What have you hidden from your OH?!

The wife

Visit site
As title suggests... What have you hidden from your OH's... I've owned my new horse for 2 weeks now, in joint ownership with my mother and neither my father or my husband actually know yet... He's a beautiful thing, potential Dressage/Eventing animal with amazing breeding but quirky...

I'm not sure when will be the best time to tell the husband as in process of buying a house and car has gone Kerput... I have my priorities sorted obviously! Unfortunately husband still thinks horse is in for training for a client... Is it feasible to keep this going for a while?!

So come on guys, what IS the best thing you have managed to keep secret from your other half and how long did you manage it for??

Elsiecat

Visit site
Not 'OH' but I'm constantly telling my mum that things cost less than they did :eek: I live with my auntie and still manage to pretend my horse is on loan :eek:

Scarlett

Visit site
Wow, I didn't know people actually had to do this... I have 3 horses and have hidden nothing, I have the full support of my OH just as I support him mountain biking. The day I need to hide something will be the day we have to sit down and think about our relationship.

glamourpuss

Visit site
It was only when one of my horses turned up after a move to another part of the country that my husband realised that she wasn't a livery I looked after.... In my defence he did just presume & never asked :)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Nothing. I always fess up eventually :D Its saddles with me, been through so many trying to get a good fit, he's given up asking about them now!

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I recently bought a Baudet du Poitou anesse foal after the death of one of my donkeys. The foal won't be coming to our farm until 19 October. In the meantime, my remaining donkey needed a friend. So, I purchased a 5 year old Baudet du Poitou anesse in France. My husband was on a business trip for 3 weeks and knew nothing about the 5 year old. She was transported to my farm in one of the easiest, least complicated transactions I've ever experienced. She's been here since 19 September. I never mentioned it to my OH when he rang from the States. He returned home on 29 September. The first thing I did when he arrived, was take him down to the donkey paddock. He was smitten. I figured I'd let Thea the donkey sell herself. He knows about the foal, but he hasn't seen her. When he does, I know it will be another case of love at first sight.

The wife

Visit site
Also not technically an OH one but when I was about 18 mum went away and left my sister with Strict instructions not to have a party, not to kill anything, look after the house and don't buy any horses.

Well she went away, my beautiful kitten died, we didn't have a party, we looked after the house on the day she returned and yes we bought a pony without her knowing. He was paid for, transported and at home within 3 days of s trying him. Thankfully she's a sucker for a pretty face so he got to stay. He was a monster though and turned out to be dangerous so maybe it wasn't a good idea!

Copperpot

Visit site
Nothing lol. He's fully aware of the amount of money I waste on horses :) just bought a new one and it was his idea. Horse came in on sales livery at my yard and first time he saw him ridden he said "that little horse would suit you, buy him" He does roll his eyes when I buy get another rug thou :)

Fransurrey

Visit site
Wow, I didn't know people actually had to do this... I have 3 horses and have hidden nothing, I have the full support of my OH just as I support him mountain biking. The day I need to hide something will be the day we have to sit down and think about our relationship.

This! I don't tell him what to do with his money and he's the same with mine (although I know for a fact he spends more on lorries and tractors than I do on ponies, so I have him over a barrel, har de har!).

Fools Motto

Visit site
I've hidden the stash of chocolate!! Mine, all mine! :D:eek:

Nothing really REALLY horsey... Penny was 'on loan' for a while though! ;);)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I wouldn't dream of hiding anything like a horse. My OH has made it perfectly clear that should I ever want a third horse, one of the other two would have to go. One has been retired for three years due to injury and I am currently just attempting to bring her back into partial work (will never be more than a light hack), the other probably won't ever be ridden again and is only ten :(

I can't believe people would hide such a big financial cost and commitment from their partners! Especially if money is tight. How would you feel if he bought a new car and didn't tell you? Pretended someone had lent it to him? And it was going to cost him a massive deposit and at least £300 a month repayments. I know I would be furious.

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
I've hidden the stash of chocolate!! Mine, all mine! :D:eek:

I'm yet to find a safe enough hiding place!

I wouldn't dream of hiding anything like a horse. My OH has made it perfectly clear that should I ever want a third horse, one of the other two would have to go. One has been retired for three years due to injury and I am currently just attempting to bring her back into partial work (will never be more than a light hack), the other probably won't ever be ridden again and is only ten :(

I can't believe people would hide such a big financial cost and commitment from their partners! Especially if money is tight. How would you feel if he bought a new car and didn't tell you? Pretended someone had lent it to him? And it was going to cost him a massive deposit and at least £300 a month repayments. I know I would be furious.

I agree entirely, I wouldn't have bought our horse if he hadn't agreed, even though I used my own money. Big financial decisions shouldn't be taken unilaterally in an honest and open relationship.

Ventus

Visit site
I have never hidden anything from my OH, we make decisions together on everything ( apart from when he bought a 4x4! :mad: )

However, my mum thought my last 2 horses/ponies were on loan. She knows my new boy was bought but she just moans about money. I have worked since I was 14, and have always afforded my horses myself. :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I pay for everything myself (and I mean everything not just the horses but all the house hold bills, mortgage, EVERYTHING). I do not tell my oh what I have spent on anything like that because its a constant battle to get him to contribute to normal living expenses (ie our daughter and the loo roll he wipes his backside on!). If he thought I had money spare to spend on horses it would be even harder to extract any from him. (it's not that he hasn't got any just that he quite likes living for free and saving all his). And yes you could say that's ridiculous sort him out blah blah but believe me I have a tried and this is the best I can come up with. I wouldn't let him stop me doing anything however.

So it's not just as simple as you might think those of you who have straight forward relationships!!

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm yet to find a safe enough hiding place!

Chocolate doesn't last long enough to be hidden when I'm around!!:eek:

I agree entirely, I wouldn't have bought our horse if he hadn't agreed, even though I used my own money. Big financial decisions shouldn't be taken unilate
rally in an honest and open relationship.

I agree too. I would be mortified to lie like that to my OH, or even my family. I like to think we are partners in everything.. We may row over things a bit, but we sort them out. My OH looks after our horses when I'm away, so I'd never get away with it anyway!

Sophstar

Visit site
I don't lie but he knows it's alot of money keeping two oldies comfortable.

I generally put everything on the credit card as we earn points off it and as he's the 1 who pays it off and then I pay him back, he knows the full extent of (most) of my spending!

He whinges about how much they cost but I reassure him this will be the only time I will have 2 of them! He is secretly looking forward to my future of 1 horse and I think my bank account will too :rolleyes:

Our money is our own and he doesn't provide a penny to the boys and I pay half of EVERYTHING...rent, food, bills, insurance etc despite the fact he earns almost double my salary. It just means he's saving ALOT faster than I can for a mortgage.

maree t

Visit site
we are lucky in that our money is just that, ours, we both work. He does cringe at how much the ponies cost but hes come to terms with it after 23 years !!. I always tell him what we are doing but he always likes to say no at first. Daughter has just fallen in love with a new pony , so the work to swing him round has started , drip drip drip !!.
Friend of mine got a horse without telling her hubby. she had it 3 months before he found out. She then got rid of her. A few months later he found straw in the back of her car and asked where she had hidden it this time. She had bought the straw for the rabbit !!

debsey1

Visit site
I rang a similar thread to this several months ago about hiding horsey things from our partners.

To others that say they don't lie, I don't either....I just don't confess! If he asks then I'll tell. I would never buy another equine without asking I couldn't get away with that much but I don't confess to how many lessons I've had at £25 a pop or how much I've spent on little extra's he doesn't ask so I don't say, simples!

Boxers

Visit site
I pay for everything myself (and I mean everything not just the horses but all the house hold bills, mortgage, EVERYTHING). I do not tell my oh what I have spent on anything like that because its a constant battle to get him to contribute to normal living expenses (ie our daughter and the loo roll he wipes his backside on!). If he thought I had money spare to spend on horses it would be even harder to extract any from him. (it's not that he hasn't got any just that he quite likes living for free and saving all his). And yes you could say that's ridiculous sort him out blah blah but believe me I have a tried and this is the best I can come up with. I wouldn't let him stop me doing anything however.

So it's not just as simple as you might think those of you who have straight forward relationships!!

I am shocked that your OH keeps ALL his wages to himself and you pay for everything! Perhaps you should send him a monthly bill for half tthe expenses
And a contribution to his daughter's care.

Some men are unbelievably selfish.

My OH and I only have 'our' money, it is all in one pot and I don't buy stuff without him knowing. If I were going to buy something expensive I would check with him first.