What inspires you. Or who?

MummyEms

Visit site
I love watching excellent riders and i personally love anyone with ex racehorses or full thoroughbreds doing jobs other than racing because that is what my horse is.

Who or what do u look at in the Internet for inspiration?

stangs

Visit site
I love watching Anja Beran ride, so perhaps she’s my inspiration, but I’m also aware that she’s built very differently to me so I’ll never look like her when I ride. A “standard to work towards” then rather than inspiration?

Otherwise, there’s a couple mustang trainers I like watching, just for their sensitivity and awareness of the horse. But I don’t know if they inspire me as such.

MummyEms

Visit site
yes I totally get What you
mean! I love watching Ben Maher ride as he rides so quietly and effortlessly- Also Warwick schiller oyoutake who teaches manners and respect so well.
I wont ever look like them as Im a lady for one haha,but they really inspire me to be the best I can be.
I also quite like looking at horses dressed smartly in the colours I love (navy and gold or navy and white for me,haha)
But my favourite thing is probably to
see someones bond trust and partnership with their horse...its very inspirational to me

Muddywellies

Visit site
I don't admire top riders. I do admire people who do it on a shoe string with limited facilities and funds, working full time not in the horse industry, on horses not bred for the job etc etc. Someone I know used to get terribly frustrated at 'only' getting upper 50%'s at PSG who fitted the above description and she'll never understand (despite me telling her umpteen times) how she totally inspires me.

PurBee

Visit site
Lots of youtube trainers are inspiring. There was one particular chap, australian, who i saw a few yrs back, not a youtube trainer ‘star’, but i havent been able to find him again.

His approach was fascinating - he was very soft-spoken, and ultra relaxed re-training these ‘troubled’ horses. He wore a lapel mic for the video so was very easy to hear him, and the way he spoke to the horse.
I recall vividly a large warmblood he was re-training for spooking at jumps. This horse was throwing shapes just being near a small jump. He had him on a long lunge line and guiding him with a lunge whip towards the jump saying “let’s give this a go shall we mate?”…..the horse approaches, then spooks last minute, rears and shakes his head, having a spook-fest as the trainer is whispering softly “hmm you’re not too keen are you. That’s fine mate, you’ll get there, let’s try again shall we?” - as he gently from a distance guided the horse back around towards the jump, and the horse jumped it, still throwing shapes afterwards. Again gently encouragement given, and after 5 jumps the horse was as calm as the trainer.

Watching him train was the polar opposite of many videos with trainers chasing the horse around a round pen, lunge at their backsides, tight lunge lines and lots of expending energy.

Another trainer i like is Missy Wren, she has a very soft calm approach, using firmness rarely.

These types of trainers have shown me and taught me the value of absolute calmness around horses. It works so effectively, moreso the spookier the horse.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Professionals that are riding at top level with minimum tack/gadgets etc. There's a guy who showjumps that does this, cant remember his name but love that he does that and he rides with far less pressure on the horses to look pretty, he just looks like he chucks some basic tack on his unshod horse, jumps on and goes for some fun, his horses look far happier than the others too. Love that. I'll admit I dont really admire top riders anymore as so many of them then get outted the next day having been found to abuse their horses. I find it very disappointing so Im pretty suspicious of all of them now which is quite sad.

tristar

Visit site
Lots of youtube trainers are inspiring. There was one particular chap, australian, who i saw a few yrs back, not a youtube trainer ‘star’, but i havent been able to find him again.

His approach was fascinating - he was very soft-spoken, and ultra relaxed re-training these ‘troubled’ horses. He wore a lapel mic for the video so was very easy to hear him, and the way he spoke to the horse.
I recall vividly a large warmblood he was re-training for spooking at jumps. This horse was throwing shapes just being near a small jump. He had him on a long lunge line and guiding him with a lunge whip towards the jump saying “let’s give this a go shall we mate?”…..the horse approaches, then spooks last minute, rears and shakes his head, having a spook-fest as the trainer is whispering softly “hmm you’re not too keen are you. That’s fine mate, you’ll get there, let’s try again shall we?” - as he gently from a distance guided the horse back around towards the jump, and the horse jumped it, still throwing shapes afterwards. Again gently encouragement given, and after 5 jumps the horse was as calm as the trainer.

Watching him train was the polar opposite of many videos with trainers chasing the horse around a round pen, lunge at their backsides, tight lunge lines and lots of expending energy.

Another trainer i like is Missy Wren, she has a very soft calm approach, using firmness rarely.

These types of trainers have shown me and taught me the value of absolute calmness around horses. It works so effectively, moreso the spookier the horse.

i talk to my animals as if they understand every word, they love it, even just having a chat and a neck hug, as well as loose poles and jumps with vocal ``requests`` and promises of polos, its just such fun for them and a bit humbling when you come to realize just how many words they do understand

PurBee

Visit site
i talk to my animals as if they understand every word, they love it, even just having a chat and a neck hug, as well as loose poles and jumps with vocal ``requests`` and promises of polos, its just such fun for them and a bit humbling when you come to realize just how many words they do understand

Very humbling sometimes - i recall when my gelding was younger and he was reluctant to have his back feet trimmed/handled - i had a chat to him about how its impossible for me or anyone else to look after him properly if he wont let anyone handle his feet. Trying to convince him he’ll feel better. I then told him, if he persisted with this defiance he’ll end up in the hands of the meat man, asking him if that’s what he wanted. Literally there and then he lifted up his back foot to let me work on it!! ? I was shocked...never ever does he lift up his hinds willingly….somehow he really did grasp my jesting threat!

tristar

Visit site
Very humbling sometimes - i recall when my gelding was younger and he was reluctant to have his back feet trimmed/handled - i had a chat to him about how its impossible for me or anyone else to look after him properly if he wont let anyone handle his feet. Trying to convince him he’ll feel better. I then told him, if he persisted with this defiance he’ll end up in the hands of the meat man, asking him if that’s what he wanted. Literally there and then he lifted up his back foot to let me work on it!! ? I was shocked...never ever does he lift up his hinds willingly….somehow he really did grasp my jesting threat!

amazing

BunnyDog

Visit site
I think there can be many layers of who inspires a person and why. For sure I bought my ClipMyHorse Subscription in 2017 after I had gone to Ireland and Belgium and sat on jumpers on that side of the world and had my eyes wide opened to what all was out there. I made friends with some middle of the road and up and coming riders from both places and I watch them now and root for them.

Likewise I want to improve my style and seeing a whole world of equitation beyond the American Hunt Seat that's been the hallmark of American training my whole life, has also been fun. I sooooo want to emulate Marcus Ehning, but my body and his differ a bit and I mean...I don't ride 15 a day. :p So that progression may take a while.

I think the underlying point is that inspiration is all around us at all times and it usually triggers from people/horses/things that have what you are lacking or working on and want to attain. Or you can appreciate someone going through a struggle to get where you have been.

Em