what insurance do your oldies have?

impresario08

Visit site
I have a 17yo ex-racer, had an expensive claim for lameness/kissing spines last year and now structurally pretty much everything is excluded. He also has one leg excluded for skin conditions due to previous cellulitis. My insurance is nearly £60 a month and he's barely ridden, will come back into light hacking, schooling and perhaps in hand showing for fun in a few months. I am considering reducing him to accident/injury only but don't want to curse myself....what insurance do your veterans have?

Annagain

Visit site
When my boys turned 17, nearly 5 years ago now, their premiums shot up while their cover plummeted. I already had BHS membership for 3rd party liability so started putting £100 a month into an account for vets bills (for 2 horses). I treat it like insurance so only dip in if I would have claimed - I just pay for small stuff as I go. So far I've had to pay out £2k for M's bone scan and treatment last year so I still have about £3k in the pot. That hardest thing is to consider it your insurance. My vet was trying to keep costs down for me as he knew I wasn't insured. I had to say to him that the money was there so to give him what was necessary. The only other thing is what you do if you have an emergency before your fund is big enough. I knew my credit rating was good enough to get a 0% credit card so it was a risk worth taking.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
none of his own. He was fully insured until 19/20 with only minor exclusions and could have continued to be fully insured (ie not a veteran) policy for a fair few years after.
BUT premiums not insignificant- especially as he was hunting and the things I would do treatment wise changed as he got older - ie would always prefer the more conservative route.

On the basis that I could find the money somehow (credit card or parents as well it is mum's name in the passport) I stopped insuring.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
I stopped the insurance with my old boy 4 years ago. They wanted 1K a year with a high excess and I , with fingers crossed hoping I wasn't jinxing it, stopped the premiums, so far I have 4K in his medical fund.
Its a gamble but he's semi retired and I wouldn't put him through a operation. I have enough money in the bank to cover any vet bills.
I have BHS gold membership and my competition horse is insured at the moment.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine was fully insured until last year when he was 21 but the premiums were so high with a lot of exclusions so now just have 3rd party through BHS gold membership. However at 19 he did have an operation on his hind legs which cost around £4000 for which he was still fully insured thankfully.

It would be extremely unlikely that I would have any sort of invasive treatment done now so unless rest / comfortable retirement was an option then it would be pts. I put around £100 away a month to cover any smaller vets bills.

teddypops

Visit site
Petplan veteran insurance. Costs me £11 per month for accident and injury. I have an excess of £145 with £1000 vet cover.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I cancelled my 24yo just over 3 weeks ago and transferred it to the loan pony. I have had my money's worth from it though. X-rays for suspected splint bone, tendon scans and treatment, biggest of all the £3.5k when he stood on a nail. So many exclusions and I wouldn't put him through any sort of surgery so it wasn't worth paying any more.