What is a 'Private' yard?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
not a commercial livery. Usually owned by someone for their own use, but some might take on a livery to help with the bills or provide company for their own horse.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I read this post as What is a 'Pirate' yard, lol! Basically a private yard is someones own property, like mine at home that I offer to one or two other people to join me as a paying livery ... which by the way would never happen because liveries are a nightmare and no amount of money is worth the cr*p you have to put up with from them! :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I read this post as What is a 'Pirate' yard, lol! Basically a private yard is someones own property, like mine at home that I offer to one or two other people to join me as a paying livery ... which by the way would never happen because liveries are a nightmare and no amount of money is worth the cr*p you have to put up with from them! :)

This ^^^ absolutely! My yard is private, it's mine, all mine, to run for me, nobody else, ever. Sound selfish? Darn tootin'!

Antw23uk

Visit site
This ^^^ absolutely! My yard is private, it's mine, all mine, to run for me, nobody else, ever. Sound selfish? Darn tootin'!

Are you sitting there with a smug smile on your face? ... Yeah me to :) Hahaaa

I had a catch up with a friend last night and stories she was coming out with about other liveries on her yard, lol!!

Blurr

Visit site

LOL Looking at some threads, I think some yards may be run by pirates (and not always the owners).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Are you sitting there with a smug smile on your face? ... Yeah me to :) Hahaaa

I had a catch up with a friend last night and stories she was coming out with about other liveries on her yard, lol!!

other than never having to faff about shifting jumps out of the school.... I didn't like being on a private yard as much as being at livery tbh so you can be smug all you like :tongue3: Was nice having the horses just out of the back door but i was lonely. :rolleyes3:

Antw23uk

Visit site
other than never having to faff about shifting jumps out of the school.... I didn't like being on a private yard as much as being at livery tbh so you can be smug all you like :tongue3: Was nice having the horses just out of the back door but i was lonely. :rolleyes3:

Yeah joking aside it can be lonely and so I can understand why people get a livery for company as well as a few extra pennies each month. I dont mind my own company which is a bonus and actually I feel I have a much better, deeper bond with my horse now than I did on livery .. not sure, that's how it feels anyway!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site

As above exactly. Private yard is privately owned for the sole use of the owner, As soon as you take on a paying livery you can forget the term 'Private Yard' it's a Livery Yard.

skint1

Visit site
I think it'd be fun to be a on a "Pirate Yard" like when Facebook has "talk like a Pirate day" arrrrr matey!

I've been on 1 private yard and 1 livery yard in my horsey experiences. I think actually in both cases a lot depends on the attitudes of the people in charge, it's about finding a place that fits with you rather than you moving in and expecting it to fit with you, if that makes sense.
I've said this before but I personally would probably avoid the private yard set up only because I would worry that the person really didn't want me there and I 'd be acutely aware that it was their home and I think I'd just be a nervous wreck.

Blurr

Visit site
I think it'd be fun to be a on a "Pirate Yard" like when Facebook has "talk like a Pirate day" arrrrr matey!

I've been on 1 private yard and 1 livery yard in my horsey experiences. I think actually in both cases a lot depends on the attitudes of the people in charge, it's about finding a place that fits with you rather than you moving in and expecting it to fit with you, if that makes sense.
I've said this before but I personally would probably avoid the private yard set up only because I would worry that the person really didn't want me there and I 'd be acutely aware that it was their home and I think I'd just be a nervous wreck.

Did you pay to be on the private yard? And if you did, why don't you think that was a (very small) livery yard?

skint1

Visit site
I did pay of course, and do chores as directed, I guess thinking about it, perhaps it was a small livery yard. There was me/daughter and 2 other liveries. The YO was (and still is) a good friend of mine, she had her own way of doing things and was often upset with one or other of the liveries (and sometimes us) which made the atmosphere quite difficult at times, and in a small group it was hard to avoid.

We moved to preserve our friendship and she eventually stopped having liveries, and I couldn't blame her for that, it was stressful for her if she was not in complete control.

baran

Visit site
I keep seeing posts were people say they are on a private yard. What does it mean to you?

To me it means one where owner takes in a few liveries, may or may not offer full livery, but doesn't employ any staff so it is up to you to be there for vet, farrier, etc. First yard was like that but current one will take care of this for you.

And before this comes up yet again, full livery in the area doesn't include exercise, grooming or tack cleaning, simply care and feed!

Blurr

Visit site
To me it means one where owner takes in a few liveries, may or may not offer full livery, but doesn't employ any staff so it is up to you to be there for vet, farrier, etc. First yard was like that but current one will take care of this for you.

And before this comes up yet again, full livery in the area doesn't include exercise, grooming or tack cleaning, simply care and feed!

So, you define it by either the yard owner not employing staff or the number of liveries?

What number of liveries do you think turns 'private yard' to 'livery yard'?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

I've had the odd pirates on mine in the past :D

*waves at Cortez from my own little fiefdom* :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It always baffles me.... "private livery yard", how can it be private, it's a business taking money...

Private at one point was defined as 'non-commercial' - which basically means not making a living from livery, hence some of the 'older generation' refer to private livery yard, hope this helps?
After all, nobody could live off or break even if taking 1 or 2 DIy's or even part liveries, could they? :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
We have a private yard, it's just our family there. In the future depending on what we do with the horses, and if mini SF wants to ride we would take on another 1 or 2, but more for grass/retirement livery. Although our arena pp stipulated never being run as a business, so I'm not sure!

LD&S

Visit site
I know it's not strictly speaking private but I imagine it as somewhere with one or two liveries who are friends and no additional staff employed as opposed to a yard open to the general public.

Damnation

Visit site
Private to me is when you have your own land/field/property and it is for sole use of the owner.

Livery yard is when you take liveries.

By the old definition that TFF has highlighted, my yard could be classed as either!

It is very small, YO rents it from an estate and takes on people to cover the rent, it isn't a business, YO has a full time job and makes no profit from the yard. Strictly DIY only. Currently 3 other owners on site, soon to be 4 and that is YO's max to cover the rent and bills. It enables her to keep hers there too (she lives round the corner so very handy for her) whilst splitting the cost.

To me though it would still be a livery yard :p

Bright_Spark

Visit site
A private yard to my mind is one either owned or rented for sole use, or perhaps by two or more friends - private in that they would not advertise for 'outsiders' to be on the yard with them.

A livery yard is one that rents out spaces to anybody.

rara007

Visit site
Ours is only our immediate family stabled there at the family home. We do employ staff but I still count it as private. We don't offer any form of livery or arena hire. I count us as a private yard.