What is an Isolator on a horsebox???

Louby

Visit site
Ive recently bought a horsebox, stressed I wanted an isolator .... it wasnt put on, Ive since took it back to have the much needed isolator?? I understood this stopped the battery going flat when it was stood as the tacho keeps going and drains the battery and is also an anti theft device. Now Im feeling stupid as Ive been told this isnt the case by 2 people and all I needed to do was undo the key on the dash and lift the case to stop the tacho. I feel like a right wally now as Ive made such an issue out of 'having to have one'

kanter

Visit site
An isolator is a separate 'key' that switches off the battery. It's usually a plastic or allen type key close to the battery itself that breaks the connection. It means you won't run the battery down if , for example, you forget to turn the radio off. Also means someone can't hot wire your box to start it up. No idea what he key on the dash might be as I'm a bit of a techno-numpty!

charliesarmy

Visit site
My isolator is a handle which you turn on/off its located near to the batteries (but not on show!!!) once in the off it cuts all power to the batteries so your never going to get flat batteries the isolater has to be switched on to start so unless a would be thief new where it was the horsebox is going nowhere so also acts like a immobilisor...... well worth getting one the ammount of friends what have left the internal light on and drained the batteries.....
blush.gif

toffeesmarty

Visit site
My insurance company stipulate an isolator has to be fitted if a box is valued at £10k+. They see it as an anti-theft system so you weren't silly by insisting one is fitted. Mine also acts like a steering lock as if it is 'on' I can't turn the key in the ignition to start the engine.

Louby

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, dont feel so daft now. I felt a right div as Ive been so ' I want an isolator, I NEED AN ISOLATOR stamps feet, I have to have an isolator! Phew, dont look so neurotic afterall.
Thanks again

LCobby

Visit site
No need to feel a wally.
Unlocking the tacho won't prevent anything left on accidentally running done the battery,
And it helps avoid opportunist theives, esp if the battery and isolator are iside a locked side skirt..

gummybear

Visit site
I bought a new lorry recently and they told me exactly the same thing about the taco when they didnt fit an isolater, even though I specifically asked for one! V interesting, although I got mine on the South Coast. Battery went dead, so ended up taking the lorry back and insisting that they fit the isolator at no extra charge!!