What is GOOD about your livery yard?

_MizElz_

Visit site
There are so many threads here about problems people are having when on livery yards - with YOs, other liveries, facilities etc - it's quite sad that so many people think being at livery can only be a bad thing :( I once thought that having to keep a horse at livery would be the worst thing in the world - I was fortunate in that I grew up with stables at the end of the garden, but when I was 12 everything changed and we had to get used to a completely different way of life. But for me, being at livery has really opened my eyes and broadened my horsey outlook :)

The yard we are on now is so fabulous, I can honestly say that although our intention is to one day be able to afford our own place again, if I had to stay at livery forever it would not grieve me to stay here. I've made so many friends (and I am a bit of a social recluse!) and the YO is just fantastic - everyone knows where they stand, and no one would be worried about going to him to address a problem. The atmosphere is lovely with, I would say, minimal bitching (you're always going to get some, but there is FAR less than I experienced at a previous yard!) And for me, one of the most amazing things is that through the new friendships I have made, Ellie and I have started competing again, which I never thought would ever happen.

So - enough of the negativity - what is good about YOUR yard? :)

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I've been on my own before. I prefer a good livery yard with facilities and nice people. I am fortunate to be on one such as this - indoor and outdoor school, hacking, and really close to home (like 2 min in car, or 30 min walk). I like my YO, I like the people on the yard, I like the camradarie. Someone about to have a laugh, to go for a hack, go to shows. Someone there for a second opinion, or even to look in on ned if need be. I'm happy. :D

HarrietLong

Visit site
I LOVE My livery yard.

* The huge deep white shavings beds with large banks
* The big airy stables
* The pride the owner takes in every aspect of the yard from hanging baskets outside the stable, to spotless beds, to immaculate horses
* The fact that my two donkeys can go out together in huge lush fields
* The people are lovely
* The ad lib hay!!!
* The fact feet are picked out and hosed when they come in
* The fact that the owner genuinely appreciates and loves the horses
* Lovely hacking
* Beautiful large school

Mind you I probably appreciate it so much as the last livery yard I was on was a hell hole (not in terms of the place, it was very pretty) but in terms of the management and treatment of the horses.

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
I Love my yard too would never keep horses at home unless i had enough room for liverys too
My yard has lovely big airy stables
Our YO really cares about every horse individually
The turnout is great and 24/7 in the summer
Really convienient location
Nice hacking really close by
Company for hacks ect and just hanging around the yard with the horses
Fun yard shows with something for everyone

I love it, would never think of moving!

TallyHo123

Visit site
*We have fab grazing, they can live out all year if you want.
*The hacking is great, lots of off road hacking, 40minute walk from the beach etc.
*We have an outdoor and an indoor, the outdoor is fab, indoor not so good but its something to use when the weathers bad!
*The yard owner is lovely and very laid back, will go out of her way to sort things out if any problems
*Its pretty easy going, like every yard there is bitching but its behind closed doors which in a way is better, at my old livery yard people thought it was their right to give your their opinions.
*Its very safe and secure
*Most importantly my 2 little beasties are very happy there :)

JoJo_

Visit site
The other liveries! They are so friendly! I am moving to Aberdeenshire by the end of the month so i'll be sad to leave them and hope the new yard I go to is as friendly.

Brandy

Visit site
Great YO - mends fences , stables anything asa soon as it breaks. Empties muck trailer very frequently. Fertilizes and weeds fields. Cuts verges, keeps walkways mud free with gravelly type stuff.
Good grazing
individual turnout, but you can share and rotate fields if you 'find a friend' to do so with.
Excellent stable, on site feed and bedding at reasonable prices.
No mud, no mud, oh and no mud!!
Good people
plenty of hacking
Floodlit school.

cons - no overnight turnout. Thats it.

flojo1

Visit site
I love my Livery Yard
-YO does all work herself, no varrying staff and you no when you txt her she is actually the one looking after your horse
- Strict routine and complete pride YO has for the looking after of both yard and horses
- loves all horses as her own
- well maintained facilities
- all year turnout in designated groups
- hot water shower
-free use of top loader washing machine
-the other liveries
- fitted hay bars in all stables (no more haynets :D)
-Locked gate onto yard
-secure tack room with bugular alarm

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Year round turnout;
Assistance when needed;
Clear rules;
No bitchiness;
Friendly people always ready to lend a hand;
Well maintained facillities;
Easy going.

monkeybum13

Visit site
- Lovely YM
- Friendly People
- Nice, airy, spacious stables
- Arena (have never had use of an arena before) and a play pen
- Large turnout
- Fab hacking
- Nice people/horses for company on hacks
- Normally someone around to talk to, you're not on your own all of the time
- Instructor on yard
- YM does late night checks
- Water drinkers in stables, no more lugging water buckets

:D

Last edited:

catdragon

Visit site
-Rubber matting in my mares stable.
-Impeccably cared for, immaculate beds.
-Skipped out late at night after I've gone home, so less stable stains (helps loads with my white horse!)
-Ad lib hay
-Good grazing in fields with selected/compatible field mates
-Muck trailer emptied regularly
-Close to home, less than 2 miles/4 mins by car
-Proper routine, my mare is extremely settled

Ally_F

Visit site
I LOVE my current yard!

My TB is a bit of a drama queen (king?) - I had him 5 years on my first yard and he was never really happy. At this yard he settled in and was so much happier just after a few days! - everyone who comes to the yard says the same thing, the YO must put something in the water. ;)

I also love the "all fed together"-ness on this yard as that was a big problem, I would used to have to be at my old yard at 7am even on the weekend to ensure my boy was fed first so he didn't upset himself. Now the YO feeds, and puts out every weekday, and on the weekend whoever is up first feeds all horses (feeds made up in a bunker ready).

I also love not having to go up before work - having a nice school - not too many horses, and just the general relaxed vibe that is always around our yard :)
+ I must add, that my old yard was really bitchy and I found myself going to the horse at stupid times to avoid everyone ... but now I have met my best friend on this yard, and I enjoy riding again, and talking to the other owners without hiding :)

maletto

Visit site
I love the yard I'm at because it's not your conventional livery yard - it's basically a family farm where they have about 40 assorted horses of their own (nearly all living out) and 4-5 liveries. It's so peaceful there and there's no one to turn their noses at whatever you choose to do. It also means that my boy is looked after as one of their own, which to me is priceless.

I also love
- turnout in a group unless you want individual (easily cordoned off with electric)
- indoor school & outdoor paddock with the choice of setting up jumps in either
- completely off road hacking

Last edited:

Equinimity

Visit site
I love my yard because a) my parents own it b) my livery is free c) My hay and straw is free. ;-) It used to be a dairy farm when I was young but then they diversified and now have lovely liveries and nice facilities. Sorry to rub it in guys but I genuinely appreciate how lucky I am to be in this situation!

[59668]

Visit site
I love my yard.

It's quiet, and peaceful, but busy. The other liveries are really nice, and the staff are so helpful and generous with their time.

Got a beautiful school, and a roundpen, and 2 polocrosse pitches. Lovely hacking across the farm.

Oh, and one of the best horsemen in the country on hand!

Kathyb

New User
Visit site
The support I receive from the owners, the community of riding friends, the care my horse receives, and best of all my horse loves it - bogs Hall Stables Kirkby Malzeard!!!!

miss_c

Visit site
The people and the YO are lovely. Yes there's cliques, but I personally don't have anybody that I feel I don't get on with. We have an indoor school (small but does the job!) and an outdoor school, jumping paddock, in-house events regularly... It was a yard I never thought I would be happy at, but I absolutely LOVE it there.

ANGI

Visit site
My livery yard near Chigwell in Essex is amazing. Took me ages to find a yard like this.
The yard manager's standard of care to every individual horse(and owner for that matter!) is second to none. And I can switch from DIY-full livery when ever I want depending on my work schedule.
The horses are all settled and happy, with good turnout, set routines, enjoyable hacking and nice school.
The yard manager took me on my first cross country schooling session about a year and a half ago and then started teaching me(she is a BHS approved instructor but only charges £10-£20 to her liveries)
We have now affliated to British eventing and she comes with me up and down the country with me.
She's been a huge wealth of knowledge, (40 years running a yard)and is always happy to help and advise everyone on everything if they need it.
Everyone down the yard is lovely and is my second home. Only thing is, 4 liveries are leaving this month due to owners personal circumstances and relocating.
Yard manager cant afford to keep runing yard if boxes stay empty for very long as has to pay rent on all boxes, even if vacant so she may have to close yard!
I can't think of anywhere else I would want to keep my horse as we are both so happy. Is anyone looking or know someone that is looking for livery near Chigwell Essex???
Also if anyone interested in competing, I always have a spare place for another horse in my horsebox(currently doing be90/be100 and british novice showjumping and dressage)...great to have company and share diesel...

Visit site
- Lovely Yard Owner and Yard Manager
- Lovely big stables with rubber matting and shavings
- Post and rail fencing
- Great facilities (indoor school, outdoor school, horse walker, wash box and solarium)
- Most of the liveries are really friendly and we have a livery club where we organise lessons and competitions just for us and use the money raised from it to buy things for the yard
- Onsite competitions and lessons available
- Someone lives onsite

:)

xRobyn

Visit site
24/7/365 turnout.

Our stables are mediocre, we don't have level concrete ground, hacking is on main roads, only have fields to ride in, less than perfect fencing; but pony is happy and healthy!

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
I love my yard...
It has a lovely atmosphere.
Everyones so friendly and helpful.
They don't poke their noses in a give an opinion where its not wanted.
There's a hose pipe.
I can drive up the track to my field to fill water!
Arena... With tons of jumps :)
I can drive into yard and park my car right outside stables which is going to be great for when the baby is here.
Stables are huge!
Still have 24/7 turnout in summer.
A flat to make coffee/change/dry off. Etc.
Great hacking.
More storage then last place.

Although, I am now paying a lot more then I was before and it is further away, I wouldn't change it at all!! :)