What is the daily routine for you guys on DIY and part livery?

Joyous70

Visit site
My boys are out 24/7 365 days a year and im on DIY.

I visit once a day after work so get there around 5ish. If im riding theyre fetched in while i poo pick (summer only) check fencing & fill water troughs, boys are checked over brushed, ridden then fed, rug back on and back out in field. If im not riding, i will feed in field adjust rugs fill water troughs check fencing, Hay out (winter only).

******runs off and hides for admititng to only visiting once a day********

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
DIY go to the yard any time after 9 - and before 10.30 if im late my mates will throw her breakfast in and ill come and muck out after/while shes eating
then do waters and make feed/haylegde nets and after either wait and have a chat then ride then turn out or just turn out instead of riding and go home and ride about 4-5pm and then feed and hay about 6pm

if shes staying in i do all the same but just skip out in the evening then feed/hay :)

stacey_lou

Visit site
Im on DIY but depending on my working week sometimes I on Part

DIY -

Go up the yard at 0700, she eats whilst I muck out, clean feed bowls and replace water, lay her bed, rug her up if needed and turn out

return around 1800 (after work) get her in from the field, ride unless its her day off, rug up, stable and feed before leaving around 2000 usually.

Part - no morning duty but will have to do all my morning jobs in the evening

Sanolly

Visit site
When my two were on DIY in a yard my routine was, friend fed and turned out about 7/8am with hers as she lives on the yard. then I would get up there about 10.30/11am and ride then they go back in field. Get to work for 2pm, finish at 10.30pm then back down to yard to do beds/nets/waters/am+pm feeds then bring them in and get home for about midnight.

Walrus

Visit site
I'm DIY and live super close to the yard (actually lodging on-site at the moment :D). I start aout 7.30, turn out, top up field water, muck out (shavings bed), water and hay. I then get changed and leave for work about 8.30-8.35. The yard then bring him in at lunchtime (he's a chubber so on restricted grazing).

Get home from work about 6ish, quick change then quick groom, ride, quick groom again (sort his hair - he has hair issues at the moment!) then hay, skip out and feed. I think I've honed it down to the most efficent it can be since I got him in february. It's great being on-site as like last night when he got soaked hacking I could stick his cooler on and then come out at 9.30pm to take it off when he was dry! :)

JVB

Visit site
My boys are out 24/7 365 days a year and im on DIY.

I visit once a day after work so get there around 5ish. If im riding theyre fetched in while i poo pick (summer only) check fencing & fill water troughs, boys are checked over brushed, ridden then fed, rug back on and back out in field. If im not riding, i will feed in field adjust rugs fill water troughs check fencing, Hay out (winter only).

******runs off and hides for admititng to only visiting once a day********

This is similar to me only mine sometimes come in at nght in winter if the weather is bad in which case they get chucked out at 7am with no breakfast and I muck out, empty water buckets and rush home... and another bad mummy - I often leave outdoor rugs on to save time.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
My mum owns the yard so its a bit different for me,

1st person down feed all horse, hay and feed-I do this twice a week so am early that day.
I get to the yard at 6.50am and he's eating his hay. I muck out mine and my sisters pony, change water buckets, I then groom my horse (in winter change rugs). I do as much as I can in the time I have. I leave at 7.50.
My mum turns out at 9am.

My mum brings in summer 5ish so I can bring in mine. In winter there in at 2-3 with hay and stable rugs.

I arrive 5pm- groom, ride, make next days haynets and skip out. Pop pick if need to. I leave around 6.30-7pm.

Joyous70

Visit site
JVB - Phew im glad im not the only one :D mine do sometimes have a night in usually at weekends in the winter as i know i can get down in the mornings to sort them out! Theres plenty of folk around during the day in the week who would let me know if there was a problem & i can pay YM to turnout if i so wish, however, with two it proves very expensive :rolleyes: even if leaving rugs on, the old man (23) didn't have a rug on all last winter either seriously bad mum :eek:

Annagain

Visit site
I'm on DIY and horses are out 24/7 at the moment. In the summer, I go up once a day, unless it's very sunny when I go up in the morning to put suncream on Archie's nose. If I'm not riding that night I'll just feed them then and give them a check over so I don't have to go back. Otherwise I go up after work to feed, give them a check over and (if I'm riding to ride. They have 40 acres between 10 of them so we don't poo pick. There are 9 liveries and we're all up there at different times and all keep an eye on all the horses as well as the YO who also has one of the horses in the field when we're there so I know I'll get a call if there's something wrong. I have a sharer for Archie so do this on Tues, Weds, Fri she does Mon and Thurs. At weekends I tend to go up in the morning, ride and feed after that so they're done for the day by lunchtime. I technically share Monty on Thurs Fri Sat Sun but his owner tends to leave me to it in the summer as it's no extra work so he gets fed when archie does by me and Archie's sharer.

In the winter we've got quite a rota going. Mon, Tues, Weds M's owner puts Archie, Monty and another friend's horse out at about 7. She mucks Monty out and gets his hay feed etc ready for the night. I or Archie's sharer then go up after work to muck Archie out, do hay and feed etc then bring them both in and ride if we're going to ride. Thursday I put them and the other horse out, again at about 7 (up at 6.45) muck out Monty and get him ready for the night. Sharer does Archie's stable and brings them in. Friday, other girl puts them out along with her horse and I do both stables after work and get the boys in. At weekends sharer and I are both up in the morning, we turn other horse out, muck out and then ride our two between us. Other horse's owner brings them in in the evening. She likes a night out so usually has a hangover in the morning so this system suits all of us. By working together we only have to go up once a day most of the time although there are always times (for farrier, or if lesson times aren't compatible) when we have to go twice. Sharing the workload with other liveries in the same position (working full time) makes life a lot easier!

Winklepoker

Visit site
India is out at night and in during the day atm and I have 2 other horses to m/o for a bit of extra wonga so...

7am arrive at the yard
Bring in India (goes on walker if Im not riding) groom and bandage and feed
M/O boys beds
8.30 leave for work

4.30pm arrive at yard
Ride India, groom, turn her out
M/O her bed + hay/water etc for the next day

Just switch the above round for winter :)

only_me

Visit site
My horse is fed by YO at appx. 7am or there abouts. Horse is a special case though, as he can choose to live out 24/7 or come in and sleep in his stable - the gate into the field opens from his yard which opens from his stable! I never actually shut the stable door.

When Im not working, he is kept in his yard (loose) and has hay. I arrive app. 9.30am and groom, im normally riding by 10am. Then finish usually between 11am and 12am depending on what we are doing, and then he gets turned out and I muck out.
He comes in around 5pm and is fed at 5-6pm.
He is either loose in the yard or the gate is left open to the field so he can come and go as he pleases!

If I am working, I ride at 6am and he is fed afterwards, and then turned out :)

Maisy

Visit site
My horses are out 24/7 during the summer, so I tend to only go once a day....whenever it suits me really! I feed them all, check them over and poo pick. If it is very sunny, I go first thing to get the sun cream on!

In the winter, they come in at night.

I generally get to the yard about 9.30/10am. I give them breakfast (more like brunch compared to the other HHO's horses!), muck out, turn out and ride whoever I am going to ride.

They are out all until just before dark, so that varies between 4ish and 7ish depending on the depth of the winter!

When I get them in at night, I feed them, check them over and change rugs.

They are not checked after I leave at night, as my horses are the only ones on the yard....

There is a house on-site, so if one of them was crashing about the yard owners would call me to go and see what the problem is!

Despite being in sometimes from 4pm until 10am, they rarely run out of hay, and never run out of water! I used to worry that they were in so long, but they really don't care....because they don't get disturbed before I get there, they don't know what time it is!

On previous yards, my mare has box walked for the hours between the first person going (which was 5.30am) and me getting there, which can't ever be before 9am as I have kids to get to school and my OH leaves for work at 6am. Now, her stable is clean and 99% of her droppings are still in one piece!!!

mytwofriends

Visit site
Currently I'm at the yard between 7 and 7.30am to bring the boys in. I only have to hose legs, pick feet and take off rugs if necessary, then pop them in their stables with their breakfasts. I'm usually the first DIY at the yard, although YO is sometimes around. I'm normally gone within 30 minutes.

Then back to yard around 4pm to feed the big boy, turn them both out, muck etc. It usually takes me a couple of hours, which includes nattering time!

I'll have a similar routine in the winter, although they'll be in at night/out during the day. Mucking will still need to be in the evening before I bring them in as I'm pushed for time in the mornings as it is!

It works out pretty well for me, and fortunately I have two daughters and a part-loaner to help out too :)

flump

Visit site
Winter....
6.30 am Feed and the I go home (about 5 steps from stables!!) and get dressed etc (yes i feed in my pj's :O)
7.00 am Muck out, hay, water...I also hay and water other horses on yard.
8.00 am. Ride one/Turn Out
9.30-work
1pm-2pm Bring all 3 in, have luch and lunge one
5pm,Groom,Rug Changes etc, Muck Out, Hay Water, Feed

Summer.....

7am Bring all 3 in and Ride 2
1-2pm ride 3rd
5pm, Groom, fuss etc, Turn out then prepare beds for next day

Spit That Out

Visit site
I'm on DIY.

Weekdays, I get to the yard for 7am, breakfast, Rug un rug (if necessary) Turn out, muck out, fill that nights hay net & water leave for work at 8.30.
Get to the yard for 5.30pm bring in, tea, Rug un rug (if necessary) Groom leave yard about 7pm.
He's only 2 so no riding yet but give it another year or so i will add in riding to the evening.
In the winter the YO brings in the horses at 2pm so that saves me a small job!!!

Weekends I get to the yard for 8am, breakfast, Rug un rug (if necessary) Groom, Turn out, muck out leaving bed up, fill that nights hay net & water, Poop pick & spend a bit of time going for a walk (baby stuff!!!)
Get to the yard for 6pm Put down Bed, bring in, tea, Rug un rug (if necessary) Groom leave yard about 7pm.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I live and work in London but choose to keep my horse outside - it's cheaper and the turnout and hacking are much better.
I have him on 5 part livery.

Summer

He is out at night and in during the day.
Weekdays, he gets brought in and taken care of by the yard - it's a small yard so he sees the same people all the time.
He gets his dinner about 4pm so it's digested by the time I get to the yard (about 6:30 - 7pm depending on my work schedule).
Groom, ride, stand around and chat to people. I turn him out.
I do him at the weekends so get his box ready the night before with feed and hay ready and he gets brought in about 7am. I go up after lunch and spend the afternoon at the yard then turn him out when I've finished.

Winter

He is in at night and out in the day.
So yard turn him out 7am and bring him in and feed him about 4pm and I don't turn him out after I've ridden but skip out and top up water/hay if needed.
Weekend he is turned out 7am and I come up a bit earlier - maybe late morning and muck out before I catch him and ride him

Even on part livery I often don't get home till gone 10pm so I give him a day off each week and I can catch up with stuff.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I am on DIY.

I get to the yard at 6am Monday to Friday, feed all horses if YO hasn't already done it (whoever gets down first feeds them all, just 5 horses) start mucking out while my girl is scoffing, turn her out then finish off mucking out. Make up 3 feeds, put haylage in her stable. I get back down the yard around 4, skip out (she is brought in around 2) ride, then feed and leave the yard around 6.30.

At weekends I get down between 7.30-8am, muck out, ride then turn her out. Leave the yard around 10.30 and come back about 5 to bring her in, put her jim jams on and put to bed :D

jack9

Visit site
well past 2 days ive been at the yard at 6.15 to be back at home at 7.15 in work at 8!!

thats to muck out/waters - all jobs...

as of tomorow it changes. the yard owner will feed her, and i will go after lunch to put her out... but normally he does that too!! but as its her first time i want to do it :)

but after thursday - i will only go down once a day :)

Gooby

Visit site
I'm on DIY.

Horses fed when the first person arrives on the yard, anywhere between 6 -8am.

I am usually down anywhere between 8 and 10 depending what's happening that day (e.g. in for work by 9am, finish work at 10am etc..).

In the morning I check him over, pick feet out, ride if I have time, turn him out, muck out, fill hay net, make evening feed.

Evening I'm down between 5 and 6.30 again depending what I've been doing that day. I bring him in from the field, check him over, groom and ride if I haven't already in the morning. Then just wet his feed, give it to him and make up his breakfast. Lots of cooing over him then home lol.

I usually just go down twice a day unless farrier/vet is coming in the day, or I have a lesson or he is unwell and I check on him in the middle of the day too. Yard owner is very good though and checks they're all ok before bed, brings them in from the field if they get injured etc..

me_and_my_connie

New User
Visit site
I have Dusty at home (which is amazing) but I also care for my dads horse, especially in summer because my dad works a full time job and my mum is terrified (she works full time anyway). My routines vary but these are the basics :

SUMMER -
8am: feed Dusty grain and shannon a small net, check outdoor water-buckets (wash + fill if necessary) pick-out Dusty's feet (Shannon is a real trouble-maker with her feet and I'm only 13 so...) and spray (she's very subsceptibal to thrush), check for heat, swelling (just the basics) turn out.

12pm - Throw some hay (grass very low) and check water-buckets.

4pm - Muck-out both, fill nets and make morning and night feeds.
5pm - Bring in (shannon gets a big net and Dusty gets a small one) and groom, ride, brush/wash down and tuck her in. Unless dad is home I now groom Shannon and give her another net.

9pm - Top up hay, skip out (dad picks out Shannons feet if he's had a busy day at work) and pick out Dusty's feet and check her over.

SCHOOL -TIME -
(In Winter there turned about in the sand paddock, in summer they get the choice of field and sand paddock).
6am - Feed grain and Shan net. Check over, change rugs, pick out feet and spray, check water-buckets, turn out (with hay in winter).

7:45 - If winter there hay gets topped up here.

Dad comes home at about 1 and throws some more hay.

5pm - Come home and as summer.

Throughout the day, I'm either completing homework, out with friends or helping around the house. I go to bed at 10:00pm.

alexomahony

Visit site
Old post but just curios seen as we're coming into winter.

I have two horses on DIY (a 14.2 Connie and 15h Welsh D) and my routine is normally as follows:

Summer:

Ponies live out about 3/4 days a week and come in a couple of nights a week - our grass isn't great so they get hay at the field and they don't have any shelter so come in a few nights to relax, they often look a bit tired if they've spent more than 3 nights out on the trot! I go down mornings

They need a lot of exercise to keep trim so get ridden 6 days a week through winter and summer, usually have a Monday off after competing at the weekend. Through summer, on a Tuesday, Wed and Thursday they get ridden twice a day (weather dependent (I like to get them out galloping early morning - I ride one and lead one... luckily they're very well practiced at this now so I don't need to worry about one buggering off!)

Winter:

Winter is hard work - I arrive at the yard about 6am to muck out, haynets and turn out. Our field is a 20 min round walk so takes some time :( Get to work for 8:30 and leave at 5pm. Through the week they're turned out for two long days - Mondays and Wednesdays from about 7:15 - 5:45pm.. the grass isn't great so they have haynets and treat balls to kick around and keep them happy. They're in Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and both go out for at least a couple of hours each weekend day weather depending. I ride them both on an evening (lucky to have floodlit school!) and they still get Monday's off.

Weekends I'm really lucky to have a fantastic 15 year old sharer who comes and mucks out, rides and does their haynets. We either take them out together on long hacks or she rides them both for me. She's currently jumping my Connie BS and having regular lessons, and my Welsh D just ticks over and hunts as and when I can afford to take him.

I don't really have much of a life over winter haha I have a full time job and work in a night club bar 9-4am on Saturdays and Thursdays so life is put on hold until summer comes round again! The things we do to keep out ponies :D

How does everyone else manage the life/horse balance?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Mine is on part livery as this means he always has the same routine even when I'm stuck in the office until late or on business trips.

At the moment my trainer is helping with some rehab work so I'm lucky enough to be getting a few days off each week but usually I see him once a day. I head straight from the office to the yard after work so usually arrive at around 7ish and tend to ride 6 days a week, although if I'm really pushed for time I just lunge or pop him on the horse walker. He's fully clipped and rugged so I tend to give him a quick flick with a brush during the week, throw some tack on and am usually onboard by 7.30pm. Schooling can be anywhere between 20mins to an hour depending on what we're working on and how we're both feeling. I'm a big believer in ending on a good note, so if he gets something quickly I'm more inclined to just leave it there rather than repeating the same thing over and over just so I've schooled for an hour for example. I then untack and hot cloth him with lavender wash and then clean my tack whilst he dries in the solarium. After that it's just a case of rugging up and putting him to bed, so usually I leave the yard around about 8.30pm and am super lucky that our house is only 5 mins away.

I also try to work from home at least once a week, so on those days I usually ride in the morning or at lunch time so that my poor OH gets a break from cooking dinner each night :D

I'm on an amazing yard so have never had any qualms about how he is kept.

ETA - oops didn't realise this was an old thread...sorry guys!

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
DIY livery here.
Horses out 24/7 all year round

Summer:
Yard owner keeps an eye on them and I head up to groom and ride each day whenever I can, or when it's coolest

Winter:
Bring in for feed and hay at 8am
Home for breakfast, turn out again at 10ish or ride then.

Bring in again at 3pm for feed and hay
Turnout for the night around 4.30pm

Yard owners is on site so always keeps an eye out and it liveries are up throughout the day. Helps that I live two minutes away from the yard :)

FBDD

Visit site
I'm DIY and I feed mine at 6.45am when I arrive. Then at 7am one horse goes on walker while I start mucking out. Then ride, then turnout , then finish mucking out, do haynets ready for evening. I have a groom that I employ who brings in for me 5 days a week. In the afternoon I go back, lunge the pony, skip out, poo pick fields, groom and then feed. Late night checks are done by yard owner.

ihatework

Visit site
Winter DIY routine for me is
Midweek - feed 6.30, walk dogs while eating.
3 days a week - Put on walker while mucking/hay/water/feeds/sweep. Then ride. Then turn out. Home in front of computer by 9. Bring in 4/5ish.
2 days a week - turn out and get stable ready. Home by 7.30 to travel to client by 9. Horse is done in evening for me

Weekend - feed 7.30/8 ish, then rest depends on what else is going on.

Ben2684

Visit site
Very interesting to see everyone’s routines!

Mine is (they came in overnight from Saturday)

Arrive at yard around 5/5:15
Open gates (i am always the first there)
Feed my lad, skip out whilst he’s eating
Check other horses all present and correct
Change rug/pick out feet/generally faff
Turn him out
Muck out/lift bed
If I have time top up hay/water for the evening
Leave the yard and drive to the park and walk the dogs, home shower and work by 8

Pm
Arrive at yard 5/5:30pm
Turn down bed and make sure jay etc all ready
Bring in (groom and tack up/ride if I’m riding)
Groom/pick out feet/generally faff
Drink coffee and catch up with fellow liveries
Skip out before saying goodnight

I don’t have any poo picking as I bring in a friends horse and groom feed in return for her poo picking each morning :)

In the summer they go out 24/7 as soon as weather allows (summer fields are a flood plain) and said friend and I share mornings (her) and evening (me) when we both feed, check horses, hay, groom, ride etc etc

claireandnadia

Visit site
Mines on DIY

Mon-Friday A.M- Mum goes in on her way to work to feed and turn out about 7.30am
Mon- Friday P.M - I go after work between 17.00-17.15 to muck out, exercise etc

Saturdays - I go down about 9am to turn out, afternoons between 3-5 I am mucking out, bringing in, exercising.
Sundays - I work so mum puts out between 8-9 and my sharer goes down PM.

acw295

Visit site
I was on DIY for years and years and I loved it. On DIY our routine was:

Winter Mon-Fri: Muck out, turnout at 06:45ish, home for 07:45 then ready for work. Back to yard for 18:00 to bring in, ride and put to bed. So home about 20:30-21:00
Winter weekends: Ride, muck out and turnout (later than weekdays), then make up feeds and nets for the week ahead and poo pick. Bring in slightly earlier if needed to suit my plans.

Summer Mon-Fri: Bring in from field on way to work (so about 8am), back to yard for around 6pm to ride and then turnout. Muck out and get stable ready for morning. Poo pick if not riding.
Summer weekends: Rock up to yard whenever to ride - sometimes I'd bring in, other times I'd let her stay out 24/7. Poo pick.

I am now on assisted livery as I live in a different area and have a long commute. My routine (when horse not on box rest) is:

Winter Mon-Fri: Go to yard in evenings only as the yard turnout and muck out for me. They also bring in and feed them all (we leave feeds ready) so when I get there I just have to groom and ride and put back to bed. But I do skip out and refill hay/water if needed.
Winter weekends: It is DIY at weekends so I muck out and ride first thing, then turnout and do my feeds for the week. We don't poo pick. Back to yard to bring in later afternoon/early eve depending on when it gets dark.

Summer Mon-Fri: Yard brings in for me and feeds, so I just go up to ride and turnout after work (18:00-18:30ish) - then I also muck out and get stable ready for the morning.
Summer weekends: Same as when I was on DIY, go up morning or afternoon depending on whether I want her in by day or out 24/7. She is a fatty so more often than not she is in so mucking out is needed, but when her weight is good she gets the odd weekend out (muzzled!)

Denbob

Visit site
I'm on DIY/assisted, I try and do everything myself but sometimes that just isn't possible, so my yard run on the policy of charge per service (i.e. £2 for turnout, £1 for rugging etc.)

I'm up the yard at 7:30/8 and usually have a quick schooling session or hack before I turn out (he's always more agreeable when he knows its time to go out and play with his friends afterwards!) then it's bed, haynets and water which usually takes about an hour.

Then I'm back up at 4:30/5 for bring in, bring the bed down and spend some time doing stretches and generally spending some chill time in the stable with him (he's a baby and i've not had him long so this really helps with bonding and keeping him happy) or if the school is free we go and have a little play, nothing too strenuous!

I think something that's overlooked is turnout with other horses. For me it was so important that he got to be with horses around his age so he gets the chance to socialise and learn how to behave around others, so herd turnout was essential! Speak to other liveries, and any staff other than the YO. Good luck! :)