What is the most comfortable and secure saddle you have owned

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
Well it wasn't particularly the most comfortable, but I bought it for the security it gave, and I would say that it saved my skin, as I never fell off whilst riding in it, even though my TB displayed some apauling acrobatics.

It's the Albion K2 Jump saddle. It has huge knee rolls, and a 'sticky' seat, and is good if you have a horse with a dirty stop, or like mine did at the time which was; within a fraction of a second and without warning he would suddenly go down on his knees, drop a shoulder, spin, and before you knew what was happening he'd be bronking in the opposite direction we were originally going. He also used to randomly do huge corkscrew bronks. I rode him in the k2 GP before I bought their Jump version, and had some terrible falls off him using the GP.

missyme10

Visit site
I love the Thorowgood saddles and dont think I'd buy anything else unless it didn't fit one of my horses.
I find them really secure and comfortable and so easy to take care of.
My daughter also prefers them over anything else.

I currently have the older models prior to the T6 being brought out but have to buy 2 new saddles for my 2 youngsters and am hoping that the T6 will fit. As youngsters change shape so rapidly, I think the T6 is a great option as its adjustable.

canteron

Visit site
Thanks everyone, some brilliant information. The ''good' saddle fitter does Ideal so great to know they get the thumbs up - and I didn't know you could have a suede bit incorporated that sounds pretty yummy!

Interesting info about the Western Saddles, I was always told they were really difficult to fit cobs as were designed for narrower horses so I may look up that link.

And if it is taking a month or so to get a new saddle I think I had best ring up the 'good' saddle fitter asap!!

ozpoz

Visit site
Our cob at work was a nightmare to fit and what seemed ok standing still would slip across his back when moving,which eventually gave him a sore back. We tried three before a Solution, which he's used happily for years now. And if your cob, like our Murph, blows up like a balloon depending on the time of year, then you know it still fits him. ( and ,yes, Murph is on restricted grazing!)

Rhandir

Visit site
Western saddles come to fit most shapes and sizes, Quarter Horses tend to be fairly flat backed with little or no wither, having said that, WES classes have anything and everything from Shetlands to Shires, including some I haven't even heard of. If you decide to go down this route please go to a reputable western saddler/tack shop. Ebay is only for those who know what they're looking at. If you would like some details of shops etc, drop me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction.

bensmum

Visit site
Have a flat back cob that mainly hacks out for a couple of hours at a time, recently bought him a kent & masters cob gp saddle. Am loving it, horse now a happy boy.

TicTac

Visit site
I have to say the most comfortable saddle I ever owned was a Martin Wilkinson's own design buffalo dressage saddle. If I had a spare £1200 I would buy one like a shot. I foolishy part exchanged it when I lost my old horse.

sunshine19

Visit site
Two of my cobs have flat backs, no withers and huge shoulders. The only saddles that fitted them perfectly was the Ideal H&C. Brilliant saddles and very, very comfy.
I do, however, fancy trying out a western saddle on my Section D for hacking:)

teasle

Visit site
Another vote for an aussie stock saddle , I have a wintec one that is lightweight,but if you google Kates saddles they have a wide choice.

dizz4

Visit site
Looking for a new saddle for a happy hacker on a flat backed cob. Just want to feel comfortable and secure when going out on long hacks.

Thinking Ideal, Solution ..... ? There are so many out there its a bit of a minefield.

And do you think that it is worth just going with what the local saddle fitter stocks in that it is more important to have a saddle regularly checked rather than going to the best saddle sitter that you may only be able to get checked once a year.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

I have got a wintec wide for my flat backed welsh cob....

cheers....

Dizz4

Dizzle

Visit site
Jeffries falcon hawk event saddle :)

Fab, fab saddle, 4 or 5 of us on the yard have them now, fitted to a variety of horses. Lovely & comfortable on long hacks, deep seat feels very secure.

Agreed, another vote for the Jeffries Falcon Hawk Event.

Love it, the single most comfortable saddle I have EVER sat in, the only saddle I can ride for hours in without a seat saver, very comfortable and just the right level of knee rolls to help but not get in the way

I find Albion’s very uncomfortable, I just can’t ride in them for more than an hour without my backside hurting, I’ve ridden in lots of them, new/old/gp/dressage and not one of them has been comfortable, one I rode in I lasted 10mins before having to hover above the saddle to save my seat bones!

Hen

Visit site
Probably the most comfortable saddle I've EVER had for long distance hacking was a Leon Liversage South African trail saddle - it was so comfortable and practical; it was a hybrid Western/endurance saddle but with a deeper seat than a Western and no horn so you could jump in it too. It did me many, many fun miles before it got a bit too worn.

But I'd not go out now without my Western saddle, it's like a 2nd sofa to me now!

For hacking out English, my preference would be for a close contact saddle with movable knee supports. I had a great Black Country saddle until recently.

Chumsmum

Visit site
I love my Albion K2 VSD - I could ride for hours in it and it fitted my old cob like a glove but an absolute no-no on my new cob. Really need to sell it as just gathering dust but feel quite attached to it..

Interesting about the Jefferies Falcon Hawk Event, found it seemed to fit most horses but I didn't find it comfy at all.

diamondrockharvey

Visit site
Love my Barefoot Cheyene, comfortable and secure.
A western saddle is going to be your most secure option.
However not always the easiest to get out of in an emergency!

mimbulator

Visit site
i have a fieldhouse vsd for my youngster. She's broad on the back with huge shoulders so have struggled to find something to fit with a decent knee roll. It also has the added advantage of being ajustable for her growth.
My other fav saddle is one my mum has had for aprox 22 years. it is a close contact samber working hunter she had made to measure at derby house. Such a shame they dont make them like that anymore. That is the most cumfortable saddle i have ever sat on and everyone who has ridden in it has agreed.

luckyoldme

Visit site
i love my aussie stock saddle. my boy has a tendancy to buck when he has a bit of time off. the saddle was advertised with a note saying... if you can fall out of this take up golf! To old to risk it to much these days !

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
My 'balance' saddle. Fitted by Lavinia Mitchell. It's supposed to be a dressage saddle but I use it for most things!! (Except jumping).

0ldmare

Visit site
Oh dear, I'm going to go against the trend here and say that the most uncomfortable make I've ever ridden in is Ideal! I bought an Ideal dressage saddle years ago and it was like sitting on shaped glass - hard as hell and the most slippery thing I've ever sat on. My seatbones got so bruised I couldn't sit down. Then more recently I bought a horse that came with an Ideal show saddle. Again hideously uncomfortable and ended up with 2 bruised black knees! Even though it was a 17" and usually I can ride in an 16.5" to 17.5" saddle.

The most comfy saddle I've owned was a Saddle Company one, but wouldn't say it was the most secure as it didn't put you in that good a position and I always felt a bit far from the horse (if that makes sense!)

I've sat on a WOW and a Solution and a Balance and all felt very comfy but I've not ridden in them enough to know what they would be like long term

I've got anabsolutely ancient GP saddle of unknown make and its not particularly comfy but unbelievably secure - you feel like they could throw anything at you!

At the end of the day, its all down to personal choice - why not go to YHL and go sit on a load of makes and talk to the manufacturers?

Kallibear

Visit site
Most secure saddle is one that fits the horse, esp for wide flat cobs. If it doesn't fit well it WILL roll from side to side (and probably slide forwards too) and make you feel horrible insecure. Proper cob saddle would be the best bet as they have wide flat panels, flat tree, a wide gullet and often point and balance straps too, all of which help with stability.

As for comfort, as the replies will tell you, it depends on your shape! The saddle I find really comfy you might find horrible. I have a thorowgood T6 and find one of the comfiest saddles I've ridden in. I didn't mind my wintec wide and found my Saddle company cob saddle SOOO uncomfortable, likewise my friends WOW. My friend HATES my thorowgood with a passion, loved the saddle companies and her WOW and like the wintec. So it depends!

gillianclaude

Visit site
The most comfortable saddles I've ridden in are Ideal, Jeffries, Pessoa, Stubben and... WINTECS. :D
I don't find alot of saddles uncomfortable, but out of the above for long hacks, I would definately choose the Ideal or Pessoa. I have a Stubben and its gets quite painful after an hour or 2. :eek:

skewby

Visit site
Another vote for Ideal, my instructor has an Ideal dressage and it's the most fabulously comfortable thing to sit in.

My best ever saddle is the one I have now - hand made for me and horse by my saddler. It transformed my riding, I have a stupidly long thigh and he cut it forward for me so I can get up to the jumping length I want comfortably.

I love it so much, I got him to make me a dressage saddle with the money I got from selling my old saddles. He only charged just over a £1k for each and both are just fabulous for me and horse, and beautifully made too. People are always drooling over my saddle when I clean it in the tack room!

Eventer96

twitter.com
Well currently we have a total of 6 Ideals, I must say that they are lovely. Very comfortable and a joy to ride in. We had each of ours specially made, as our horse's are quite hard to fit. We have:

Gazelle 1550 (The love of my life! :D)
International Hunt
Roella 1350 Dressage
Ideal Dressage
Event Standard Seat
Event Standard Seat VSD

All very safe and secure. Have saved me a couple of times when I have close calls with our sharp TB. I also love the Albion and Barnsby saddles. Our little pony has an ancient Stubben, although secure I find them fairly uncomfortable (that is probably just the age of the saddle).

My current event horse changes shape by the day (he was still growing when he needed a new saddle). So is currently in a Thorowgood. Although not as nice as leather I still feel secure in it and it does the job. He will be kitted out with two new saddles over the winter. (So I will be joining the saddle hunt!). Can't comment on the cob side of things as I have never owned one. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Last edited:

Kenzo

Visit site
Frank Baines Balance saddle, lovely comfortable saddle, that was used on a cob, also Thorowgood do one specially for cobs, very comfortable and actually not a bad cut for jumping to be honest so a good alround saddle there.

Love Ideal saddles and Black County, again they do a range to suit low wither/flat backs, but the only way you'll find out is to get a saddle fitter to bring a range of makes suited to the shape of your cob, then decide.

You may find you may have to compromise your own comfort a bit to ensure a good fit for your horse.