What is the most comfortable riding hat?

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I'm in the market for a new riding hat. I have a basic Champion skull cap at the moment and it isn't the prettiest. I did try a few others but found that they put pressure on my temples after an hour or so of wear (they were Charles Owen and Samshield). The one I have now is perhaps more padded and a rounder shape.

Anyhoo, does anyone have a favourite, and if so what brand/model? :)

AandK

Visit site
I also have a CO Pro II plus and think it’s v comfy. They do a round fitting as well. CO suit my head shape, have has CO J3 in the past as well. Did have a gatehouse skull before my current CO, not as good for my head shape, so not as comfy.

Flame_

Visit site
I had a champion universal for years that was super comfy but the ugliest thing ever! If you've got a Champion shaped head try Tipperary Sportage, they're just as comfy and ventilated.

turkana

Visit site
I wear a Pro Tector hat which was fitted to me at Badminton, it's the only hat that doesn't give me a headache. I don't get on with Champion at all, I get a thumping headache within minutes of putting it on.
Riding hats have always felt heavy to me which is why I thought I was getting headaches, the Pro Tector man told me that I have a funny shaped head! It's an expensive hat but worth every penny to me to finally be head ache free.
I had a fall on the road with it & took it back to them to be checked for damage, it was still ok to wear which was a relief as I hadn't had it long so was reluctant to bin it.

AandK

Visit site
I wear a Pro Tector hat which was fitted to me at Badminton, it's the only hat that doesn't give me a headache. I don't get on with Champion at all, I get a thumping headache within minutes of putting it on.
Riding hats have always felt heavy to me which is why I thought I was getting headaches, the Pro Tector man told me that I have a funny shaped head! It's an expensive hat but worth every penny to me to finally be head ache free.
I had a fall on the road with it & took it back to them to be checked for damage, it was still ok to wear which was a relief as I hadn't had it long so was reluctant to bin it.

They don't make them anymore, and haven't for several years. Shame as they were nice hats! I had one about 9yrs ago.
I'd recommend getting a new hat tbh, they should really be replaced every 3yrs.

ponymum

Visit site
I work in a tack shop and fit hats as part of my job. My recommendation would be to go and get fitted, they are all different shapes and, even within the brand, fit very differently. It sounds like you have a rounder head so would be more likely to fit Champion or Gatehouse, but may also get a Kep or Uvex. Have fun choosing

Lady Jane

Visit site
DEpends on the shape of your head. I had a Champion and when I changed it got a Gatehouse which I find incredibly comfortable and is well ventilated with a removable washable lining. As others have said, you need to try a few on. I think the Champion Air tech would be as good but I didn't come across them when I was looking at the time (I think it was about 3 years ago) and my local shop didn't stock Uvex

PapaverFollis

Visit site
You either have a Champion head or a Charles Owen head in my experience. I have a Champion head and have learned to embrace the Junior Pro skull cap in all it's "does the job" glory.

FunkyFilly28

Visit site
I have a rounder shaped head and there's only a few styles that seem to fit me. I love my Gatehouse HS1 and Charles Owen Ayrbrush but I have this one in their round fit. See if you can try on some that are specifically for rounder heads.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I work in a tack shop and fit hats as part of my job. My recommendation would be to go and get fitted, they are all different shapes and, even within the brand, fit very differently. It sounds like you have a rounder head so would be more likely to fit Champion or Gatehouse, but may also get a Kep or Uvex. Have fun choosing

Thanks for the great advice. With the Charles Owen and Samshield ones I tried in the past, they felt like they fitted well when I tried them on but started to give me a headache on the sides of my head after an hour or so of wearing them. The Champion one I have now fits well but isn't the prettiest. Not that this is the most important thing of course.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I have a rounder shaped head and there's only a few styles that seem to fit me. I love my Gatehouse HS1 and Charles Owen Ayrbrush but I have this one in their round fit. See if you can try on some that are specifically for rounder heads.

Charles Owen Ayrbrush is the one that I had to send back, but I didn't buy the round fit so I wonder if that would be worth trying.

Peglo

Visit site
I love my Harry hall riding hat that is embarrassingly old ?(I didn’t know the 3 year rule until recently.) but they don’t make them any more. ☹️ New hat is on my to do list but they’re not cheap!! Thanks for starting this thread. Looking like I’m a CO lass.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Charles Owen Ayrbrush is the one that I had to send back, but I didn't buy the round fit so I wonder if that would be worth trying.

It transformed my horsey life when i found CO did a round shape. I've always had CO hats from young but found after an hour or so my temples would be agony. The round version of their hats has solved that and they have hats to suit all budgets, i had an AYR8 but landed on my head and couldn't afford another

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I love my Harry hall riding hat that is embarrassingly old ?(I didn’t know the 3 year rule until recently.) but they don’t make them any more. ☹️ New hat is on my to do list but they’re not cheap!! Thanks for starting this thread. Looking like I’m a CO lass.

Harry Hall seemed to be the only hats around when I started as a young 'un in the late 60s.

We solved the any fitting issues (and at the same time emulated our Showjumping heroes - David Broome & Eddie Macken in my case ??) by cutting off the under chin elastic ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I had a champion skull cap, recently replaced it with a HS1 which was the only one in the shop that didn't press on the side of my head
That’s the complete opposite of me!
Every shop I went too fits me with a HS1 as being the best fit but after 20 minutes I got a banging head. Decided to replace it, again everywhere said it was the best fit!
I bought the second best which was a Champion and it’s great.