What is this....Racking ??? Video inc

Orangehorse

Visit site
Just because it is different it doesn't mean it is wrong.
The posting to the diaganol trot was an 18th century development. Up to then horses used for riding long distances were "amblers." It was very comfortable to ride, and fast.
Apparently the ambler died out in the Europe as armies found that by posting to the diagonal trot meant the horses were sounder, particularly as they were required to carry a lot of kit and heavy weights.

The Europeans of the 16th & 17th century took their ambler horses to the New World, where the comfort and long distance travel meant that they continued to be bred and trained.

The original meaning of "gaited" meant fully trained up to and including Spanish Trot, which when seen on a video looks exactly like a modern horse "racking."

All this came from Dr. Deb Bennett, at one of her Clinics inthe UK and fromher book "The Conquerors" which explains how the horse breeds of america became established.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Thanks Orangehorse. I actually did not think it was cruel, until I got confused when people posted about TWH etc and sorring, then thought they were of the same kind og think, then Enfys put me straight. What you have said is really interesting, as it does look exceedingly comfy and is very fast, so I can see it being used as a long distance travel, I assume rather like the Lope in Quarter horses??!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
It is very different to UK eyes. Dr. Deb had some fascinating old videos. A lot of the old high school dressage was only kept alive in the circuses through the 1920s and 30s. etc. before dressage became a competition and a dressage sport. Yet some of the schooling was wonderful and hadn't been diluted just because it was going to be a in a show.

As well as the military use of the posting trot, dressage and high school was also developing in the 16th and 17th centuries in Europe, so that was another reason for the ambler to become less fashionable.

That is why the USA has all remnants of the old European breeds like the Paso Fino, TW, etc. which they bred and adapted to their own needs and uses.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Note to self, must Pick Orangehorses brain more often...... Wow, thats excellent, I love some of those old breeds esp Paso's and wandered why they are rare in this country. Although we appear to speak the same language, we really are quite different with our horses. *sigh* one day I shall go to America properly and see that side off it.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I've ridden "natural" Walking horses (they have their own classes, as distinct from the "big lick" ones), Rocky Mountain Horses, and Icelandic ponies and they're good fun! Very comfortable and surprisingly fast and sure footed.

The most bizarre thing I found was the way the Icelandics, especially, turn by sort of swinging around rather than bending like I'm used. I rode one on a racetrack which was a blast. There used to be a place in Virginia, I think, that did multiday rides with them.

I did ride a Saddlebred show horse a couple of times - not really for me. But without the show prep they're lovely horses and some of them jump quite well, too.

charleysummer

Visit site
i researched about the walking horse cruelty for a school project years ago, watched a video posted here and now i feel physically sick :( i just can't see how people can do it! those poor poor horses, people are so selfish that because they can't feel the pain they think it doesnt matter,