What is this?

Thursday

Visit site
Mare has this devolping on her back:

DSC00164.jpg

It is very similar to rain scald/rot but she hasnt been out in the rain or out in over 4 weeks? Is it a heat rash? It has now gone quite scabby since the pic was taken and has spread over the left side of her mainly.

Marquire

Visit site
Mare has this devolping on her back:

It is very similar to rain scald/rot but she hasnt been out in the rain or out in over 4 weeks? Is it a heat rash? It has now gone quite scabby since the pic was taken and has spread over the left side of her mainly.

My boy had something simlar a few years ago- vet did all sort of tests as he thought it could a be an autoimmune thing but all biopsies came back normal. Aftrer speaking to a few folk it turns out a few of them had also seen something similar on their horses after clipping and seemed to be related to dirt or little bits of hair getting into the pores and causing a mild reaction which went scabby. It seemed to be worse in horses who were over rugged and got hot thereby opening the pores and letting dirt and hair in.

In my boys case I cured it by bathing him in Hibiscrub twice a week, made sure his rugs were very clean (I used cotton liners which I washed every two days in no biological soap powder) and made sure he wasn't over rugged and disinfected my grooming kit every week. The scabs fell off quickly and he was back to normal in no time.

Marquire

Ginger Bear

Visit site
I had a thread on here a few days ago if you search 'bumps' I'm sure it'll come up.. we came to the conclusion that it was a heat related rash..

Thursday

Visit site
Thanks Marquire, that sounds similar to my horse. I will get her rug cleaned and Get some Hibiscrub too. :)

I had a thread on here a few days ago if you search 'bumps' I'm sure it'll come up.. we came to the conclusion that it was a heat related rash..

I found that - thank you!

Sam22

Visit site
Looks like very common lumps that occur in the saddle area and go under several names - I call them collagenolytic granulomas but AKA collegen lumps, eosinophilic granulomas. Cause not clear but as they occur where the saddle sits they are thought to be caused by sweat and grease from the numnah being rubed into the skin. Possibly an immune mediated origin as well. I would reccomend shampooing with malaseb just to make sure any secondary nasties trying to infect are killed off, make sure you always use a clean number and consider disinfecting your grooming kit too. They can persist for a very long time but often self resolve. If they are persistent they can be injected with steroid to help them on their way.

soulfull

Visit site
ringworm?? fungal infection id treat as ringworm, (wash in virkon S) or you could try Malaseb shampoo great for odd skin 'bumps'!!

It is possible, when I first got my lad he came out looking just like this, it wasn't until a week or two later it became more obvious what it was