What is your ideal breed?

Emily T

Visit site
Any breed you swear by or tend to sway towards? Personally I tend to love ID X TB and more hardy breeds such as the cob

Snowfilly

Visit site
I like a certain amount of fire and flash - have had lovely times with an Arab and my horse of a lifetime was a welsh / Arab cross. Currently got a clydesdale but they're special in a different way.

Next on the list is an ahkel teke. I love their looks and am very taken with the idea that they bond closely to one person. Plus most of them can jump.

Kikke

Visit site
Is there such a thing?? I don't think so.
Having said that I love a welshie. But then my current mare is 50/50 welsh/clydesdale and she is "perfect" for me. I would have never chosen a clydesdale cross and didn't realise till I saw her. Had I know I would not have made the 3 hour each way to go to see her. Didn't want to be rude so stayed to see her being ridden. And then I was in love and haven't looked back since.
My husband has a Belgian Draft and he loves him to bits. Not the perfect breed really as he want to event and they do. Low level mind but they have great fun together. Only reason he wanted a belgian for his first horse was because his g-dad used to work the land with them in Holland.
You could say in general we like something hairy!

Visit site
Shetlands!

Actually in reality my Fell pony was my perfect pony. I don't get on well with Welsh, I am too big to ride shetlands and whilst I ride tb's as a day job I wouldn't take another one home with me.

ihatework

Visit site
I don’t have one.
But I have a very specific type - a bit of substance but with quality/athletic. Built uphill with a neck that comes up infront. Approx MW in a saddle. Forward thinking but not excessively sharp. Intelligent.

I’ve had a variety that fit that description but the ones I have really liked - a 7/8th TB, a Trak/ISH mongrel, a SF/ISH mongrel and now a WelshxTB

WelshD

Visit site
The British Riding Pony

A very underrated thing these days despite the efforts of breeders to promote them

dominobrown

Visit site
Thoroughbreds, connemaras, warmbloods with a lot of tb blood in them, ISH with a lot of tb in them, worked a lot with arabs but prefer a part bred. Part breds are nearly always nice.

SEL

Visit site
I never expected to own an Ardennes but I couldn't imagine not having him in my life. Makes me smile every morning.

Like welshies too and always thought I'd have another. Not convinced I'd have another Appy tho!

Leo Walker

Visit site
The next one will be something slightly smaller and flashier, probably not welsh, but some sort connie cross I think in a fancy colour. I've had cobs for a few years now because I like the toughness but I dont think anything will ever hold a candle to my current boy.

Trules

Visit site
Thoroughbreds, connemaras, warmbloods with a lot of tb blood in them, ISH with a lot of tb in them, worked a lot with arabs but prefer a part bred. Part breds are nearly always nice.
Domino Brown. Are you specifically referring to part bred arabs? There is a 3 yr old black filly that i have my eye on at the minute. What are the plus points? Not come across any before but she seems to have a bold outlook.

dominobrown

Visit site
Domino Brown. Are you specifically referring to part bred arabs? There is a 3 yr old black filly that i have my eye on at the minute. What are the plus points? Not come across any before but she seems to have a bold outlook.

Yes arab part breds.
What is she crossed with?
A lot of top horses, including the likes of Tamerillo and Upsilion are part breds, and a lot dressage horses etc. Most show hacks are part breds.
A part bred contains 12.5% of arab blood or more. My homebred is 6.25% to Blue Domino... one hell of stallion but died a long time ago now!
I think generally you get a kot of the positive arab traits, but hare to say it arab purists, miss a lot of the problems caused by obessive line breeding. A lot of the overall champions at Arab shows tend to be part breds too.

As someone above mentioned the British riding pony... technically part bred arab, a lot of welsh and connies have arab blood... Naseel? I think.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
A highland, but a slightly sportier than the classic correct highland and probably a little over height would be my dream.

Erm, that’s why I have a 16.3 TB then 😂

Trules

Visit site
Dominobrown. Not sure of the arab side of the breeding. Out of an anglo.arab mare by a primitive rising stallion. But looks quite arab in.that she is very short coupled and has a deep rib cage. Standing approx 15hh at minute but not quite turned 3 yet. Do they tend to mature sooner or later?.

Merlod

Visit site
Sec D and arabs, very similar temperament wise (sharp, quirky but very intelligent) but both seem to be a bit like marmite!

alainax

Visit site
Friesian :) I love a good chunky breed with loads of mane but not huge amounts of feather. Something flashy and with the wow factor, but can still go for a nice hack.

If I was lighter, I’d probably also like something gaited maybe a Tennessee Walker.

WelshD

Visit site
Exmoor!!!!

I have to say I've followed showing closely for years but never took much of an interest in the exmoors till the last few years, my show pony was broken in by someone who shows them and they had great characters. A friend is doing WHP with one this year and he tries his absolute heart out and loves jumping, i am becoming rather a fan!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I have to say I've followed showing closely for years but never took much of an interest in the exmoors till the last few years, my show pony was broken in by someone who shows them and they had great characters. A friend is doing WHP with one this year and he tries his absolute heart out and loves jumping, i am becoming rather a fan!

I love them. I love how clever they are, how strong, & how sodding beautiful they are, be they in full summer sleek or full winter yak.

They jump, they do dressage, they do games, they do endurance & they are just brill!

dominobrown

Visit site
Dominobrown. Not sure of the arab side of the breeding. Out of an anglo.arab mare by a primitive rising stallion. But looks quite arab in.that she is very short coupled and has a deep rib cage. Standing approx 15hh at minute but not quite turned 3 yet. Do they tend to mature sooner or later?.
Mostly TB....
Arabs mature later however I have known any huge primitive riding horses... so probably under 16hh.
I like Primitive rising... had one (ex pointer so full tb) and was a lovely mover. Most I have seen have great Confo but quite sharp!

Clip1clop1

Visit site
I have loved my Arab and my Connie in the past but they are now in horse heaven. But being a dyed in the wool BHS horse person recognising all things our side of the pond I have to say Andalucians are the cream of the crop for me. They take extra special care in our climate but the breed is fabulous ��