What jobs do we all do?? How does it fit in with horses?

chestnutx

Visit site
Hi I am intrigued to know what jobs you all do and how easy do they fit into your horse lives?

I am trying to decide on a new career and am looking into all the options but it has to mean I can easily still have my horse.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I work with horses.
I have my own 6 box yard and train point to pointers, break horses in and buy/sell a few. People think I have it easy because I train alongside my dad (he has 20 box yard and owns property), Id like to see how easy they find it putting up with his whinging and paying £1000 a month on a business loan!

Sarah1

Visit site
I'm an Accountant and it doesn't really fit in like I'd like it to!!!!!

The hours can be quite long if I'm working on a project or the Accounts but it does pay well so it means my horse doesn't want for much!

I do see him every day but I'd like to be able to spend all day every day with him so unless I win the lottery I don't think I'll be happy!!!!!!!

equibabe20

Visit site
im a groom at a retirement home i work 6 days a week but get 2 days off i only work till 4.30 3 days then work till 1 the other 3 so it fits in fantastic with my horse as im at the yard by 5 at the latest on my full days andanythime from 1.30 ish the rest of the time

valentine

Visit site
Hi
I am a manager in a residential unit and work shift work this works great for me and my horses as my husband works 8-4pm and does them when i work till late feels like im at the yard more than at work (i proberbly am !!!!) ooops have to work weekends but only down full but everyother. shift work works great

Salcey

Visit site
We run an online saddlery, so it can fit round us to a degree, but I also teach 4 hours an evening which is great in the winter and a real bummer in the summer

Marilyn

Visit site
As i said on the other forum, I do PR and writing for equestrian businesses in addition to website text, articles and newsletters. I work from home so do horses as and when required which is great if farrier is due or it's getting dark in evenings

Halfpass

Visit site
I am a midwife and work 3 long shifts (13 hours) per week so on the other days my horses get my undivided attention and on the days i'm working they are put out at 6 and bought in at 9.

ginnyspinner

Visit site
Staff nurse, doing permanent nights (2 or 3 per week). Lots of days off in between so fits in well. Come straight from work to turn out in mornings (7.30 ish) sleep 4 hours then go back, fetch in and ride.

Ash the arab

Visit site
I'm a postlady, so i get to play 'horsey' all afternoon! A friend puts ash out in the morn. Delivering the post wasn't exactly a 'career choice' though, i did work with horses for a few years first but just found mine became 'another horse' that needed to be done.

sea_view

Visit site
I'm a Bank Manager and I fit my horses in before work - mucking out and after work - riding and bringing in etc. I have a fabulous friend who helps me with my older boy, it would be pretty tough without her!

Frazer

Visit site
Im still at school, and my horse is on part livery! So I have to come home, do any coursework, get changed off to the yard, ride, get home, dinner etc.. which isn't normally a problem, although can be a bit of a rush!! At weekends always down there all day, everyday day!! Envy the people who get up early to go do their horses and then in the evening.

leanneNcopper

Visit site
Have 2 part time jobs, they run over 4 days a week, the other 3 are spent down the yard, but one job is 9-1 so i can be down the yard to ride after work and everything which works out well, although cant ride when i do my 6oclock at night start as this doesnt give me time from my other job

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I work as a Health and Safety Inspector and Animal Licensing Officer for the Local Council. It allows flexi time I can start at 7 and finish at 3 so allows me time after work to do horses. Also quite flexible on holiday.

ernikins

Visit site
Marilyn - so do I - and it is fantastic as means I can escape for a lesson here and there and just make up the time when I want!

jennystreek

Visit site
I work as a medical rep and so control my own diary.......i think its an ideal job to have with horses, as it pays really well and i very rarely get home later than 3pm in the afternoon - just do admin in the evening when im finished with the horses. I have two horses on DIY livery, and takes me 1.5 hours before work (usually get to yard for 6.30am) to do my mucking out - they are both very messy!!!
tongue.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
im a full time civil servant. Work Flexi time, so can work split shifts if i want so i can ride my horses at dinner time, or go in late or leave early to ride. I have a really accomodating manager. She will let me have time off at the drop of the hat for the horses if its urgent. The pay isnt so good but ive got a really great mum who helps me out.

Bex7

Visit site
I work as an IT buyer and it doesn't fit with the ned so am up at the crack of dawn to ride before work and get to the office for about 730. I get back down the yard straight from the office about 6 and home by 730pm nackered and ready to do it all again the next day

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I manage a gift website www.boxtreegallery.co.uk - although maybe I am not allowed to say that? It fits in really well with my horse as I can go up to the livery yard pretty well whenever I want.

He is at full livery because I am very inexperienced and I like the feeling that someone knowledgeable is taking care of him and that I can ask them as many questions as I need.

I normally only manage to go up once a day because, although my working hours are flexible, 12 hour days are not unusual, sometimes a lot more. I also don't get any days off, not even weekends, unfortunately.

star

Visit site
im a vet - in small animal practice. i get a morning and afternoon off each week to play with horses. rest of time i work 8 till 8 so he's on part livery as i cant get down to him those days. am also on call one night a week and then one friday night in 4 and one whole weekend in 4 when i'm not allowed to be more than 10mins from work, so no horsey playing at all.