What jobs do you do??

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
The other thing I could do is ask my current work place if I could do sort of flexi time. Even if I started at 9am, currently 7am, it would give me time in winter to ride and perhaps get him out in the field for an hour if he will settle.

Griffin

Visit site
Dog walking is good but I have several friends in the business and they say that everyone seems to want their dogs walked at the same sort of time (middle of the day). This can make life tricky!

I work in education and do similar hours to you (obviously with work in the evenings) and it can be a struggle to ride in the winter. Shift work can sometimes be better, a friend of mine used to work 1pm-8pm on weekdays and this meant she could do all her stable jobs and riding in the morning and get someone to bring her horse in later.

I would speak to your current employer, you never know you luck!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Dog walking is good but I have several friends in the business and they say that everyone seems to want their dogs walked at the same sort of time (middle of the day). This can make life tricky!

I work in education and do similar hours to you (obviously with work in the evenings) and it can be a struggle to ride in the winter. Shift work can sometimes be better, a friend of mine used to work 1pm-8pm on weekdays and this meant she could do all her stable jobs and riding in the morning and get someone to bring her horse in later.

I would speak to your current employer, you never know you luck!

I couldn't do 1 till 8 but I could realistically ask for 9 til 5 or 6 til 2 which would give me a few hours in afternoon before dark. Just wish my boy would go out in the field in winter but he just won't. My oldie would stay out all day.

Birker2020

Visit site
The other thing I could do is ask my current work place if I could do sort of flexi time. Even if I started at 9am, currently 7am, it would give me time in winter to ride and perhaps get him out in the field for an hour if he will settle.
I've been up to the yard this morning to get my horse in, pick out feet, change rugs, give first breakfast and to put boots on and was at work by 7.20am.

spacefaer

Visit site
I used to work for a small firm of chartered surveyors as a pa/office manager. It started as 9-5 but we found we were rushing to get everything done by the end of the day. I spoke to my boss and moved my hours to 10-6. I had 2 horses and could get them both done before I came into work. It's amazing how much the one hour shift made such a difference

Amun

Visit site
Personally, I would start here. It depends on the situation in your company (I know some employers are totally inflexible just because) but if you are well known in the company and there is no real reason for you to sit there from 7am, why not? The worst thing they can do is to refuse, and therefore nothing will change. And then you can start looking for other options.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I've been up to the yard this morning to get my horse in, pick out feet, change rugs, give first breakfast and to put boots on and was at work by 7.20am.

This time of year isn't an issue. Usually up yard 5.30 to ride etc. Its the winter when he won't go out. I struggle to get any decent work into him either end of the day. The school has lights but we both get bored in there twice a day every day.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Personally, I would start here. It depends on the situation in your company (I know some employers are totally inflexible just because) but if you are well known in the company and there is no real reason for you to sit there from 7am, why not? The worst thing they can do is to refuse, and therefore nothing will change. And then you can start looking for other options.
Last winter I started at 8 and worked through til 4. Only 15 min break x 2. Then I asked if I could take a days holiday as hours rather than days so split my 4 hours for a half day hols over the week so started at 9. That was a godsend. I think I will ask if my main hours could be 9 til 5, then ask to split my holiday again so theoretically starting at 10. That would give me plenty of time to give him a good exercise in the morning and just a hand walk in the evening. I think your right, I will ask . Finding looking for something else extremely stressful in this current climate.

sherry90

Visit site
You are legally entitled to apply for flexible working (once in 12months) and they need sound business justification for refusing this. Most employers are a lot more flexible nowadays as the culture of work has changed somewhat - appreciate some companies might not have caught up yet!

I work in HR (can you tell ;) ) and worked from home pre-pandemic anyway but with some regional travel. I tend to work 8-4/9-5 when home, when travelling it really depends where I am as to work hours that day, usually a lot more. I’ve recently gone to compressed hours so standard day will be 8-5:30 (again when back to travelling I might finish slightly later/leave earlier) and I will then have one day a week off not working plus weekends.

I am hopeful this gives me more work life balance, in reality I’m very lucky and facilities at the yard help. But a day off in the week during winter will mean I can get out hacking rather than schooling most days during the week and the weather being typically awful at weekends I find it hard to break his work up. That plus I can get the housework/food shop done on my day off and really embrace the weekends! That’s the plan anyway.

Write a business case for your proposed hours, put in some suggestions as to how you’d mitigate any impact on the business or your teams/stakeholders, do you need cover for the hours you propose to no longer work? What if you are on holiday? Will you be flexible if the business for a reason might need you on the odd occasion to start earlier/finish later? Think ahead as to what the barriers to them saying yes might be and come up with solutions as part of your business case before you submit it to your manager to consider.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
You are legally entitled to apply for flexible working (once in 12months) and they need sound business justification for refusing this. Most employers are a lot more flexible nowadays as the culture of work has changed somewhat - appreciate some companies might not have caught up yet!

I work in HR (can you tell ;) ) and worked from home pre-pandemic anyway but with some regional travel. I tend to work 8-4/9-5 when home, when travelling it really depends where I am as to work hours that day, usually a lot more. I’ve recently gone to compressed hours so standard day will be 8-5:30 (again when back to travelling I might finish slightly later/leave earlier) and I will then have one day a week off not working plus weekends.

I am hopeful this gives me more work life balance, in reality I’m very lucky and facilities at the yard help. But a day off in the week during winter will mean I can get out hacking rather than schooling most days during the week and the weather being typically awful at weekends I find it hard to break his work up. That plus I can get the housework/food shop done on my day off and really embrace the weekends! That’s the plan anyway.

Write a business case for your proposed hours, put in some suggestions as to how you’d mitigate any impact on the business or your teams/stakeholders, do you need cover for the hours you propose to no longer work? What if you are on holiday? Will you be flexible if the business for a reason might need you on the odd occasion to start earlier/finish later? Think ahead as to what the barriers to them saying yes might be and come up with solutions as part of your business case before you submit it to your manager to consider.
Had started to put my case together in my head today. Didn't realise about the legally entitled bit!! Our work varies upon seasons and lucky in my role my busiest is spring which I can do normal hours for as part of a team, as the nag is happy out during day. Will get something set out. Thank you so much for the advice.

exracehorse

Visit site
I work self employed as a cleaner. I put business cards through people’s door years ago and soon built up a business. I can fit my five horses in around my clients as I’m finished by the afternoon.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I was a civil servant for many years and can attest to the benefits of flexi time. However, I had to get out in the end because the organisation was driving me mad. I began working for myself and did much longer hours but, again, I could work flexibly to suit myself, up to a point.
I'm so glad you've said this. I'm in the civil service on a reasonable wage and good perks. But the stress is destroying me. I honestly wouldn't recomnend it.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I work self employed as a cleaner. I put business cards through people’s door years ago and soon built up a business. I can fit my five horses in around my clients as I’m finished by the afternoon.
I think this is the way I will go if needs be. I might be back for some advice off you!

paddy555

Visit site
I'm so glad you've said this. I'm in the civil service on a reasonable wage and good perks. But the stress is destroying me. I honestly wouldn't recomnend it.

I know where you are coming from. I did 35 years. It had it's good points such as flexi. Left work at 3pm and by 3.45 I was trotting down the road.

After our office closure I was outside of RDT for the new location so they had to do something with me. redundancy or AER.
Suddenly I started to like the civil service a whole lot more. :D:D

sjdress

Visit site
Hello! Long time no see, I hope you’re well.

OP, I work for an NHS Foundation Trust. I take my job very seriously and work long hours but I work whenever I like, and take breaks whenever I like. It’s very flexible.

i work for the NHS and it is not flexible! but you can apply for flexible working but need to Have a good reason and show little or no impact to the service.

Melandmary

Visit site
I guess it depends whether you enjoy the job you do/ have an actual career or just want to work to pay for your lifestyle and horses. In the past I have run my own businesses. Dog walker for 8 years and that is just about 9-5 and then the motor trade. The o ly time I have actually had proper time for my horse has been when I've done shift work. An extra hour in the morning is not that helpful and means a big rush and possibly going to work sweaty ?. I am a support worker for adults with learning disabilities, the company I work for doesn't pay that well and I am looking for private jobs which pay up to £14 an hour but I love the job and there is a mixture of day, evening and night shifts so I literally have hours and hours of daylight all year round.

J&S

Visit site
During most of my horse owning life I was self employed, decorator/antique dealer but since "retirement" and recieving my pension I have been working as a market researcher for a local company to supplement my pension and pay for the ponies. It is ideal, extremely flexible with choices of hours/days (zero hours contract). My choice is 3.30pm - 8 pm so have mornings to ride do horse work etc and as I now WFH can use my break to put ponies to bed. I feel very lucky that, at my age, I can still find employment.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I guess it depends whether you enjoy the job you do/ have an actual career or just want to work to pay for your lifestyle and horses. In the past I have run my own businesses. Dog walker for 8 years and that is just about 9-5 and then the motor trade. The o ly time I have actually had proper time for my horse has been when I've done shift work. An extra hour in the morning is not that helpful and means a big rush and possibly going to work sweaty ?. I am a support worker for adults with learning disabilities, the company I work for doesn't pay that well and I am looking for private jobs which pay up to £14 an hour but I love the job and there is a mixture of day, evening and night shifts so I literally have hours and hours of daylight all year round.
I do sort of enjoy my job most of the time. Reasonable pay, no stress. It is physical but I work hard so it does give me stiff joints but I could slow down!! Its just money to pay bills and for horses!! If I started at 10 it would give me at least 3 hours more in the morning so I think that would work fine. I have sent an email to the boss this morning to see if its doable.

Sealine

Visit site
I'm work in the tech industry as a business analyst. All staff have been working from home for the last year due to Covid. A few months ago my employer introduced flexible working which means each individual works the hours that suit them and their team. I vary my hours from day to day depending upon whether I want to ride before or after work. As long as I attend online meetings as required and get stuff done no-one monitors the hours I work. The business is not expecting anyone to go back to the office full time unless they want to. Each team will decide how much office time they need and agree which days to spend in the office. In the future I envisage office time will be for collaborative work only.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Had a reply to my email. They havnt answered most of my questions or offered what I would like which isn't a lot of difference to what I'm doing now!! I have replied asking for clarification my original questions. It really is that hard to say yes or no!!
People are crying out for cleaners in my area at the moment. I messaged a lady yesterday, she is currently only offering part time but says she cannot keep up with the demand and full time hours are a possibility. The work would be easier and cleaner than what I'm doing now!!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Desperate needs for carers too, most I know are working insane hours - spoke with one this week who is doing 6am - 10pm, multiple clients, seven days a week.

Yes seen lots of ads for carers. Unfortunately the shifts involve weekends and I dont want to go back to working weekends as I like to compete.

Melandmary

Visit site
Fern 007 that is sad but at least you tried and if you don't ask you don't get. I know some private cleaners who charge £15 an hour. And it is steady work, warm and dry. Hope you manage to get the time you need. Time is more precious than money

vmac66

Visit site
I work as a self employed cleaner. I'm working for a, small agency at the moment so have potential to go on my own and earn more money. I work mainly between 9am and 3.30 pm, with a couple of 4 pm finishes. I like it that if I can start earlier I finish earlier. Helpful in the winter. I'm always at yard by 4.15 at the latest.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Fern 007 that is sad but at least you tried and if you don't ask you don't get. I know some private cleaners who charge £15 an hour. And it is steady work, warm and dry. Hope you manage to get the time you need. Time is more precious than money
I've worked there 17 years!! Its not as if they don't know me. Small company. Its a strange company tho as the less you do the less you get given. I've still no really learnt that!! We still do time sheets and there is a chap well known for putting 7am as a start time. He doesn't get there til 7.15 at least!! I've asked for a change, all above board but it seems to be an issue. We will see next week!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I work as a self employed cleaner. I'm working for a, small agency at the moment so have potential to go on my own and earn more money. I work mainly between 9am and 3.30 pm, with a couple of 4 pm finishes. I like it that if I can start earlier I finish earlier. Helpful in the winter. I'm always at yard by 4.15 at the latest.
Daft question!! Obviously you have to travel between work places, is that paid?

Visit site
This has been some food for thought. I am currently looking for a job but struggling to find anything that fits. It has to work round the horses for me. They are at home which at least makes it a bit easier. Fine at the moment as they live out, but in the winter I at least need some time in the morning to feed, turnout and muck out and then possibly a slightly longer lunch hour so I can fetch them back in (they only usually want to be out until 1ish in the depths of winter) then once they are back in I can finish at any time as I can do the evening routine when I am home. Not bothered about riding too much on the days I work as my boy is semi retired and I can so the riding on my days off. I also have another to ride but again I can do on my days off. I've always worked with horses but financially and now physically I would struggle to go back to doing it too much. I still do have one client who pays very well who I go to twice per week. I have thought about dog walking but not sure my feet will stand up to it after an accident I had.
My absolute ideal job would be work from home doing either a proof reading job or a data agency job. Any ideas how you get into these roles?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
This has been some food for thought. I am currently looking for a job but struggling to find anything that fits. It has to work round the horses for me. They are at home which at least makes it a bit easier. Fine at the moment as they live out, but in the winter I at least need some time in the morning to feed, turnout and muck out and then possibly a slightly longer lunch hour so I can fetch them back in (they only usually want to be out until 1ish in the depths of winter) then once they are back in I can finish at any time as I can do the evening routine when I am home. Not bothered about riding too much on the days I work as my boy is semi retired and I can so the riding on my days off. I also have another to ride but again I can do on my days off. I've always worked with horses but financially and now physically I would struggle to go back to doing it too much. I still do have one client who pays very well who I go to twice per week. I have thought about dog walking but not sure my feet will stand up to it after an accident I had.
My absolute ideal job would be work from home doing either a proof reading job or a data agency job. Any ideas how you get into these roles?

They are the sort of roles I'm looking for. I think you need a qualification for proof reading? Just been looking at caregiver jobs. Basically you ho into someone's home and do what they need. Shopping, bit of house work etc. Unfortunately the one I've applied for is only part time, didn't see that bit until further into the application. Still it might be worth a chat with them.