What model is this trailer please?

Alibear

Visit site
I missed the bit about how big your horses are, I did fit my sold as 16.3 but definitely bigger chap on mine solo with a custom breast bar that gave a bit more length. They did the same trailer in a bigger version too so yours could be that? I only had a 15.2 when I brought mine so it wasn't an issue.

Birker2020

Visit site
I missed the bit about how big your horses are, I did fit my sold as 16.3 but definitely bigger chap on mine solo with a custom breast bar that gave a bit more length. They did the same trailer in a bigger version too so yours could be that? I only had a 15.2 when I brought mine so it wasn't an issue.
My horse who I've just lost was 17.1hh and fitted in there perfectly, when her neck was at hay net eating level she was fine and she could raise it fully to normal standing position without being cramped. The photos of her in the trailer were when it was stationary and I'd moved the internal partition across so she could step over to the door and stick her head out which she adored doing. Hence why when she was on 'alert' the trailer looks too small for her.

My Dad had altered the breast bar and moved the partition 3/4 x 1/4 years ago which made it even roomier.
1627474832466.png when you look at this picture you can see she had more than enough head height.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
She'd be stood a foot higher inside the trailer though. They were designed for 16.2hh max. You obviously got away with it but I know lots of horses who wouldnt even get in, never mind travel in a trailer that size, so I wouldnt bank on any new horse fitting in if they are over 16.2hh.
I sold my Europa in 2006 when my then new 15.2hh mare turned out to be claustrophobic in it. I bought the Ifor 510 Classic which we still have - that copes with a bigger horse fine.

ETA When travelling behind the Europa with the 15.2hh in, she looked huge in it, with lots of her backside sticking up above the rather short rear ramp.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
That trailer is terrifyingly small for the size of horse you prefer
You can't tell from that photo. You have no way of knowing that that trailer is for 16.2hh so you shouldn't assume. As I have said before it isn't the Europa as it hasn't the window on the side, I assume its a Rice Richardson of some sort but I can't see the Rice identification on it, that said I've not really bothered too look.

The horse fitted in the trailer fine as did all the others and I never had any problems with them travelling and the horse is the photo travelled fine for the first seven years before I encountered loading issues. I also know the outfit wasn't overweight as we were very careful with the weighbridge weights and everything else, the trailer was definitely 650kg so it obviously isn't a Europa. As far as I know from distant memory the trailer height is 7ft 4" internally which is more than adequate for a 17.1hh horse.

I'm not going to reply to this thread anymore as I can see where it's leading and it won't be pleasant for me as per usual.
Thanks to the sensible people who answered my questions instead of using the opportunity for another stab at me.

I'm Dun

Visit site
The trailer cannot be 650kgs as there wasnt a front unload horse trailer made that weighs that. As I said, my Rice Eventer fibreglass rear unload pony trailer weighs 642kgs and its tiny. The old farmers hunt rear unload, again tiny trailer, weighs 650kgs. Similar construction to yours, but about a third smaller.

There are no Rice OR Richardson front unload trailers that take horses that weigh less than 800kgs. There were some made to take bigger horses, but they were over 1000kgs. Therefore, allowing for a margin of error made with the weight, this is only suitable for up to 16.2hh. There is no other option.

You wont be the first or last person to get a horse in a trailer slightly too small for it, but you cant rely on the next horse being as accepting. I know my 16.1hh would flip if he had limited head room.

I'm not sure that it wouldnt affect your insurance either actually. Weight wise you shouldnt be overloaded, but height wise you are. Not sure that would ever come up though, but it is worth looking into and considering. You also need to get to a weighbridge ASAP and confirm the weight of the trailer, as if you are found to be overloaded weight wise your insurance is definitely invalidated and its taken fairly seriously.

And this is not me "having a stab at you" Someone saying something you dont like isnt people having a go at you. There is no other way to answer your question unless people lie. I've kept this completely factual in the hope you read it and take it on board.

Frumpoon

Visit site
You can't tell from that photo. You have no way of knowing that that trailer is for 16.2hh so you shouldn't assume. As I have said before it isn't the Europa as it hasn't the window on the side, I assume its a Rice Richardson of some sort but I can't see the Rice identification on it, that said I've not really bothered too look.

The horse fitted in the trailer fine as did all the others and I never had any problems with them travelling and the horse is the photo travelled fine for the first seven years before I encountered loading issues. I also know the outfit wasn't overweight as we were very careful with the weighbridge weights and everything else, the trailer was definitely 650kg so it obviously isn't a Europa. As far as I know from distant memory the trailer height is 7ft 4" internally which is more than adequate for a 17.1hh horse.

I'm not going to reply to this thread anymore as I can see where it's leading and it won't be pleasant for me as per usual.
Thanks to the sensible people who answered my questions instead of using the opportunity for another stab at me.

I really didn't intend to upset you and I'm sorry

Birker2020

Visit site
And this is not me "having a stab at you" Someone saying something you dont like isnt people having a go at you. There is no other way to answer your question unless people lie. I've kept this completely factual in the hope you read it and take it on board.
Thanks for your help but I have no intention of getting another trailer because I would also need to get another towing vehicle and its just not going to happen.
I have taken on board what you say but the trailer headroom isn't and never has been an issue.