What piece of horsey advice really helped you?

Patterdale

Visit site
Always aim to get off a better horse than you got on.

You don’t build confidence by scaring people/a horse.
^that one particularly. Jumping massive fences you’re not ready for, or asking the horse questions he’s not ready for/putting him in situations that make him panic, only cause more fear. Even if you do ‘win’ in the moment.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
on a general note, you're always either training or untraining your horse.

one personal point, which really helped my confidence going up the levels on a non-typical competition horse, was that the people who paid 5 figures plus for their horse ought to be beating me by more than a few percent considering the natural advantage... therefore i should not feel inadequate, because we were holding our own, all things considered!

oldie48

Visit site
"Every time you interact with your horse you are training it" which I am sure came from the same person that MP mentioned. It has really changed the way I handle and ride. I did go to my rc clinic yesterday and although the lesson was better than last week, it wasn't great tbh. We were doing some trot /halt transitions and I insisted the halts were square, instructor told me not to both as we weren't working on square halts, I quietly ignored her!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I was backing my youngster and was determined to produce a perfect horse. She was a flashy, big moving mare bred from very successful lines. I was in awe of her.
My lovely trainer said, Stop it. She's just a horse. First year of training is about fun. Make her love her job.

sportsmansB

Visit site
- Every minute you spend with your horse you are contributing to their training, either positively or negatively
- Never be casual to the first 4 fences you jump in any situation
- Get off the side of the school

Green Bean

Visit site
It takes a year to get to know a horse

Every horse is unique with unique sets of rules - listen, listen listen

A horse doesn't care that you aren't the rider to allow him to reach his full potential

Look up!!!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Set your horse (and you) up for success.

Give yourself permission to get off - it doesn't mean the horse has 'won' ;)

Most recently, it was listen to your horse and not necessarily the so-called 'experts' (although there are many, many good experts, I should hasten to add). If I had a penny for everytime someone told me there was 'nothing wrong' with my horse two summers ago, when there was - it just took a lot of digging to find it. I have, not a different horse now, but the horse I always felt he could be.