What riding boots for husband returning to riding?

Higgle

Seeing the pleasure I've had from starting to ride again this year after a long gap my husband has decided to follow suit, and has booked to go with me on a 4 day break in Cumbria in the early summer. he will begin to have some lessons after Christmas. We sold our horses 20 years ago and as his was a bit of a nutter who he controlled admirably I'm sure he will soon be enjoying it again. He has been muttering about some long leather boots for Christmas but I have explained to him most people seem to wear short boots and half chaps these days, which are more versatile. I would like to get him something nice, but not ruinously expensive any suggestions? It will be mainly for hacking and possibly informal cross country.

PapaverFollis

My OH wear Ariet short boots and leather half chaps. He preferred that for getting a good fit on the calf. Not a cheap option but not prohibitive cost wise and good quality. It's a while since he got them so I can't remember what particular style they are but they look very smart.

Where in Cumbria are you going? Just being nosey.

Higgle

PF, that is exactly what I wear, so i know it is a good combination, and I will recommend. We are going to Stonetrail, I went on a 3 day ride for those returning to riding last year and came back with hugely renewed confidence.

I use Mountain horse long boots, if short boots are worn make sure they are designed for horse riding I had a nasty leg injury through wearing builders type boots which jammed in the irons