What riding boots for husband returning to riding?

Higgle

New User
Visit site
Seeing the pleasure I've had from starting to ride again this year after a long gap my husband has decided to follow suit, and has booked to go with me on a 4 day break in Cumbria in the early summer. he will begin to have some lessons after Christmas. We sold our horses 20 years ago and as his was a bit of a nutter who he controlled admirably I'm sure he will soon be enjoying it again. He has been muttering about some long leather boots for Christmas but I have explained to him most people seem to wear short boots and half chaps these days, which are more versatile. I would like to get him something nice, but not ruinously expensive any suggestions? It will be mainly for hacking and possibly informal cross country.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My OH wear Ariet short boots and leather half chaps. He preferred that for getting a good fit on the calf. Not a cheap option but not prohibitive cost wise and good quality. It's a while since he got them so I can't remember what particular style they are but they look very smart.

Where in Cumbria are you going? Just being nosey.

Higgle

New User
Visit site
PF, that is exactly what I wear, so i know it is a good combination, and I will recommend. We are going to Stonetrail, I went on a 3 day ride for those returning to riding last year and came back with hugely renewed confidence.

GTRJazz

Visit site
I use Mountain horse long boots, if short boots are worn make sure they are designed for horse riding I had a nasty leg injury through wearing builders type boots which jammed in the irons

Damian Kelly

New User
Visit site
I'm breaking in some Rhinegold Olympias as I drink a pint of ale while warming by the log burner.

Go for long boots! (And beer) as long as you take your time breaking them in they will serve you well.

soapy

Visit site
You should treat him to some long boots then! I'm a bloke too and bought a pair of Brogini Casperia several months ago. They're Smart, comfortable and have lasted well. Also at under 100 quid they were cheaper than short boots and half chaps.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve gone for short boots and Ariat leather half chaps for my OH, but that’s fairly economical for us as he has some RM Williams short boots already. I don’t know what the unisex/male offering is like, but I really like my bareback equestrian long boots and the customer care post sale has been great (free laces posted out when one of mine broke after getting caught on a bramble).