What rug for wicking and travelling?

dozzie

Visit site
Just wondering what people use and what is recommended. I am a bit out of touch tbh. Last competitive horse travelled in either a summer sheet or thermatex but realised yesterday, when young horse sweated up on ride that I didn't have a cooler or travel rug to fit her. Dried her off outside which was fine (old school way ) I was looking at the eskadron fleece rugs and wondered how the fleece rugs work with a horse that will probably sweat up initially in the box and will certainly sweat up first time out at a show etc. I have seen one that will fit her in a sale but not sure about breathability of fleece. Am I better to splash out n a thermatex (money is tight now as I am on my own)? Or is there something better/similar that is cheaper?

Naughty Magpie

New User
Visit site
I bought a Derby House full neck fleece rug in a baby blue - it was £20 in the sale (bargain!) and I use it for just about everything. Once my hunter has been clipped it goes on underneath his turnout rug, keeps him warm and shiny and clean and dries out quickly if the edges get a bit damp. It comes with us after we've been hunting to dry him off, it lifts the sweat away to the outside and keeps him warm whilst travelling back in the trailer. And I use it as a stable rug and after sweaty exercise in the winter. Plus it fits in the washing machine (heaven!). For £20 I'm really impressed with it!!

muckypony

Visit site
I only ever travel mine in a thermatex if it's really freezing cold as he's a sweater! I normally travel him in a PE fleece and that seems to be fine for him.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My little cob used to get terribly hot when traveling to start with -i used to travel her with nothing on in the beginning and then whack a cooler on as soon as we arrived so she didn't get cold.
Now she's a bit more experienced I usually travel her in a Back on Track mesh rug, or thermatex if it's properly cold weather. She would get too hot travelling in a thermatex most of the time but I don't think you can beat them for an all purpose cooler when you aren't driving.

Have a look on ebay, there are often well priced second hand ones available.
I hate fleece rugs, I always find they pull out of shape and slip back - I like the old fashioned waffle rugs to wick in the warmer weather, super cheap too. People speak highly of the summer weight thermatex too, I might investigate this year.

Evie91

Visit site
Mine (unclipped) gets very hot travelling; seems fine on the way there but sweats up on way back! Not found out why yet. I've been travelling her without but friend has suggested Lemieux mesh rug, apparently keeps muscles warm but wicks away any moisture, she thinks it's fab. Yet to buy one though.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I also have a sweaty traveller, travel him in a PE waffle cooler or naked. Have also travelled him in a cotton sheet, but his waffle cooler is smarter for competing. When I travelled him in a thicker fleece he came off the trailer literally dripping sweat and foaming through the rug. He's a hot horse anyway but the issue is complicated by the fact he's not a great traveller (but getting better!)

chestnutx

Visit site
No use really but my mare is the same! She never sweats on the way somewhere but is much hotter on the way back! I can't figure out why either so it doesn't really help you! She is generally a good traveller.

dozzie

Visit site

skint1

Visit site
I bought a Derby House full neck fleece rug in a baby blue - it was £20 in the sale (bargain!) and I use it for just about everything. Once my hunter has been clipped it goes on underneath his turnout rug, keeps him warm and shiny and clean and dries out quickly if the edges get a bit damp. It comes with us after we've been hunting to dry him off, it lifts the sweat away to the outside and keeps him warm whilst travelling back in the trailer. And I use it as a stable rug and after sweaty exercise in the winter. Plus it fits in the washing machine (heaven!). For £20 I'm really impressed with it!!

I have the same rug I think anyway, it is very useful and versatile

Micropony

Visit site
I thought the lemieux cooler looked good for travelling just wish it was a bot plainer!

I have one and it seems to be spot on for the job but like you I wish it didn't have the stupid writing all over it! In really hot weather I travelled him without a rug, but when it got slightly cooler I thought the le mieux would keep the draught off his muscles as I like to travel him with the roof vents and windows open. Have only taken him out once so far in properly cold weather and he wore the same thermatex he was wearing as a day rug in his stable and seemed comfortable.