What showing class would you put this in?

DirectorFury

Visit site
I fancy having a go at some low-level showing next summer but don't know what class to put the horse in :).

15.2/3, Sec D mare. I pull her mane and trim what little feather she grows as she looks nothing like a D and doesn't move like one either. Blemish-free, assuming this lump from a kick 10 weeks ago goes down.

12107893_10153694070816882_1511123177643858256_n.jpg

13103493_10154178406076882_9185395264334524559_n.jpg

13221109_10154213299271882_1198022788665313243_n.jpg

Turnout tips would also be gratefully received!

Last edited:
Visit site
Riding horse (or too heavy?), WH? Can Sec Es still go in M&M?

There is no upper height limit for a D so still eligible for M&M.

With more weight on you could do Hunters. If you can hit the 15.2hh button not the 15.3hh you can do Small Hunter. I know of a few D's that do hunters and do quite well at them as they are nothing like real D's - they are too big and horsey so have lost the pony head and movement.

Crackerz

Visit site
What a lovely sporty mare, big thumbs up for being an owner that recognises that she isn't necessarily a 'true to type' Sec D despite being fully registered and may do better in non M&M classes :D

Does she jump? If so, despite being light of bone for a D, the M&M workers may well suit her, or even plaited workers at local level :)

There are no height restrictions on Sec D's but you'd be in the upper height section of M&M workers if you went down that route at affiliated level :)

DirectorFury

Visit site
Riding horse (or too heavy?), WH? Can Sec Es still go in M&M?

I'm quite tempted by WH :). I don't think she'd do very well in M&M classes as they're still looking for the movement that fits the breed and she's never done/can't do the high-knee Welsh trot.

There is no upper height limit for a D so still eligible for M&M.

With more weight on you could do Hunters. If you can hit the 15.2hh button not the 15.3hh you can do Small Hunter. I know of a few D's that do hunters and do quite well at them as they are nothing like real D's - they are too big and horsey so have lost the pony head and movement.

Small Hunters would be worth a look, thanks.

What a lovely sporty mare, big thumbs up for being an owner that recognises that she isn't necessarily a 'true to type' Sec D despite being fully registered and may do better in non M&M classes :D

Does she jump? If so, despite being light of bone for a D, the M&M workers may well suit her, or even plaited workers at local level :)

There are no height restrictions on Sec D's but you'd be in the upper height section of M&M workers if you went down that route at affiliated level :)

Thank you :eek:. I once had a vet who was adamant that there had been a passport mix up and that mine was actually a sport horse cross. He only stopped going on about it after scanning her microchip and finding that it did, in fact, match the passport <eyeroll>.

She jumps very well if a bit enthusiastically at times :p. I've watched some M&M classes this summer and feel like she'd tower over 99% of the other competitors and be marked down for it :/. The very short and stocky types seem to be the ones who win everything around here.

Crackerz

Visit site
I'm quite tempted by WH :). I don't think she'd do very well in M&M classes as they're still looking for the movement that fits the breed and she's never done/can't do the high-knee Welsh trot.

Small Hunters would be worth a look, thanks.

Thank you :eek:. I once had a vet who was adamant that there had been a passport mix up and that mine was actually a sport horse cross. He only stopped going on about it after scanning her microchip and finding that it did, in fact, match the passport <eyeroll>.

She jumps very well if a bit enthusiastically at times :p. I've watched some M&M classes this summer and feel like she'd tower over 99% of the other competitors and be marked down for it :/. The very short and stocky types seem to be the ones who win everything around here.

Don't worry about her height, my D is 15.1hh and even with masses of bone will look small in the ring! She will not be marked down - her breed has no upper height limit. M&M workers (not flat) i think your mare would be fine in, but you could try plaiting her if you'd feel more comfortable :)

KautoStar1

Visit site
a small hunter should be a scaled down version of a middle weight, not a large pony. As lovely as she is, she has pony characteristics, particularly her head.
I think if she jumps WH is the way to go. The other thing to do is get out to some showing clinics and get advice from there.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Oh and please don't be tempted to put weight on your horse just to make a type. Sometimes they are what they are and not everything fits into a showing class.

Nappy Croc

Visit site
Novice horse, Ridden horse, riding club horse, even riding horse, working hunter (plaited or m+m) for local level :) Just enjoy it and take on board what they say. Often at local level you can win by giving a nice show (or ride) and for the workers jumping clear, even if you wouldn't be strictly that 'type' at higher level :) (within reason!)

DirectorFury

Visit site
Don't worry about her height, my D is 15.1hh and even with masses of bone will look small in the ring! She will not be marked down - her breed has no upper height limit. M&M workers (not flat) i think your mare would be fine in, but you could try plaiting her if you'd feel more comfortable :)

M&M workers sounds like a good starting point then :). I'm mostly planning to just play at local level around our eventing and dressage unless she shows a particular aptitude for showing.

a small hunter should be a scaled down version of a middle weight, not a large pony. As lovely as she is, she has pony characteristics, particularly her head.
I think if she jumps WH is the way to go. The other thing to do is get out to some showing clinics and get advice from there.
Oh and please don't be tempted to put weight on your horse just to make a type. Sometimes they are what they are and not everything fits into a showing class.

I wouldn't dream of putting weight on her - I've had a nightmare with EMS, suspected lami, hoof problems, and so much stress about the sort of grass she's on. It's not something I ever want to deal with again! Thank you for the other advice, consensus is definitely WH at the moment :).

Novice horse, Ridden horse, riding club horse, even riding horse, working hunter (plaited or m+m) for local level :) Just enjoy it and take on board what they say. Often at local level you can win by giving a nice show (or ride) and for the workers jumping clear, even if you wouldn't be strictly that 'type' at higher level :) (within reason!)

That's interesting to know, thanks :). There are some people round here who take local stuff veeeery seriously so I wanted to make sure I was in the right sort of class just so I stand a chance of not coming last :p.

Now a question relating to turnout:
Would this combo be OK for M&M and plaited WH classes?
Jacket:
s-l1600.jpg

Hat:
s-l225.jpg

beige breeches, and a shirt and some sort of tie (what colour?).

Walrus

Visit site
If it's local level unaffiliated there will be loads you can do, we have some great local shows round us that cater for everyone so you can at least give it a go and get some experience, riding club horse, best mare, the bays, greys, chestnut class there is generally something for everyone!

Personally, if she jumps I would try workers and for ridden something like a riding club horse class.

Jacket and hat look fine, you just need a complementary tie, I might go maroon or dark green with that jacket. I prefer a yellow or cream shirt (get a cheap white one and wash it with some brand new yellow dusters), then brown gloves and don't forget a hairnet. :)

conniegirl

Visit site
Hat id perfect,
The jackrt is a fashion jacket not a riding jacket so big no! Those pockets and tge shape of the front give it away