What sort of dog is that

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Twenty five plus years ago I was walking my young dog when an American woman told me I had a really super English Setter. Which was really nice of her, unfortunately he was a Dalmatian. She questioned me when I insisted he was a Dalmatian and went on a long ramble about English Setters and Dalmatians in the states. She did insist that Dalmatians are hairy and English Setters were smooth. Who knew!:rolleyes:

{97702}

Visit site
Twenty five plus years ago I was walking my young dog when an American woman told me I had a really super English Setter. Which was really nice of her, unfortunately he was a Dalmatian. She questioned me when I insisted he was a Dalmatian and went on a long ramble about English Setters and Dalmatians in the states. She did insist that Dalmatians are hairy and English Setters were smooth. Who knew!:rolleyes:

That's fantastic :D :D :D Who knew indeed..... I take it she didn't even watch Disney films!!!!

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
This is my 'Dalmation' ;)

To be fair she's probably not full springer (bit of setter maybe) but these are not spots, it's just ticking gone mad.

I often get asked if Rufus is full springer because he has a big pointer type head. Yes of course he is, that's how a springer's head is actually supposed to be, is my usual reply. Not the pointy nose, long legged beasts people have a tendency to breed these days.

55FBE1E9-CDB2-4E34-9211-2FD3AA395F7E.jpg
She's gorgeous, who cares what breed she is?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Every now and again I'll get children talking to me about dogs. Many of them have pit bulls and then they want to know if the GSDs are pit bulls. Kinda boggles my mind.

Lol. As mentioned, mine was mistaken for a pit bull cross by a show GSD person because of his big head :p
What way is yours bred? PM if you prefer :)

GSD Woman

Visit site
Lol. As mentioned, mine was mistaken for a pit bull cross by a show GSD person because of his big head :p
What way is yours bred? PM if you prefer :)
He's western European working lines. His breeder was a k9 officer before she had to leave the force with a disability. She produces a lot of working dogs, police dogs, SAR dogs, that sort of stuff.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
He's western European working lines. His breeder was a k9 officer before she had to leave the force with a disability. She produces a lot of working dogs, police dogs, SAR dogs, that sort of stuff.

Nice. I've got a west German WL import and a WL bred from mostly Belgian lines here, probably a few dogs in common :)

GSD Woman

Visit site
Give me the working lines any day. I don't know what the show dogs look like in the UK but in the USA there is a tendency towards dogs that have extreme angulation and walk on their hocks. It makes me sad.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Give me the working lines any day. I don't know what the show dogs look like in the UK but in the USA there is a tendency towards dogs that have extreme angulation and walk on their hocks. It makes me sad.

Yes there is a lot of overangulation in the AKC world, has been that way for many decades. I had Fred Lanting's book as a child!
There are exaggerations in show lines, (and in any breed), and in working lines as well, whilst they're generally better put together, they still have issues with things like HD/ED allergies, back problems, stomach problems, obsessive behaviours etc....
I think that will happen in any popular breed where a lot of linebreeding/single issue breeding happens.
I've come across as many working line dogs with health problems as show lines, being big and square and grey isn't a failsafe unfortunately.