What sort of dog is that

{97702}

Visit site
My German Shepherds are sable and the two bitches are bi-colors. I'm often asked if they're Belgian Malinois. One man asked me about my sable boy's bloodlines so I thought he knew GSDs and started talking about his breeding when the man cut in and asked what sort of mix he was.

I wouldn’t mind if GSD’s weren’t built totally differently to Belgian Shepherd dogs 😂

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My German Shepherds are sable and the two bitches are bi-colors. I'm often asked if they're Belgian Malinois. One man asked me about my sable boy's bloodlines so I thought he knew GSDs and started talking about his breeding when the man cut in and asked what sort of mix he was.

Lol. As I mentioned on another thread, my black LSH used to get called a Gronendael or a collie cross, lots of people think the sable is a mali/mali cross/wolf cross and someone who kept show GSDs thought he was crossed with a pit bull as his head is massive :p

{97702}

Visit site
Malinois, at least in the USA, are fawnish with black mask. The Groendaal is the one that has the longish black coat.

Yes I appreciate that, I was referring to the black shepherds CT was referring to? There are groendaals living down the road from me, and also 3 turverans so I’m very familar with the breed 😊

{138171}

Visit site
What about flatcoats then? No one ever knows what they are. Either Lab x Spaniel or some sort of setter.
A friend with a black one ( not even liver) got asked if it was a red setter!! 🤪
I know what they are, I love them! I love Gordon setters too, there is one local to me and the lady was shocked I knew what he was when I first met them. I have a Affenpincsher and no one ever knows what she is either

vallin

Visit site
Unsurprisingly Daisy just gets mistaken for a lab rather than the mutt (lab x gsp) she really is. Last week a lady (with a fabulous, fit, entire lab) asked me if she was neutered because she was just her type of lab. Did make me chuckle.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.JPG
    IMG_3456.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 23

Clodagh

Visit site
Unsurprisingly Daisy just gets mistaken for a lab rather than the mutt (lab x gsp) she really is. Last week a lady (with a fabulous, fit, entire lab) asked me if she was neutered because she was just her type of lab. Did make me chuckle.

She is very labbish in her body, isn't she? The head and ears are a bit pointerish though. :)

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I'm always getting told how fit my black labs are (they are solid black GSP's). I once had an old guy with two elderly black labs tell my dogs "You're going end up just like this one day!" .. i didn't have the heart to tell him i very much doubted it!

Attachments

• 42943836_2322860264398050_9118286590987206656_n.jpg
    42943836_2322860264398050_9118286590987206656_n.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 21

eatmyshorts

Visit site

Daisy reminds me very much my little girl Lexi, who we sadly lost last Summer, well before her time ...

Attachments

• 38744645_2243782245639186_456608646231490560_o.jpg
    38744645_2243782245639186_456608646231490560_o.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 13

vallin

Visit site
Daisy reminds me very much my little girl Lexi, who we sadly lost last Summer, well before her time ...

They look very similar!

Clodagh, she has a very lab like body until you look at her from behind and watch her waddle with the very typical 'I've crapped my pants' pointer waddle 😂

superpony

Visit site
I get asked if my yellow lab (who was bought by original owners from a breeder and looked like an Andres puppy back then) is a young dog (he’s 3 so fully grown) or a cross breed, because he is a bit smaller than average and a lot skinnier than average (I know some people have fit and/or working labradors but sadly there seem to be mostly obese ones)
No this is what Labrador’s can look like when fit and healthy thanks!

I have the same with my 6 year old yellow lab. They are really shocked when I say how old she is. She is also skinny/fit!

pippixox

Visit site
This is a very entertaining and informative thread.
Especially when pedigree dogs are questioned by people who don’t own them!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Joined by a friend at ringcraft this week and she thinks the long coated entlebucher-a-like is an Australian shepherd. When did they get so heavy, long and short?

Another comment today from someone who 'didn't realise they could be solid black', I just know they think he's a husky puppy. :p

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
I have a Bedlington, you can only begin to imagine what I get asked. is he a sheep, is he a goat. Is he a poodle cross. What sort of cross breed is he. Is he a long haired italian greyhound!

I have been told he cant be a Bedlington as he is not grey well he is some weeks and not others, it a typical Bedlington coat that changes colour weekly, from dark grey to nearly white, depending on the time of year, and where he is in his grooming,