What sort of horse owner are you??

maisie06

Visit site
This is not a dig at anyone so play nicely!!

It struck me today that there are many different kinds of horse owner. There are the "obsessive" types, who live and breath and talk nothing but horses. They are at the stables every spare minute either riding, mucking out or doing other bits but have no life or friends outside the horsey world.

Then there's the dedicated and ambitious "competition crew" These types are highly competitive and live to show and compete, if they couldn't they wouldnt keep a horse. The horse is a working animal not a pet (although this does NOT mean they don't care for it!!) These guys train everyday regardless of weather conditions!

There's the leisure and pleasure riders, these see their horse everyday, but dont feel guilty if they dont ride for a few days and have a life and hobbies other than horses too. They tend to hack, do lessons and take part in local RC comps through the summer - going for a social and gossip session is seen as more important than winning!!

The couldn't care less camp - I doubt anyone will admit to this!! But we all see a few of these come and go on yards!! They buy a horse, often totally unsuitable and it's all go for the first few weeks and then the horse is dumped in a paddock and rarely visited.

The collector - has about 12 horses and 3 full time jobs and not enough time in the day!!

So, I admit to belonging to the leisure and pleasure group - what's yours?

Mince Pie

Visit site
Another leisure and pleasure here, I have a busy, stressful (at times!) job and my horses are my 'release' from that.

Jennyharvey

Visit site
I would probably be between an obsessive, and a pleasure rider. I have my horses at home, so ride in morning, go to work, ride in evening too. I don't have much social life out side of horses, mostly because I prefer the company of horses to people anyway.
I do a bit of small jumping and RC, nothing too big and just for fun.

Lintel

Visit site
According to my boy- I am a cruel horse owner! After him giving into trouble for being a brat! :D :rolleyes:
But I am a leisure and pleasure camper :D

-How I dream of being dedicated though... *sigh* :rolleyes:

bumblelion

Visit site
Leisure and pleasure! My boys have had 2 years off whilst I was pregnant and bringing my daughter up. Been tough as they're at home so iv still been mucking out etc but just not been able to squeeze in the time to ride! Moving house and putting them on part livery so I can be selfish and ride! Lol! It's taken me the whole 2 years though to get back into riding motivation! Although will just be hacking and lessons etc, doubt anything competitive. I just enjoy owning horses, ridings a bonus but not the bee all and end all!

soulfull

Visit site
I must be odd as a mixture of the first 3

I do spend a LOT of my time at the yard. I only have one other interest (first responders for ambulance) the two things take up ALL my spare time

Before my horses injury and hopefully again soon, will ride, train most days to improve

compete at RC + unafil SJ DR but hope to do well

I can't be the only one that is like this

kelly_s1

Visit site
I would say im more obsessive type, with the odd competition once my horse learns to behave loading!

My boyfriend has his car hobby, I have my horse hobby - we like spending time doing our own thing and because he works most weekends I can spend all the time I want doing horse things without the boyfriend moaning that im down the yard to long etc etc!! I have also only lived in this area for a few years and trying to find a group of friends outside of the horse world when you haven't grown up with them from school is very hard

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
I'd say a leisure-collector, the trouble is we've got 200ha so you always think 'what's one more?' even if they're not really suitable and just end up as field ornaments :rolleyes:. I used to be obsessive but Italian OH has fixed that for me :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Used to be somewhere between obsessive & competitive, did have friends but all horsey. Since having daughter now leisure, don't have hobbies myself but do my best to encourage daughter to do other stuff. Is there a category for the skint type? That would be me.

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
I'm also a mix of three.....I compete as often as possible and I LOVE it, my horse is kept competition fit....but I'm as obsessive as they come and I spend every spare moment with my boys, and if I could never compete again I wouldn't care, I'd be a fully paid up member of the leisure and pleasure group so I'm a mix of the three I reckon.

HDPE

Visit site
Somewhere between obsessive and competition. Clearly, any one who knows me will vouch, competing is my life, but even if I couldn't compete - and due to health issues this time will come - I would 'need' to be surrounded by horses. Can't live without them.

Shutterbug

Visit site
Im sure my OH would have me in the obsessive camp but Im firmly in the leisure/pleasure camp. I love doing things with my horse, love us learning and growing as a partnership but want to enjoy my riding and have fun with him - if I dont feel like jumping I wont and we will enjoy a relaxing but fun hack instead - I do have a rather nasty competitive streak that pops up during jump offs though - must be my competition side getting out for a bit :D