What sort of noseband is this?

AprilBlue

Visit site
Dyon20double20noseband1_zps2765bf0c.png
[/IMG]

just stumbled upon this noseband and its the first time I've ever seen anything like this! Is there an actual name for this noseband? What does it do? How severe is it?
just wondering :)

L&M

Visit site
It looks like a cavesson with an attached drop - what it is called I have no idea!

I imagine it would have a milder action of a conventional drop, but only guessing........

AprilBlue

Visit site
I think this noseband is very interesting, I've never seen a horse wear one before. what discipline would it be used in? I suppose dressage rules wouldn't allow it so maybe showjumping?

pennyturner

Visit site
Most horse just don't need nosebands. I find it quite depressing how many are fitted with a flash just because there was one with the bridle, or everyone else does. For all that this could let you truss up your horses face like a christmas turkey, it would do the job quite well. It won't interfere with the bit or pinch the mouth. Much better than a flash.

God it's ugly, though.

JillA

Visit site
Looking at it again, I wonder if it exerts pressure on the soft nasal bones and accompanying tissue? That was surely the reason for the flash and grackle superseding the standard drop. I agree with pennyturner though - I use a small cavesson just to finish off the bridle, fitted very loosely. If a horse needs a gadget such as that, it needs reschooling more!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Looking at it again, I wonder if it exerts pressure on the soft nasal bones and accompanying tissue? That was surely the reason for the flash and grackle superseding the standard drop. I agree with pennyturner though - I use a small cavesson just to finish off the bridle, fitted very loosely. If a horse needs a gadget such as that, it needs reschooling more!

I don't agree with your last statement at all. I had a mare who I didn't need a noseband for schooling or jump work at home, take her to a competition though and it was a completely different kettle of fish, she was schooled regularly and was very soft in the mouth but when she got excited or was in company the grackle came out of the box for both her, mine and those around us safety. My oldie I can hack with no noseband, but I wouldn't ask anyone else to as he can be sharp even at 23, it's just I know him inside out, other don't and he can be hot in company if he's in the mood.

Just because a horse needs a certain piece of kit doesn't mean it needs re schooled, to me that's quite a close minded and ignorant statement to make.

GoblinPony

Visit site
I don't think it's any more severe than a regular flash noseband. It lies flatter on the face so could be more comfortable than a flash, actually. But boy, does it look ugly!

ribbons

Visit site
Sorry BackBeastie, JillA was not being ignorant ! She is quite right.
The mare you describe needs much more time spent schooling, away from her comfort zone of home.
Gadgets are short cuts, for those who are either unprepared or unable to train and school the horse correctly to be responsive and obedient.

pennyturner

Visit site
The mare you describe needs much more time spent schooling, away from her comfort zone of home.
Gadgets are short cuts, for those who are either unprepared or unable to train and school the horse correctly to be responsive and obedient.

Mmmm. Yes and no. If we were all superb horsemen, and had trained our horses to perfection, we would need no tack at all. To that extent, saddles, bridles are all short-cuts.

You're both right, but BB is quite correct in using the equipment which gets the right result from the individual horse.

I do think that it's always nice to have in your mind the possibility of not needing it forever. For example, I have a little pony that used to rear. I found a standing martingale helpful, but discarded it after about a year, when he had been ridden regularly by an adult and given up on that particular trick.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Most of the western horses in the world are ridden without nosebands. None of the horses of the great horse nations, the mongolians, the native indians, none of them have or had their mouths tied shut. I'd say it's never necessary. Shoot me down in flames if you like, but you won't change my mind. To tie an animal's mouth tightly shut and then expect it to work in a relaxed way is a big ask. The fact that many horses DO work in a relaxed way wearing these things is a great credit to their good natures. A plain caveson doesn't do any harm (although apart from looks, I don't know if it does any good). But as for the rest of them....bah humbug!:devilish:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site

Oh god nosebands are now a gadget pmsl!!! Jesus honestly some people on this forum are so close minded, what's good for one horse is not always good for another, considering I competed most weekends when work allowed I think the mare was given many comp hours away from home thanks ;) I'd love to see you making these statements to the profs :D

Every horse is an individual and I'm not one for taking shortcuts with my horses they get what they need not what I want then to have, as shortcuts just make for issues in the long run, learned through experience :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Landcruiser

Visit site
Oh yeah, martingales. That's another reason for a noseband I suppose. If you need a martingale.....don't get me started! (Actually, I do know that they can be very useful/necessary for some horses who throw up their heads etc. But so many riders in Western europe use them routinely...and it's just not necessary!)

Having a grumpy day!!!
:p

dianchi

Visit site
In my PC days all PPC ponies wore drops and cavessons, so that they could wear standings as well.

Must be a demand as they wouldn't have made it otherwise!

Orangehorse

Visit site
My immediate reaction was that it was a special made for a show jumper, so they could attach a standing martingale to the cavesson and have the drop without using a flash or two nosebands. However, the "drop" part is far too low.

All nosebands are supposed to "prevent" the mouth opening - not to tie it shut which is sadly too often the case.

amandap

Visit site
All nosebands are supposed to "prevent" the mouth opening - not to tie it shut which is sadly too often the case.
I thought they were to prevent the mouth opening too wide. To me there is no difference in, tie it shut and prevent it opening, except it sounds nicer! lol

I think we have to ask why horses are opening their mouths in the first place and why do we just want to stop them mechanically? What does preventing the mouth opening do re the effect of the bit? One thing I see is we lose any feedback about comfort so can presume the horse is compliant when in fact the horse cannot resist or, that awful word, evade the bit!
Just remember what bits, even snaffles, do in the mouth. Do we really want to stop that feedback?

glamourpuss

Visit site

Waaaaaaaaahahahahahaha I love it when the 'horse needs to be schooled better' line gets trotted out.

I'm sure JillA could do a much better job than the Olympic medallist who has helped me school my young ex-racer & suggested that for him a grackle noseband was the best solution for fast work & jumping. [rolls eyes]