What state are your fields in?

Visit site
Mine are reasonably dry but still not had an amazing amount of grass come through as it's just too wet. I'm hoping with the warm weather it will start to come through next week. Luckily, mine are good doers but I'm still having to put hay out. What is everyone else's fields like?

Goldenstar

Visit site
The winter fields are bare but have been harrowed and rolled the summer fields are not ready for use yet it’s been too cold I have let them into the schooling field which I have never done before so they have something to eat it’s almost grazed off now.
There are loads of sycamore seedlings just starting to come up in the summer fields I will top the paddocks in the next couple of days then hopefully with a bit of sun and a little rain I will get them moved in the next ten days or so.
Everything is very late here this year there’s a bitter wind coming off North Sea most days .

Squeak

Visit site
Mine are reasonably dry but still not had an amazing amount of grass come through as it's just too wet. I'm hoping with the warm weather it will start to come through next week. Luckily, mine are good doers but I'm still having to put hay out. What is everyone else's fields like?

Mine are like yours, they had dried out and started to grow in the warm weather a couple of weeks ago but since then they've stopped growing and have just got increasingly muddy. Praying for another warm dry spell.

Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have summer and winter fields but I do rest parts of both fields and manage it as best I can. One field is old pasture and was saturated so I think that's why it's taking it's time.

HashRouge

Visit site
Our grass was coming through but seems to have stopped for the time being. Luckily it's a good sized field so they are not hungry and see, quite happy with what they've got. They're still on their winter fields though, as their summer fields are low lying and just aren't dry enough yet. I don't want rutted ground through the summer! Luckily we managed to get the winter field harrowed and rolled this week so they are finding it much easier to walk on!

meleeka

Visit site
Mine are like yours, they had dried out and started to grow in the warm weather a couple of weeks ago but since then they've stopped growing and have just got increasingly muddy. Praying for another warm dry spell.

Same here. I harrowed it two weeks ago (first time in 20 years!) and it was lovely. The grass has r frien since and the ponies are always hungry.

JJS

Visit site
Mine are much the same as yours, OP: reasonably dry now but the grass is only just starting to sprout. There's certainly enough to keep them going though, and the farmer has put one last bale of hay in to see us through. Give it a week or two and it will be a different story entirely!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The 2 at the yard have plenty of grass... too much, almost. They're still in overnight. The oldies out in the field have been sectioned off into a small area as it's growing well there too and that's their hay field!

It's been a long time coming but the grass is coming through at a rate of knots now here. Hay field has been narrowed and rolled by OH and it looks good :) I wish YO would do the paddocks at the yard, but they can't get tractors in as the gateways are too narrow :(

Floofball

Visit site
Desperately need rolling but still far to wet for that. Was hoping to get them done this week as everywhere is just firming up but we’re forecast heavy rain all night :-(
Horses are coming in hungry at 4pm so a long way off 24hr turnout yet!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Managed to get all the paddocks (3 acres divided in to 5 small paddocks) rolled before it turned wet again. Which is great but, with the exception of the winter paddocks which will be completely rested now, the other 2 little paddocks they are currently using got quite badly churned up again so I'm debating getting the chain harrow out again!

Their was a small amount of grass growth in those two paddocks but they are pretty bare now, although the two good doers haven't lost an ounce between them so I guess they are eating the shoots as they come through.

I have one other small paddock which has been rested since around January and has a lot of grass growth in there now. The old girl needs a bit more grass than the other two but I'm always wary of the risk of Laminitis so I've fenced off a small strip and she is currently in one half of the strip. Once she's eaten it down a bit I'll move the other two in there, move the old girl to the other half and rest the two bare-looking paddocks for a bit.

It is a bit of a logistical nightmare and this is my first year here so it's a little bit suck-it-and-see at the moment. I imagine I'll do it all differently next year.

The good thing is the fields are now dry! The bad thing is that we are in for an absolute drenching tomorrow so I guess we'll be back to being ankle deep in soupy sticky mud!

Hallo2012

Visit site
dry and far too much grass..............1 being strip grazed as he gorges and gets gasssy colic and 2 ponies on smaller paddocks with only long rough yellow grass.

only the TB and ever growing WB are knee deep in lovely green grass and the bits fenced off for winter are going jungle like already!!!!!

JillA

Visit site
dry and far too much grass..............1 being strip grazed as he gorges and gets gasssy colic and 2 ponies on smaller paddocks with only long rough yellow grass.

only the TB and ever growing WB are knee deep in lovely green grass and the bits fenced off for winter are going jungle like already!!!!!

Wow, where are you? Mine is poached still, haven't been able to get on it to roll it, and the grass has slowed down so much I am feeding the last of my hay which they are more than happy to see arrive.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Ours were drying up a bit, but last week saw the rain again! They are still on the winter field, as the summer dield is doing nothing much yet. It started when we had the warm weather, but as soon as it dropped cold gain, everything stopped :( The horses are out with haylage, but will probably have to be in again tonight as very wet weather forecast for tonight. This winter seems to be lasting forever!

TheMule

Visit site
Mine are looking great, they got harrowed and fertilised in a brief window of dry time about 5 weeks ago then rested, they were rolled and sprayed last week and so are resting again but the hay crop is coming on well and there's tonnes to eat when they're back on it. They're currently eating 10acres of cattle grazed ground that is rutted but that'll repair with rolling and harrowing when I get them back on my fields.

Annagain

Visit site
Ours are still on the winter fields but the grass is really coming through on them now. Apart from being rutted (YO missed the approximately 40 minute window between too wet and too dry and it's now too wet again!) it's pretty decent.

chaps89

Visit site
Ours were harrowed and rolled in the nice spell. We have grass in abundance :( We have one pony in a pen who fence walks so with the recent rain she has totally mullered her bit. Mine is also in a pen to restrict her but even so she is only going in the grassy bit in the day with her muzzle on and onto a bare strip at night with soaked hay. That bit is looking muddy now in places and id love not to ruin the field but just can't take any more chances with her weight/laminitis. The other 2 horses are out properly and the field looks good. The other 2 fields are resting and are bouncing back well, even the winter field which was totally trashed.

siennamum

Visit site
Rolled yesterday & starting to look fab. Way too much grass though, I must fence some off to stop them getting obese. The grass has gone mad here in Bristol really lush.

Fiona

Visit site
Have harrowed but not rolled yet as still slightly soft. Horses moved onto part of their summer grazing, ponies sharing a 1acre field which has just finished being strip grazed.

Not much grass yet, we've had frost the past five nights here in Co Down 😣😣

Fiona

BBP

Visit site
Grass is going bananas in the hay fields, feel like I could cut hay already! The winter field is also growing like mad. My biggest problem is the ruttedness after the wet spring.

I've just set up my first track system of the year to get them off the soggy middle and reduce the grass they can eat.

Last edited:

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Mine is very long and I sectioned a load off and was giving my horse about a foot every three or four day but then she went down with spasmodic colic so have brought the fencing forwards again. Its very muddy by the gateway but only to be expected given the wet weather. When we have a couple of days of dry weather its incredible how quickly it comes back. We will be harrowing/rolling as soon as we have a few dry days, hopefully next week!
Keeping her weight down as much as I can - last night her last ribs were just visible so I'm pleased given the sudden growth spurts we will probably have this weekend!

Hallo2012

Visit site
Wow, where are you? Mine is poached still, haven't been able to get on it to roll it, and the grass has slowed down so much I am feeding the last of my hay which they are more than happy to see arrive.

Midlands.
sandy soil so never really poaches properly (albeit this winter was the wettest ever but i have raked over the rough dried mud and flattened and re seeded by hand which tells you how minimal our mud was comparative to most)

we currently have 5 on 5 acres but 2 are small fat ponies,1 is a fat retired lawn mower and 1 is a daydreamer who doesn't really graze much so only 1 true eating machine!

we had a tricky end to Feb with 1 very sparse winter paddock, so moved the 2 competition horses on to summer fields early. those fields held up well to that and with a bit of warmth on them have now grown like crazy even with horses on them,and the previously sparse field is far too lush to put the ponies on now....... a bit of sun and our grass always goes bonkers!

Bernster

Visit site
I'm on a livery yard on a water meadow. They are either lucky or very good at managing (maybe both) it as the fields are never poached, have good grazing but it gets a bit rich around about now. The yard up the hill has much boggier fields so am v lucky where I am.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com

Same here, mine are dry and growing like stink. Of course some being accidentally fertilised by a neighbour didn't help with that!

Luckily everything is so dry I have been able to move them into the "turlough" fields which are usually underwater all winter and only usable mid-summer but are fine at the moment, and are rough grass, stones and hawthorns.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Green and Green and a bit rutty but recovering well

Leo Walker

Visit site
Grassy, green and lots of dandelions! Even the winter fields are recovering well. The rain and warm weather has lead to a huge grass spurt. Leo is turned out on the yard and drive today mowing the verges as they have gotten so long.