What supplement worked for you re; joints?

kgj66

Visit site
I am aware that each horse is different, and sometimes supplements are almost a placebo for paranoid owners (like myself). My horse is 7yo and has the beginnings of a bone spavin in her hock.

I will be discussing options with my vet how best to manage this ( she has had two doses of Tildren in the last 12months and is currently sound) but at the min I am looking into preventative measures rather than letting it get worse and then doing something. Sometimes I find vets have one idea because that's what works for them and I like to be able to suggest other ideas.

One I have heard of but don't know a lot about is Hyaluronic Acid (in injection and supplement form) to help lubricate the joint. Anyone any experience or this or other supplements?

It is not at the stage that we would be looking to fuse the joint - very small amount of degeneration but also an overly sensitive TB !

Thanks in advance.

claracanter

Visit site
Everyone keeps raving about turmeric, it's the IN thing for joints and aches at the moment. Haven't tried it yet though but a couple of people have recommended it for my TB

smja

Visit site
I used Cortaflex for my previous horse, who had spavins in both hocks (he'd previously had them injected, before I got him). I know there's no scientific proof, but he went from cracking joints and very stiff coming out of the stable in the morning to walking out like he was half his age!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Can't really say I've found any of them work and I've tried natural and chemical ones over the years. You just end up with an expensive muck heap.
As near as possible to 24/7 turnout and daily exercise seems to be the crucial factor. That said, I have one with spavins and turnout is restricted due to boggy fields at the moment, so he's doing really well on Previcox 1/4 tablet daily.

kgj66

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far! Definitely have a few ideas. I am loathed to spend big money on something that won't necessarily work but I guess I should give a few of them ago. She already has apple cider vinegar daily and is out from 8am - 6pm until the ground hardens up at which point she will be out 24/7.

The turmeric sounds interesting, I'm all for natural remedies where possible, mainly because they are cheap and usually have other benefits so aren't wasted if they don't help the intended ailment.

mirage

Visit site
Knobberpony has had Devil's Claw for as long as we've had her,I've never not given it to her so don't know what she's like off it.However,she is 24,goes like a rocket and is very flexible.My OH was watching her bend to scratch an itch and said he didn't think ponies could bend like that.

I tried her on tumeric,but she refused to eat it.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Another vote for cortaflex. I had my veteran on it, changed to feedmark, and there was a noticeable difference, he was much stiffer & started tripping. Went back to cortaflex, no problems. I lost him at 29, but he was still being lightly hacked up until then, which isn't bad for a 17.1hh warm blood.

treacle_beastie

Visit site
i put mine on premierflex ha in summer which helped but became stiffer in winter so tried the plus version which is the same but with devils claw. I now have a very strong, fast pingy horse back which im having to learn to control again after 2/3 years of ploddy, resitant horse!