What supplements work for you?

Clava

Visit site
Just wondered what people have found effective for different problems rather than general "good health" ? For things such as ulcers, sweet itch, lumps and bumps, head shaking...and what do you think is in them that is making the difference or do you not know? I find the often vagueness of ingredients lists frustrating and wonder that we sometimes put a lot of faith into products without the scientific back up? What do you think?

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I used to feed my old girl magnesium. She developed laminitis whilst on loan and her feet were neglected hideously, they were very badly over grown and cracking apart, it took years to get them right. For two years I had good farriers and fed laminaze 5*, and her feet were still very badly misshapen.
Then I read about the benefits of magnesium on the laminitis.org website and never looked back. My farrier could not believe the difference, her feet grew back beautifully and were almost normal within months, it was wonderful and very cheap by comparison to the laminaze 5*
I have tried all sorts of other stuff before but the magnesium really sticks out as obviously working if you know what I mean :)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I rate Pro Hoof which I get from a seller on ebay called Progressive Earth. I have a TB who is transitioning to barefoot and her feet are really looking good. I don't know if it's the supplement or not but as they're looking so good I daren't take her off it!

Izzwizz

Visit site
NAF Oestress - I'm sure it works. Horse was definitely different when she didnt have it and has it all year round..

Clava

Visit site
I rate Pro Hoof which I get from a seller on ebay called Progressive Earth. I have a TB who is transitioning to barefoot and her feet are really looking good. I don't know if it's the supplement or not but as they're looking so good I daren't take her off it!

I have heard good things about it, but I tend to think of it as a general health thing but that is refelected in great hooves.

lynds81

Visit site
I found Cortaflex didn't work, but Cortaflex HA does, so I assume that's the hyaluronic acid that makes a difference...

I've never yet found a single NAF product to work.

I also rate Vetrofen and Vetroflex - no idea what it is that causes it but there is a definite improvement when using either of them.

I fed a horse with a tendon injury Tendoneaze (Global Herbs) and my vet was amazed at how quickly it healed - whether that was the supplement, the management or just good luck I don't know...

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Another vote for magnesium - I use Magnitude. Was very suspicious about it to begin with as didn't want my sharp, lively, spooky pony to lose any of his personality but he is still the same boy - however, his anxiety levels have gone right down and he is suddenly able to actually concentrate and focus in the school. His flatwork has improved 100% in the 2 months he's been on it, but I still have all the lively, forward thinking, sensitive boy that I love.

Wish I'd used it years ago.

starryeyed

Visit site
Agree with Cortaflex HA, it's amazing stuff. If I remember rightly, the standard cortaflex is to prevent any problems, and the HA is to treat existing joint issues? - the standard type did nothing for my boy with quite battered joints (did a lot of sj'ing in his past homes) but he was a completely different horse on HA.

I've found that the Global Herbs supplements work really well.

The best calmer I've ever tried is Topspec's calmer - I can't remember exactly whats in it but I know it states that it uses "several different approaches to a calmer horse". It's worked on every horse I've tried it with, and doesn't turn them into a donkey which is what most calmers tend to do, just chills them without affecting performance. Completely relaxed my nervous wreck of a horse when nothing else did, and my new mare has been on it for 3 days and I'm already seeing a difference.

Sweetitch-wise: Indian Herbs Equine do a really good supplement, it absolutely stinks but made such a difference to my boy. Before having it he'd rub himself raw but feeding him this makes such a massive difference - the first year he had it he actually kept his mane and tail! It's called Teeburb, smells just like global herbs' "skratch" so I assume it's the same thing, but cheaper.

Last edited:

Clava

Visit site
Another vote for magnesium - I use Magnitude. Was very suspicious about it to begin with as didn't want my sharp, lively, spooky pony to lose any of his personality but he is still the same boy - however, his anxiety levels have gone right down and he is suddenly able to actually concentrate and focus in the school. His flatwork has improved 100% in the 2 months he's been on it, but I still have all the lively, forward thinking, sensitive boy that I love.

Wish I'd used it years ago.

I used to use Magnitude too :) and I also rate magnesium as it is often deficit in diets (great for many aspects of health), but Magnitude is IMO way over priced as a supply of magox it is much cheaper on ebay or naturalhorsesupplies.

frazzled

Visit site
Equidermis by feedmark. We haven't had mud fever since using it. Maybe coincidence but I'm not willing to take the risk and stop feeding it. Also his coat looks fantastic whilst on it. Interestingly we started feeding it because of other pony who had a sensitive skin so this has been a big bonus.

horsemadelsie

Visit site
I've never yet found a single NAF product to work.

How strange that what works for some doesn't for others! I have naf gasrti-aid and have noticed a vast improvement in my boy's stomach (he's always had problems and I've worked my way through most supplements on the market!) and a friend of mine always has her horses on magic (they're a bit loopy without it :rolleyes: )

Clava

Visit site
Equidermis by feedmark. We haven't had mud fever since using it. Maybe coincidence but I'm not willing to take the risk and stop feeding it. Also his coat looks fantastic whilst on it. Interestingly we started feeding it because of other pony who had a sensitive skin so this has been a big bonus.

Interesting, that one is mostly linseed and brewers yeast :), I feed both of those for general health, great stuff.

"Micronised linseed (53%), Brewer's yeast (23%), Cold pressed linseed oil, Nettle leaves, Burdock root, Clivers, Chamomile flowers, Calcium carbonate."

Last edited:

Clava

Visit site
How strange that what works for some doesn't for others! I have naf gasrti-aid and have noticed a vast improvement in my boy's stomach (he's always had problems and I've worked my way through most supplements on the market!) and a friend of mine always has her horses on magic (they're a bit loopy without it :rolleyes: )

I have used NAF Cushionaze and it did make a difference to my "cushings" pony, and I think that was the agnus castus in it as that also had the same effect.

Nocturnal

Visit site
NAF d-tox gets rid of my TB's fluidy midge bite reactions. I'm sure I could get the same effect cheaper, but I can't really be bothered to trial and error all the ingredients to find out which is the midge-busting one ;).

Clava

Visit site

Is "magic" a magnesium based calmer?

Clava

Visit site
NAF d-tox gets rid of my TB's fluidy midge bite reactions. I'm sure I could get the same effect cheaper, but I can't really be bothered to trial and error all the ingredients to find out which is the midge-busting one ;).

I looked into the ingredients of that one and I seem to remember they quite complicated and sounded vitamin C based I have a horse that reacts to bites so I might give that one a go :)

Edit - Here they are if you're interested :)
"Grape pulp, Vit. C, Zinc/Copper amino acid chelate, Manganese amino acid chelate, Multiple source citrus bioflavonoids, Beta-Carotene, Alpha-Lipoic acid, Curcuma longa, Glycyrrhiza glabra, Pantothenic acid, Vitamin and Mineral Premix, Aromatic Herbs. "

Nocturnal

Visit site
Yes, rosehips definitely feature, and I think brewer's yeast and turmeric along with various other things. I find a 10 day course at the loading rate clears up the reactions :).

ETA: cross posted. Thanks for the info. No brewer's yeast, then! In fact... I don't remember reading any of that on the label, lol! I only give a short course of the stuff though, so hopefully won't mess with my minerals too much.

Last edited:

Clava

Visit site
Yes, rosehips definitely feature, and I think brewer's yeast and turmeric along with various other things. I find a 10 day course at the loading rate clears up the reactions :).

ETA: cross posted. Thanks for the info. No brewer's yeast, then! In fact... I don't remember reading any of that on the label, lol! I only give a short course of the stuff though, so hopefully won't mess with my minerals too much.

Those ingredients were taken from here http://www.millbryhill.co.uk/equest...nts-2856.htm?gclid=CJLrqdzdmLACFTMetAodaHBc3Q - no idea if they are correct!! :lol:

Nocturnal

Visit site
Those ingredients were taken from here http://www.millbryhill.co.uk/equest...nts-2856.htm?gclid=CJLrqdzdmLACFTMetAodaHBc3Q - no idea if they are correct!! :lol:

Hmm, interesting. Here's where I saw the brewer's yeast: http://www.naf-equine.eu/uk//products/productDetail.jsp?detail_id=d-tox, and the rosehips, too.

I was just looking at NAF GastriVet for ulcer-symptoms as well, which appears to be very similar (but much more expensive)! http://www.pegasushealth.com/product/NAF_GastriVet.

Perhaps all NAF products are the same ;).

Clava

Visit site
Hmm, interesting. Here's where I saw the brewer's yeast: http://www.naf-equine.eu/uk//products/productDetail.jsp?detail_id=d-tox, and the rosehips, too.

I was just looking at NAF GastriVet for ulcer-symptoms as well, which appears to be very similar (but much more expensive)! http://www.pegasushealth.com/product/NAF_GastriVet.

Perhaps all NAF products are the same ;).

I think millbryhill must have made a mistake!

I think Global Herbs are all the same lol (especially as they all seem to smell of turmeric!)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Pure devil claw the root. Swear by it for my mare who has ringbone. Back in full work and not lame at all. Won't bother with devils relief by naf which is around 66% water.

chestnuttyy

Visit site
Calmer: Trinity Consultants 'M6' ... Absolutely transformed my horse. Sadly it's not competition legal but it'll do us until we progress to that stage!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
NAF Superflex works wonders for my creaky old man. If it ever finishes before I've gotten a replacement (very rarely) you can tell the difference virtually straight away. Used Cortaflex before that but got annoyed at paying a lot for what is essentially mainly alfalfa (plus it stopped working). I've also used ThinkItch with some success - very expensive and caused a load of problems trying to find food to put it in due to the massive doses and owning a good doer but as the staff on my livery yard felt sorry for him in a sweet itch rug on a hot day then often turned his hood down so he got bitten and I couldn't see how effective ThinkItch would have been.

Izzwizz

Visit site
No idea whats in the NAF Oestress as I havent studied the ingredients. I tried it and it has altered her behaviour, I can tell if I run out and she doesnt have it though and shes been having it now for around 6yrs.

AngieandBen

Visit site
Yea Sac; Brilliant for stabalizing tummies especially when the spring grass arrives. Ben's poos are generally less and not quite so bright green and loose!

Magnesium for their feet

Linseed for their joints/coats