What supplements work for you?

mulberrymill

Visit site
Pink powder works for all of mine. The stressy one has gone through most of the calmers out there with nil effect to speak of, tho pure magnesium oxide had the most effect, but as pink powder has quite a lot of that in it seemed a bit pointless. More recently changed him to brewers yeast, and a MASSIVE improvement. They all have vegetable oil for gut, feel, skin and coat, but just put them on t micronised linseed instead and will stop the oil.

Just as well all horses are different or most of the manufacturers would be out of business

Skippys Mum

Visit site
Magnesium (I use calmag and I get it from the local farm animal feed supplier - about £13 for a 25kg sack - cant get much cheaper than that).

Turmeric - happy powder for horses :D

and recently I have discovered a simple one that really makes a difference - salt. Ordinary table salt. He gets a couple of tablespoons in his dinner and he no longer gets that horrible frothy sweat. Its also made a difference to his (bare) feet:D

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Mines been on pure mag ox for a while and it's made no difference to her feet or mental health but I've got a bit left so will feed until it finishes.. I might be in for a shock!

I've just started feeding biotin pure because she doesn't have great feet, not sure if this will make a difference as time will tell.

I've always fed all of mine pink powder as a balancer and personally think it does its job, I always add oil but may try micronised linseed as an extra?

I would like to start her on some type of 'preventative' joint supp but wouldn't know where to start!

TigerTail

Visit site
From another thread

NAF pink powder ingredients
Quote:
Ingredients:
Wheatfeed, Dicalcium phosphate, Maize, Brewers' yeast, Bitter orange peel (ripe), Whey protein powder, Methyl
sulphonyl methane, White mineral oil, Sodium chloride, Fructo-oligosaccharides, Whey powder, Glutamine, Wheat protein, Magnesium oxide.

Wheatfeed - Anything that has feed or meal on the end of it is the sweeping off the factory floor when the actual seed has been used for something else. I dont know why anyone would spend their hard earned money on that, specially when its not concentrated enough to be of any use. This is whats known as a filler, it adds weight to the pretty pink tub but costs NAF nothing

Dicalcium phosphate - mainly found as a binder for cereals and in toothpaste, known irritating effect in humans, of little help to the horse. Is a calcium source but there are far better ones available.

Maize - a cereal which horses arent designed to digest. Low in fibre,high in starch, the opposite of what we want to be feeding horses.

Brewers Yeast - fine though low concentration, again better sources available for your money!

Bitter orange peel (ripe) - I havn't the blinking foggiest why this included! I cant find any studies extolling its benefits for the horse. Im guessing it sounds exotic and tasty?!?! There are experiments being conducted as to whether it can be included in ephedrine free drinks/foods which suggests to me its a stimulant - why is it in a horse supplement?!

Whey protein powder - whey its whats left over from dairy products, something else horses arent designed to eat. Yes it has protein content so good in that sense but again not something id expect to feed to a horse and not have digestive issues. No real benefit.

Methyl sulphonyl methane - msm as its usually known, fine but no details of the source so you dont know if its pure. Also no quantity so unlikely to be enough to make a massive difference.

White mineral oil - the pretty name for liquid petrolatum or liquid paraffin. Derived from crude petroleum. Used to be used as a drench laxative if youve got impaction colic. Guessing its the binder in this supplement.

Sodium chloride - Salt - fine though again no source or dosage listed.

Fructo-oligosaccharides - this is your pre biotic, insulin derived, can be found in some sweeteners, not too bad but doesnt excite me massively!

Whey Powder - See whey protein powder above, listed a second time to pad out the ingredients list?! Same problems now doubled!

Glutamine - one of the 20 amino acids, not recognised as a main one though. Has its uses but we dont know the dosage.

Wheat Protein - similar problem to whey, though this at least obtained from a plant not dairy - but that plant is a cereal. Higher in protein than Maize.

Magnesium Oxide - I sincerely hope these arent listed in order of importance! Plays an important part in nerve endings and muscle functions, known for a calming effect, useful to supplement with in the UK dependent on your grass analysis.

I am forage analysed so dont use anything really. Feed micronised linseed for the Omega 3's in winter as standard. Just about to do a course of psyllium husks as Im on sandy soil and they absorb sand granules on their way through the gut and help prevent sand colic.

rowy

Visit site
Magnesium oxide keeps my tb sane and helps both her and my other boy not be so footy.
Equiflex does wonders for my older girls joints.
About to put them on micronised linseed which I hope will help with overall health.

Visit site
Cortaflex - keeps my boy's joints supple during the winter months
Farrier's Formula - been using it for about six weeks and I've seen an improvement in the horn quality of his feet already!
PollenX - Fantastic supplement by Global Herbs. Combined with a nose net and head shaking is completely under control during the summer months. Also stops him from getting a dry cough when it's dusty and stops his eyes and nose running due to the pollen.

And now really a supplement but NAF Hoof Rub is fantastic! Won't use anything else now!

FionaM12

Visit site
Can I ask..I thought magnesium was used as a calmer? Or does it have lots of uses?

As I understand it, a lot of horses are deficient in magnesium. Restoring that balance can have a calming effect, but only if the horse was deficient in the first place. It won't work as a calmer if the horse didn't need the supplement.

It's also very important for healthy feet.

Mollie has magnesium and brewer's yeast. She doesn't mind the the magnesium but is a bit fussy about the yeast. I persevere as the farrier assures me her feet are masses better than when I got her so it seems to be working.

I try to give her garlic to fend off the flies in the summer, but I've more or less given up as she hates it.

Follychoppins

Visit site
Go Cortaflex HA! I have just come on here to look at what other people do with Cortaflex HA, whether they give the 15mls or 30mls dose. I have just upped to 30 on vets advice to try for a month. Within 3 days my 19 year old was pinging like she was on rocket fuel and I could actually feel she had some suspension in her hind quarters which are usually stiff and rigid and don't articulate very well. Her problem is arthritis and picking her off hind up for the farrier. The acid test is on 17th October when we will know if it has made a real difference to her if she can hold her weight better on the near hind. Fingers crossed. I used glucosamine and msm before but have to say the HA part seems to make a massive difference. All those years I could have improved things but I took the advice it was expensive and makes no difference...... not in my experience!