What the most common misconception about horse ownership (from non-horsey people?)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Over the years I’ve had various questions from work colleagues upon finding out I have a horse: most of them seem to have a morbid fascination for death and what happens to them after. The most common questions asked are:

“Do you have to go up every day?”

I feel like screaming and saying “well I’m in the first throes of teaching her to make his own tea and muck out her stable, but sadly it’s not going so well”
To be fair I don't go up every day but the question still grinds on me!

“Do they shoot horses?”

I feel like saying “yes they tie them up to a target board and anyone who pays me a fiver can have a go to win a prize”

“Do horses end up at a glue factory when they die?”

“No, they end up in your Burger King”

“Does your horse eat grass?”

“No but it gets through a fair bit of steak and chips a week"

"Do you do gymkana games on it?"

"Err no! We are both a bit long in the tooth!"

I know they mean well and are just curious, but seriously, I wish they'd engage brain before opening their mouths.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm sure I ask dumb questions of other people about their lives so while some of these are gently amusing I wouldn't get wound up by it.

"even on christmas day" is a common one ;)

people at work etc ask me what I do with them, one said "do you do equestrian?" and I figured it was too complicated to explain what dressage was so I just said yes.
its true, after all, I do do equestrian :p

Likewise my old boss always asked if I was doing well with my horse jumping. At that stage I had swapped to dressage years before but again I just went along with it.

twiggy2

Visit site
That small ones are all 'babies'
That 'you must be rich'
Even my mum after me working with horses for over 35yrs can't get her head round the fact that 'its Christmas day and the horses still need someone to 'visit'', to be fair she is the same with all stock 'i (she) understands that they need somone to go every other day of the year but it's Christmas!'
If they lay flat in the field they must be dead (guess who?)
My mum sent me a photo of a pony in a zebra rug with, 'guess what this is?' written under it, she was astounded that I knew it was a pony in a zebra rug, I do love my mum and she makes me smile, laugh and head desk in fairly equal amounts.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
You must be rich. (Nope, I work for the NHS. Plus I don't spend all of my disposable income on children as I don't have any, and I guarantee your children cost you more than my horse costs me)

Bet you were gutted when they banned hunting. (No I was overjoyed, I'm gutted it still goes on)

At the Olympics do the horses get a medal as well? (No) Why not, that's a bit unfair isn't it? (No answer I have ever used will satisfy a non-horsey person so now I just say, yeah it is a bit)

monte1

Visit site
I get the "do you have to go every day" comment as well, in fact when i say , yes twice a day every day, they look at me in horror :)

When asked why still have lessons after all these years, now i just say, i have a trainer to help me, which seems to make more sense to most non horsey people or explain that like any sport, golf, tennis etc you need professional help to improve your skills ....

non horsey people still think we are all mad though..perhaps we are..LOL