What the..?!?!

silv

Visit site
What a nasty, miserable old witch, obviously looking for some cash out of it. If that was my horse I would be delighted and flattered that they thought he was nice enough to photo. I have taken many photos of animals over the years when did it become PC to ask permission? How ridiculous.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The people in it were on a public footpath and there happened to be a horse in the background. No permission needed and indeed, how on earth would the guy know who to ask anyway. He (or indeed his son!) own the photo. The woman has utterly no claim on any of it and has made herself look like a complete fool.

only_me

Visit site
What a sour old hag.

Quite obvious that all they want is the winnings - which I hope never happens as the father & child make up 2/3 of the photo and the old hag's horse is only 1/3. Therefore majority rules!!

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Hmm im afraid I have to go against the grain here. Im afraid I wouldn't appreciate a picture of one of my animals being posted on social media without my permission.
It may be a public place but it still doesn't belong to the person taking the photo. Would you start taking pictures of a strangers car without their permission? Or their dog? Then post them all online?
Some people may be fine with it but I personally wouldnt like images of my horses posted all over the internet.
I agree however in regards to the holiday the owner is being petty. It would be the photos of my property being posted and used online without my permission that would annoy me.

shadowboy

Visit site
Hmm im afraid I have to go against the grain here. Im afraid I wouldn't appreciate a picture of one of my animals being posted on social media without my permission.
It may be a public place but it still doesn't belong to the person taking the photo. Would you start taking pictures of a strangers car without their permission? Or their dog? Then post them all online?
Some people may be fine with it but I personally wouldnt like images of my horses posted all over the internet.
I agree however in regards to the holiday the owner is being petty. It would be the photos of my property being posted and used online without my permission that would annoy me.

But then that would stand for every sheep, cow, chicken. It's impossible and ridiculous. It would effectively mean you couldn't take any photos just in case they happened to contain someone else's 'thing' in the background. Imagine all the flowers/roses and sheep scenes in brochures etc.... It would have been different if they'd gone on private land and done it!

It also goes the other way- imagine if you couldn't take pictures and one day saw a car or dog that you thought might have been stolen.... But couldn't put the picture on social media...

Equine_Dream

Visit site
But then that would stand for every sheep, cow, chicken. It's impossible and ridiculous. It would effectively mean you couldn't take any photos just in case they happened to contain someone else's 'thing' in the background. Imagine all the flowers/roses and sheep scenes in brochures etc.... It would have been different if they'd gone on private land and done it!

It also goes the other way- imagine if you couldn't take pictures and one day saw a car or dog that you thought might have been stolen.... But couldn't put the picture on social media...

I know it may not be logical but at the same time it makes me uncomfortable. Would you like the thought of someone taking a picture of your car and putting it all over the internet?
Maybe im just an overly private person but I wouldn't like it.

only_me

Visit site

So what about competition pictures with the judges car in the background? Dressage, eventing, showjumping etc. Would be affected.
Or county show photos with spectators in background?

Or what if you take a picture of a competitor riding their horse in a show ring? Or whilst going xc? Should you ask the rider in question for their permission to post online?

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I know it may not be logical but at the same time it makes me uncomfortable. Would you like the thought of someone taking a picture of your car and putting it all over the internet?

It's a bay horse with little to no identifying features. Hardly anyone would have known it was her horse had she not started bumping her gums about it.

This is about money and nothing else.

I wouldn't care if you took a pic of my car and put it on the Internet. There are thousands of cars exactly like mine.

Greylegs

Visit site

The bottom line here is that anyone can take a photo of anything and anyone if they are standing in a public place when it's taken. You don't have to ask anyone's permission, you own the copyright of the picture and whether we like it or not the owner of the copyright can do with it whatever they like. This silly woman has not got a leg to stand on. I wonder if the people who own the houses in the background are also complaining ? I hope these people enjoy their good fortune and have a great holiday.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Legally, there is no law to stop people taking photos of anything anywhere public, unless the landowner denies permission. Even then, it's unlikely that anyone could successfully sue, or no-one would ever have photographed landscapes, livestock etc.

The owner is being, IMO, a total mug and clearly just wants 'compensation' to which, legally, she is simply not entitled. I hope she comes on here and has checked the law, because she has no rights here.

DressageCob

Visit site
The point I saw in the texts was that the owner had trained the horse to do this. I can kind of see the annoyance there- if she spent ages teaching a horse a trick and someone else won a £2k holiday because of that trick and she gets nothing...you can see why she might be annoyed. Her reaction was ridiculous, but I do sort of get the sentiment (ill-founded though it may be).

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Like I said clearly Im in the minority with my view. I was simply trying to give another POV re taking photos of other people's property.
Its just something I personally wouldn't like. Though I would never kick up such a fuss. I do agree also that in the story in question the owner of the horse is purely kicking up a fuss because of the money involved.
Im just personally very glad I keep my horses on private property away from any public footpaths :p

sarahann1

Visit site
The point I saw in the texts was that the owner had trained the horse to do this. I can kind of see the annoyance there- if she spent ages teaching a horse a trick and someone else won a £2k holiday because of that trick and she gets nothing...you can see why she might be annoyed. Her reaction was ridiculous, but I do sort of get the sentiment (ill-founded though it may be).

I don't see a horse doing a 'trick' I see a horse that's smelled something funny and wants a better sniff at it. I don't see why she'd be annoyed, they just happened upon a horse which to them made a funny face. If they'd known the horse did tricks and knew the ques and took advantage that's a little different, but only by a teeny,tiny margin.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The trained it to do a trick thing seems incredibly far fetched to me!

Is she claiming the horse sees someone with a mobile phone taking a selfie and somehow "knows" to photobomb it with the flehmen response which is a natural behaviour all kinds of animals will do without any training or prompting...

Fools Motto

Visit site
What are we like? money grabbing fools. Sign of the sad times. Years gone by we wouldn't have given a monkey's uncle about this..
The horse owner needs a slap around the face with a wet fish, the father and son just needed to be congratulated on winning the prize. The horse needs a carrot. How simple is that?

tankgirl1

Visit site
The trained it to do a trick thing seems incredibly far fetched to me!

Is she claiming the horse sees someone with a mobile phone taking a selfie and somehow "knows" to photobomb it with the flehmen response which is a natural behaviour all kinds of animals will do without any training or prompting...

I agree, my thoughts are that the 'trained to do it' line was a load of the proverbial to try and back up her case

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site

It would make me uncomfortable, Im a miserable old baggage who also likes my privacy and hates the idea of someone coming along a photographing my horses. However..... Id never in a million years react like this woman, Id be so chuffed for the little boy and his family. Id also accept that having my horse in such a location that the public would take in interest. Trained to stick his tongue out?? Really?

On a different note - I was once photographed by the local press while competing at agility with my dogs, they also, unbeknown to me, videoed an entire round, including close up of me warming up. I only found out when people started to send me the link to the newspaper’s website. I was actually so mortified I felt violated. I know, I know, I know I should have been flattered but all I could do was cringe, I asked them to take it down and they apologised and did so. I do think I should have been asked.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Trained to do it? Anyone else think it's far more likely that little boy has just fed the horse something it doesn't much like the taste of?

Nessa4

Visit site
But surely they hadn't set out with the intention of taking the photograph, it was just a happy accident, and it was taken in a public place so why should permission be sought? The silly woman should grow up - and clearly hasn't done herself any favours!!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
My first reaction was that I'd be fine with it, and I liked the idea of asking them to come down with a bag of carrots for the horse.

But then I saw this thread:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?718959-Fake-Ad-for-my-Horse-!/page2

I'd hate to see my horse plastered on scam adverts, or adopted by those odd bods who use photos on social media to pretend they have a horse.

I'd be absolutely fine if the photo was just for personal use. On reflection, I think I'd be uncomfortable with it being distributed all over the Internet. Still, I'd ask them not to do it again and move on, I wouldn't respond with threats.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
My first reaction was that I'd be fine with it, and I liked the idea of asking them to come down with a bag of carrots for the horse.

But then I saw this thread:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?718959-Fake-Ad-for-my-Horse-!/page2

I'd hate to see my horse plastered on scam adverts, or adopted by those odd bods who use photos on social media to pretend they have a horse.

I'd be absolutely fine if the photo was just for personal use. On reflection, I think I'd be uncomfortable with it being distributed all over the Internet. Still, I'd ask them not to do it again and move on, I wouldn't respond with threats.

This exactly. Its the posting all over public sites I would feel uncomfortable with. God knows where my horses image could end up. I wouldn't have a problem so mich if it was just a photo for a family album.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
It would make me uncomfortable, Im a miserable old baggage who also likes my privacy and hates the idea of someone coming along a photographing my horses. However..... Id never in a million years react like this woman, Id be so chuffed for the little boy and his family. Id also accept that having my horse in such a location that the public would take in interest. Trained to stick his tongue out?? Really?

On a different note - I was once photographed by the local press while competing at agility with my dogs, they also, unbeknown to me, videoed an entire round, including close up of me warming up. I only found out when people started to send me the link to the newspaper’s website. I was actually so mortified I felt violated. I know, I know, I know I should have been flattered but all I could do was cringe, I asked them to take it down and they apologised and did so. I do think I should have been asked.

Completely agree the fuss being made by this owner is completely ridiculous! I may not like it but wouldn't have caused such a fuss in a million years.