What time do you do the horses in the morning?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Agree. A 25 minute drive does not sound like a lot, but on a cold and dark morning I would happily do away with it:) I keep thinking of bringing them home, I have a barn which could be converted to stables and food storage, and at a pinch enough land, but then no room for a school.... One day, when we all retire......

My horse is 22 minutes drive from home and 12 minutes drive from work. So long as leave outside rush hour.

My 22 minute drive to the yard in the morning, whilst I drink my coffee and listen to a podcast, is okay.

I think the time taken to manage land, fencing, grazing, muck, hay, maintenance delivery etc. would be far more than the travelling.

I think realistically having horses at home is more time intensive and more work for most people. Unless have good land, and live out and things very well set up.

huskydamage

Visit site
On my old early shift I turned them out at 0300 (had to be at work at 4), new shift is later start so I can go up at a much more respectable 0450. I do them around work so it varies depending on what shift I'm on. I might bring them in at 0200 then do the morning bit at 1030. I rent now but on livery funny enough no one was up there at 3 ?
I am always impressed by how decidated horsey people are to waking up at the crack of dawn to do the morning bit, you would never catch me up then if it wasn't for shift work! on my days off they have a load of Hay and the field gate open for them to take themselves out. No way would I be up there before 8am!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I was up and on a horse at 5.30am for years to get them done before work. I was always the first on the yard.
Now YO does them in the morning, so they are fed and turned out for me and I do everything in the evening. I start work at silly o'clock instead!

Charmer91

Visit site
As title, just curious really. I am the first on the yard (all DIY) on a weekday at between 6:00 and 6:30 depending on how much I need to do.

I was quite surprised at this, I thought it would be busy with everyone at that sort of time as it’s a 25-ish box yard!

So just wondering what time everyone else gets up to do the horses, as I think our yard may not be the norm.. I’m up at 5:00 and out the door by 5:35 to get there

Im in a similar situation, I'm the only one up the yard until about 8am. Others also work full time so i'm not sure how they manage it. But I have turn out a friend horse so mine has a buddy to go out with at 6.30. If I'm riding in the morning I'll be up by 5.30. Though once it gets to the summer people seem to be appearing eariler.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Horses at home, 6.45-7am in the week (i do sometimes ride before work on OH early day and get up at 5.30 with him).

weekend, whenever suits. if we have a quiet day then 9.30am but i give them more hay to compensate and they get skipped and checked 11-11.30pm.

lauracwd2

Visit site
I'm normally at the yard for 6.15am on a weekday but there is usually another owner who gets there just before 6am so she's normally fed everyone. On odd days if she's not working and comes a bit later I feed them all and then turn my two out. I aim to be leaving the yard about 7.10am to go home and shower. YO is normally just starting to turn out hers and those on am t/out about then. A few don't come til nearer 9am.

On a weekend I'm normally there between 8am and 8.30am. The horses all know who turns them out so no-one causes too much fuss even if they times vary a bit. I hate mucking out later in the day, much prefer to do it first thing then the stables are ready for them to come in to later.

xDundryx

Visit site
I work shifts when I'm on earlies i start at 7am so have to be at the yard by 04:45. The rest of the time I get there about 8am, one of the other liveries feeds him for me about 7 on these days so hes happy and I can come straight up groom and ride out x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
As title, just curious really. I am the first on the yard (all DIY) on a weekday at between 6:00 and 6:30 depending on how much I need to do.

I was quite surprised at this, I thought it would be busy with everyone at that sort of time as it’s a 25-ish box yard!

So just wondering what time everyone else gets up to do the horses, as I think our yard may not be the norm.. I’m up at 5:00 and out the door by 5:35 to get there
round about 6.45am I start my yard.Horses out by 7.20am, then start mucking out. Except for the laminitis ones who go out after 9am.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I'm up at 4.30 in the morning before work. I like to ride first thing. Fig needs his sucralfate and currently meds for lami... Rooni digs his bed up and trashes his hay... Bruce box walks... I just like to get it all sorted and if I'm not riding I just go back bed, I feel happier knowing that they are done and content.

Weekends... Whenever! I'm usually up early to hack, have a lesson or compete. Even if I'm not, the latest I'll leave them is 6. It just makes life so much easier and again, I'm happier knowing that they are fed and stables are done. Especially Bruce, he is a pig and I can't give him ad lib haylage like the others as he'll explode, so wary of him standing without anything for too long.

Bangagin

Visit site
Mine live out, but on work days I'm there at 7am to feed and hay. Weekends and days off around 9am. Some owners rock up around 11am, but all horses live out. Lots are looking longingly for hay though in winter. :(

indie1282

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 at the moment.

If stabled then I would be there at 6.45am. Weekends I get there between 8 - 8.30am. My yard is 2 miles from my home so a quick 5min drive ?