What time do you do the horses in the morning?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
As title, just curious really. I am the first on the yard (all DIY) on a weekday at between 6:00 and 6:30 depending on how much I need to do.

I was quite surprised at this, I thought it would be busy with everyone at that sort of time as it’s a 25-ish box yard!

So just wondering what time everyone else gets up to do the horses, as I think our yard may not be the norm.. I’m up at 5:00 and out the door by 5:35 to get there

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When we were on livery and I worked in the opposite direction to the yard, I got to the yard between 7.00 and 7.30 depending on which field they were going to, to put 4 horses out. We did everything else in the evening.

Ali27

Visit site
When mine were on DIY, I would be at yard at 5.30-6am during the week. I was always first on the yard. Now they are at home, I roll out of bed at 6.30 and turn out/ muck out but they are currently out 24/7 in a huge field so not poo picking so can get away with 7.15 if just feeding. I work from home so start at 8! I strangely miss my early starts!

Sasana Skye

Visit site
On weekdays during winter I'm there at 4:15, winter weekends anytime between 6 and 6:45.

In the summer they live out 24/7 so it depends on how my day pans out. So long as they are seen to every 24 hours I'm happy and I usually only go up once a day in summer. We are on a large livery yard (also all DIY) with 28 horses and herd turnout so technically they are glanced at probably 10 times a day by multiple people.

greenbean10

Visit site
On weekdays during winter I'm there at 4:15, winter weekends anytime between 6 and 6:45.

In the summer they live out 24/7 so it depends on how my day pans out. So long as they are seen to every 24 hours I'm happy and I usually only go up once a day in summer. We are on a large livery yard (also all DIY) with 28 horses and herd turnout so technically they are glanced at probably 10 times a day by multiple people.

How do you get up so early? I need advice I say I’ll wake up early every day to get them done yet here I am still in bed ? (they live out so not urgent to get out there!)

Sasana Skye

Visit site
How do you get up so early? I need advice I say I’ll wake up early every day to get them done yet here I am still in bed ? (they live out so not urgent to get out there!)

Just practice I suppose! Don't get me wrong some days it is difficult to get out of bed but I've never really struggled with early starts.
Now if my friends asked me to go out at night and stay up until 11pm then I'd have a problem, even if I'd had 12 hours sleep the night before.

oldie48

Visit site
Horses live at home and I am retired. I also usually ride in the morning so horses fit in with that. They get checked last thing at night before I go to bed and Fatty gets his last soaked little net and Rose always had ad lib to more than last her through the night. OH pops into the stables as soon as he gets up to give Fatty another tiny soaked net and I'll pop out and feed Rose at about 08.00. My main aim is make sure that neither stands in for too long without having something to eat and that they have enough turnout to keep them happy.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If there out at night about 8am if they are in 6.30 7am to feed and turnout, mine get a late night hay net at about 9pm in winter in the stable or in the field wherever they are, so I don't feel too guilty if they get seen to a bit later they always seem to have a bit of hay left.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Generally arrive about 6.30 am when other liveries rock up. I love the weekends because the lady who arrives at 5am during the week, has a lie in. This means that the horses and cattle in the barn haven't been unsettled and trash their bedding. Mucking out is quick and easy on Saturday and Sunday.

Wheels

Visit site
In the winter If I'm riding before work then 5.45, if not it's about 7. I leave for work at 8.50 and back home for 7pm

Im out at the yard for 7am or 7.30am on a weekend

In the summer if they're out then I'm at the yard for 5.30 (5am if they're in) leave for work at 6.15 and have breakfast there, home for 5pm and straight out to ride.

Horses are at home which makes it easier

HorseyTee

Visit site
Ours live out and with OH currently doing all the work while I'm out of action growing these babies, he has been going up at 4.30am to do first checks and breakfast for them, hays etc.
Then he is free all day to sort dogs and cats and come to appointments etc.

When I do go with him it's more of a 9.30-10am but he will still have been up earlier in the morning, I just go to have cuddles and groom as I can't do much else.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Between 7.15-7.45 am normally. A couple of people are up there around 6.15 and they feed all the horses. About 6-8 of them in winter. There are three of us about the same time then a couple more who don’t work turn up between 8-9 am.

I work flexi hours and from home quite a bit so I don’t have to change or drive far so that’s why I don’t usually have to be there too early.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Between 7-7:30am during the week, depending on if I'm working from home or in the office, weekends by at least 9am.

I don't ride in the mornings though, and although I used to be great at mornings I like my sleep too much these days...

AandK

Visit site
Depends. Mine live out, so during the week if not riding around 7.30-8am. If I am riding, then about 6.30am. Weekend between 8.30 and 9. If stabled for injury etc then about 7.30am.

Archangel

Visit site
Horses are at home so fed and out by 6.30am.
Weekends pretty much the same as I am an early to rise, useless after midday sort of a person.

tiggipop

Visit site
mine are at home - check on them 1st thing whilst waiting for kettle to boil / letting dogs out at 5.20am

walk dogs 5.45 and then start horses around 6.20! hay / muck out / feed then I feed dogs and myself before turning out if a work day or riding if a "pony" day!!

dorsetladette

Visit site
week days I'm there between 7 and half past. They live out and I start work at 8 so mornings consist of tying haynets up, checking rugs,water and casting an eye over electric fencing. I have everything organised from the night before so I don't have any locks to defrost or feeds to make up. Unless there is an issue I'm in and out in about 15 minutes.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Weekday between 6am and 6.30am and weekend between 6.30am and 7.30am.

I'm the first in the week usually, everyone else comes from around 7.30am onwards. Weekends I am sometimes the 2nd or 3rd.