What time do you..... PUT YOUR HORSES TO BED?

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Ok, so my share horse has had laminitis in the past so he cannot go out for too long. He is turned out about 7-8 in the morning and brought back in and put onto hard standing with haynet about 12-1 oclock, i get down the yard about 2.30, have everything done by about 3.15, tack him up ride, finish about 4-4.30 and then give him a good groom etc and i normally put him to bed about 5-5.30. However, sometimes i feel really guilty as some horses will still be being ridden, brushed etc and the other day was sitting having a cup of tea in coffee room (about 5.15) and a couple of people were like 'OMG I can't believe i've finished already, poor so and so being put to bed so early, i'm NEVER normally done by this time, gosh.' I was like
crazy.gif
cos obviously G's normally put in around 5.-5.30.

Do people think this is too early?! I would happily leave him out til about 5, get him in, ride him etc so he's not being put to bed until sort of 7ish but he can't go out for more than about 5 hours so obviously unless he's not getting put out until lunchtime he has to come in early. Once he's in early and on the hardstanding it's like what do you do with him?! Once ive mucked out, done haynets, water etc i just want to get on with riding him and then putting him to bed etc.

Anyway, a really stupid post but as i said, some other horses are only just being ridden at 5-5.30 so i just feel a bit bad sometimes
crazy.gif

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
It depends when if i ride in the morning or afternoon really. He normally comes in from the field around 4:30-5:30 If ive ridden in the morning he goes to bed then , if not he gets ridden then goes to bed 5:30-7 ish i guess

D

Donkeymad

I don't put mine to bed, they can come and go as they please 24/7/365

MagicMelon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So are everyones horses in at night still then-ours are out 24/7 know unless really flyey/hot in the day...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, but then mine all live out 24/7 all year round
wink.gif
I also have 2 lami-prone ponies, one is very sensitive to it so she stays in a large hardcored yard (with access to 2 stables) permanently (with loads of hay all the time obviously) whereas the other stays in the yard during the day and is out in a small paddock overnight. Lami ponies dont need to be stabled :p

I "do" my horses as in give them their dinner and top up hay etc. anytime between 6 and 8pm. I dont stick to a strict routine as it depends if the weather allows me to ride after I get home from work and at weekends, sometimes Im not back until later from events etc. Mine dont care less TBH. I think routine is only really important if horses are stabled.

Vizslak

Visit site
My 3 have a different routine to everyone else on yard because I dont work so spend all day with them and I've generally finished and put them to bed, fed etc as everyone else is turning up to fetch in and start mucking out and riding after work. I don't ever worry about it, they thrive on their routine and it means it doesnt alter summer/winter or weekdays/weekends like the other horses on the yard. Just do what works for you and your horse.

Irishcobs

Visit site
The horses at work are started to be put to bed at 4, final feed at 5.
My boy at work is ridden at 5, so is put to bed between 5.30 and 6.
My guys at home are ridden between 5.30/6 and 7 so are put to bed about 7-7.30. They live out so it is only feed and fly spray etc.
Though it is usually earlier on a Sun as I'm not working.

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
My routine if raining/cold is:

8.00pm Bring in from field, hay and feed in stable

10.00pm Whip across the yard and give them a big pile of hay for the night.

As it is sunny/warm:

8.00pm Bring in from field, hay and feed in garden pens

10.00pm Hay for the night

At the moment, because MoM is injured they are both out in the garden pens 24/7 but the feeding routine is the same.

Obviously in the winter it gets dark earlier so I bring them in earlier but they still get their last hay at 10pm.

hadfos

Visit site
While the weather has been so good,they have been coming in at 7pm,which will be the norm through the summer..depends on the ownes with the DIY's though!

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So are everyones horses in at night still then-ours are out 24/7 know unless really flyey/hot in the day...

[/ QUOTE ]
My lad is staying in at night this yr...he is happy with his routine,and the last couple of yrs he has been turned out at night he has injured himself,so i have had a vet bill
crazy.gif
So this yr he will stay up at night,plus on 24/7 turnout he gets HUGE,lol,this way i can monitor his intake
smile.gif

3Beasties

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 at the moment but over winter they get brought in between 8.30 - 9.00pm which is when I get home from work.

glitterfuzz

Visit site
All the horses at our yard come in at night all year round. The horses love their rountine which they have 365 days a year.

They are fed at 7.30, rugs changed and turned out
Bought back in, rugs changed and fed at 4pm - this means they have had their tea and are ready to be ridden by the time their owners arrive after they have finished work. The horses are all really happy as they have the same routine all the time

Your horse is in a good routine and this is more important than times

Annagain

Visit site
He's out 24/7 at the moment. In the winter a friend puts him out at about 7am. I then come up to the yard at about 6.30 bring mine and my friend's in, and either ride/lunge or leave him tied on the yard eating his tea while I muck out etc. I get them in beofre doing my jobs as they are normally the last two out and are getting impatient. If I ride, he has his tea after I've ridden. At weekends it's completely different - get to farm about 8, turn him out and do my jobs (he has to have a roll in the morning or he's unbearable!) ride early (about 9am) and then turn him out. come and bring him back in at about 5ish. In the summer he gets dragged out of the field and ridden (and fed!) when it's convenient for me. I'm a slave to his timetable so much in the winter that I like a bit of a life in the summer! So his routine varies but he's always happy with it. He adapts from summer to winter routine pretty easily, although I think he'd be quite happy out all year if he was allowed to be.

Damnation

Visit site
Winter routine - Out at 8am, in at 5pm. If I'm not riding I will put her to bed at 5.45 after I have mucked out and done hay and feeds. If I am riding I will put her to bed at about 7.45.
Summer routine - In at 11am, ridden at about 5.30ish after work then out for the night at about 6.30.
Tbh don't worry about the routine, if your horse thrives on it and has enough hay and water, it doesn't matter
smile.gif

pocket

Visit site
Ralph's day changes on a daily basis, I work shifts, so he is sometimes in bed with his tea by 5pm when the other horses are fed or sometimes he is finished at 8-9pm, he's had this type of routine all his life (now 12) and doesn't seem to mind.

He goes out at 9:30 and could stay out all night in the summer, but he's a poof so has to come in
crazy.gif

Fransurrey

Visit site
My pony puts himself to bed. There is a shavings bed in the stable, which is open 24/7. Not sure what time he goes in, but without fail, there's a Henry-shaped flat patch the next day. Terribly cute!

Hippona

Visit site
Mine are in at night...out in the mornings at 6.30 all year round, in in winter about 4-5pm, out in summer until about 8pm. I ride when OH's shifts allow the kids to be at home with him...sometimes mornings, usually evenings.

Other people do it differently to me, but its what suits your horse and your other commitments.

UKa

community.webshots.com
I exercise mine in the morning after which she is turned out; bedtime depends on the season and was 4pm during the winter months and is between 6-7 now.