What time do you see your horse on Christmas Day

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ours are at home, so, depending on the weather we stick more or less to their/our normal routine. We did decide when we moved here with them, that the family Christmas dinner would have to be eaten here. Sadly, over the years, the family has got smaller and smaller, so Christmas is a very quiet affair, these days.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Mines on livery at a competition yard but its not really a standard arrangement...
The grooms have the day off so I will go at about 8am and muck out with the YO's (30 between 3 of us lol), ride mine, and then head to mums for dinner which is a good way away so i get let off afternoon duties :)

Follysmum

Visit site
Ours are at home and we will do them the same time. I tend to bring them in earlier than normal ( about 1) then we have dinner at about 3. Pop back to feed and skip out at 6 ish.

eggs

Visit site
Mine are at home so will have some hay and then be turned out about 8.00 am. I'll get the stables all done and then head off down to my sister for lunch. I have arranged for some-one to bring them in at 3 and then I will feed, skip out and give night hay when I get home.

Fiona

Visit site
They are at home with us, so 8am to feed, turn out and muck out, and 4pm to bring in again... and late check at 10pm...

I doubt we will ride.....

Friends coming for drinks, and SIL staying for Christmas, so we will be busy enough I dare say lol..

Five years ago my self harming YB mare cut an artery in the field on Christmas day, so my nerves are always slightly calmer once everyone is in again for the night :)
Fiona

Ouch05

Visit site
They'll be on normal weekend hours so turned out at 8am, mucked out etc, and brought back in some time between 4.30pm and 6pm, depending on weather, plans etc.

Weekday hours are out at 6.30am and in at around 6.30pm but we have found that they are absolutely fine with a couple of hours either way, hence the later turnout and earlier bring-in times at weekends.

This to the letter both weekday and weekend. Nothing changes just because it's Christmas they don't know any different

Lintel

Visit site
When I come off nightshift at 8am :'(
This year anyway...
They are at home now but before at 6am before opening pressies! I did everyone's hays feeds and waters on christmas morning :)

chocolategirl

Visit site
Same time as usual. I’m not one for changing their routine if I can help it. The only difference on Xmas day is they may come in an hour earlier but that’s it really. I have them at home so it’s much easier 😁

Denbob

Visit site
My first Christmas with ponio where I'll be around to see him, will try and drag a few people out on a sparkly Christmas hack but otherwise I think we've got permission (weather dependant) to leave out Christmas eve if we want so beastie will be chilling in the field where he's happiest. My very non-horsey dad is demanding a Christmas pony cuddle so will likely go up with him in the afternoon.

Last edited:

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
My Christmas plans haven’t varied for years. I have my horse at home so breakfast is at the usual time. We have all the family here so I rarely ride as I am chief cook. We have Christmas dinner about 4 or 5pm so horse is in before that and checked and topped up later. It isn't much different to normal.

Surbie

Visit site
It's my first Christmas with a horse! :D I'm on DIY, will be up around 7am to feed, turnout and muck out etc. I've booked assistance for bringing in and a rug change so I have the rest of the day free and I definitely don't question paying double for it.

Boxing Day and all the other days I will be up 2-3x/day as normal.

wiglet

Visit site
Mine is on full livery so I don’t have to go up but, I’ve offered to rug up and turn out for YO because she’s only got one groom working on Christmas Day. While they muck out, I will ride out. Then we’ll have mince pies and mulled wine before I go home. All horses will come in early - around 1pm so YO can have Christmas dinner and family time. All horses checked, skipped out, fed and hay’d at 5:30pm by YO. Last check at 10pm as normal.

tankgirl1

Visit site
I'm on DIY, all yardies share turn out and bring in duties anyway. This Christmas I am on bring in duties, and will also muck out/hay/water a couple of others so their people don't have to come up. This will be reciprocated on other days over the xmas/new year period so we all get a day off

tankgirl1

Visit site
It's my first Christmas with a horse! :D I'm on DIY, will be up around 7am to feed, turnout and muck out etc. I've booked assistance for bringing in and a rug change so I have the rest of the day free and I definitely don't question paying double for it.

Boxing Day and all the other days I will be up 2-3x/day as normal.

Surbie whenever I see your avatar I think it is my mare and get momentarily confused every time lol!

Antw23uk

Visit site
I will walk down as usual in the morning. Gutted there shoes are due off next week so will miss my traditional Xmas morning ride but I'm taking them to work for Xmas downtime between Xmas and NY so no point re shoeing and they wont come home and or be ridden until March time!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
As others have said, Christmas Day is the same as any other day so we'll go up at the usual time....well actually about 8.00 rather than 7.00 so YO can have a little lie in. We'll turn out, muck out & then have Bucks Fizz before we go home. We'll be back up around 2.00 ish to bring in & then again around 5.30 to hay them & bed them down.

All the horses will have various root vegetables & apples & pears threaded onto a rope & hung in their stable as their treat. They really enjoy this 'Kebab' of goodies. Everything else is the same. Boxing day they will be exercised, probably on a hack.

Griffin

Visit site
At the yard we try to turnout over Christmas day and Boxing Day so the yard owner doesn't need to do anymore than water and hay. I usually go up by 10am to pat my mare, give her a carrot and help out where needed with watering and hay. If the weather turns really bad, we bring in.

rara007

Visit site
About 8ish. The groom starts at about 7.30 but a few of us help out to get done quicker. The afternoon girl has the bank holidays off so we’ll get in at about 3 before it gets dark.

Surbie

Visit site
Surbie whenever I see your avatar I think it is my mare and get momentarily confused every time lol!

Same here, and you can't even see my mare's face in my avatar!
View attachment 28127

Obviously we have great taste in horses! :D I'm very envious of the full mane and tail tankgirl - mine has sweetitch so lots of his mane gets rubbed out, and his forelock is, at best, stubby.

I'm really looking forward to a New Year's Day hack out too.