What time do your neds come in in winter?

Gypley

Visit site
As title really.

I put all out at 7am and during summer they are coming in at 7pm.

During winter last year they were out at 7am and in at 6pm due to my work.

This winter I'm hoping to conserve the grazing as they trashed their winter field last year. So I'm going to bring in on my lunch break which I can take at any time. What sort of time is normal for your horses to come in during winter so as to conserve grazing but also not upset my liveries?

TIA :)

3Beasties

Visit site
I think as they are going out early it would be OK to bring them in any time after 1 or 2. Maybe discuss with the liveries and see what they are happy with?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mine are currently out 24/7.
In the depths of winter, when its dark both ends of MY working day, then they will come in, to save me time. I'm able to manage the ground tho as more acreage than Fuzzies :)

They will go out at 6am & stay out till 5.45/6pm on work days.
On non-work days its more likely usually to be 7am out & anytime from 3 to 7pm to come in, depending on what I'm doing and it weather is disgusting or not. If early in, then I'll be back down the yard for check later.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
When mine come in for winter as at the mo they are out 24/7. It will be, turn out at 5.30am and bring in 5pm and weekends when I'm not working I try to get them out for 8am and they come in around 3ish to be ridden

Janovich

Visit site
Winter routine on my yard is out around 8am and we can bring in anytime up to 6.30 - 7pm ish,. Suit me well and fits in with my working hours. He'll come in around 5.30pm ish if/when I'm riding during the weekdays...and a little earlier at the weekend to get out for a hack in the daylight before it's lost.

applecart14

Visit site
For the last ten years my horse was always out at 8am and in for either noon or three pm depending on the weather.

Having moved yards with less grazing he may only be out for two or three hours per day, but this suits me and I suspect him also, now he is older.

Charlie007

Visit site
Out by 6am and in again about 4.30 on weekdays. At weekends, depending on when I'm riding, they might go out slightly later or in slightly earlier to fit a hack in.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine go out at anything between 6am and 7.30am in the week depending on who is putting them out (we have a yard rota) and their working hours and come in between 6 and 7pm - one of them is then normally then ridden (alternate nights) and they have tea and are tucked up ready for bed by 8pm. They'd probably be happier to come in earlier - YO says they all start to congregate in the vicitinty of the gate (but still mooch about grazing) by about 3.30 but I can't get there any earlier due to work. They're normally grazing as I drive up the lane but as soon as they see the Land Rover, they go to stand by the gate.

At weekends they're either turned out by 8am or they're being ridden at 8am and I try to stick to 6ish to get them in so as not to disrupt their routine too much, but it's sometimes a bit earlier if I'm going out. They don't seem to mind coming in early anywhere near as muich as staying in late.

Last edited:

Ceriann

Visit site
Mine only came in for 6 weeks or so last winter (purely due tot eh fact the winter field turned into a bog so put them on spring paddock early) - they prefer to be out (with rugs). If they do come in this winter (will play it by ear but have now have two not three, so have more turnout) then out about 6.30am (before i go to work) and i when i come back from work (anytime between 7and 9pm). They dont get fed wehn brought in and OH gives them hay in the field when he comes home but doesnt like bringing in on his own. My ridden mare can also be reluctant to go in (esp if the weather isnt terrible) so there is never any hanging around the gate at mine!

dibbin

Visit site
Last year mine went out at 6.30 and came in any time between 2 and 4 depending on the weather. They'll probably stay out later this year as my sister's at college rather than school and I'm now on a yard without staff.

PolarSkye

Visit site
He goes out at 8 a.m. . . . in the summer he comes in at about 4'ish . . . in the winter he comes in at about 4'ish . . . complicated eh?

P

tinap

Visit site
Depends on the light at ours. The whole yard come in together, so when it's the shortest days thats usually about 4pm, when they are nearly ready for staying out 24/7 it's about 8pm x

apachediamond

Visit site
unless the weather's really horrible and they're milling round the gates churning it up they're out until 4 ish during winter. Out by 7.30/8am.

Princess Rosie

Visit site
Summer ours are all out 6.30-7.00am and back in around 8ish. Just had to change bring in currently to 7pm as it's gone darker and it gets very dark indeed here. Will be adjusting bringing in times to coincide with when it starts to get dark. Most of the time I find ours all mingling around the gate ready to come in around 6.30pm-ish so I don't think they mind coming in a bit earlier, they all love their comforts. :)

BSL

Visit site
Totally depends on the weather. Usually out 6.30 ish and back in at between 3 and 4 pm. I only live 5 mins away, so sometimes if foul in the morning they go out later. My boys loath bad weather and just churn the gate way waiting to come in.

hannahealasaid

Visit site
Arghh all this talk of winter already!
I tend to turn out 8ish then bring in by 4 at the latest. Often I try to nip over in my lunch break to grab in because I find that my horse gets pretty hungry, bored and cold standing around in the field. He seems to enjoy the first couple of hours but then is keen to be in :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I split the horses into day and night. They are out in an all weather turnout area when the weather is wet and the fields are muddy. The day time horses go out at 8.30 am and come in at 3.30 pm. The night time horses then go out around 4 pm after I have poo picked the turn out and refilled the hay huts and water troughs. They come in at around 7.30 - 8 am for their breakfast whilst I poo pick again and replenish the hay/water for the day horses.

pinkypug1

Visit site
My girl will be out 24/7. I'm lucky she is out on great land with a nice mixed herd. she's only 3 so not in work as she is having a long break since being backed in July. Next year when she will be in regular work she will be stabled at night from November until March and out during the day for 8-10 hours.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
My pony is out at around 8 and then back in between 12 and 2, my horse is out around 730 and brought in around 330 - 4ish. If it's horrendous weather then they come in early!