What to do about tack storage

charlotte0916

Visit site
I’m currently looking at two options for tack storage and want to be sure I haven’t missed something through rookie error.

It will house my saddle/bridle/etc. which whilst not not the most expensive are worth a reasonable amount and I’d prefer not to have stolen! The locker will be stored in a barn, about 30 ft from the YO house and it’s down a 1/4 mile private driveway but does have a footpath near the yard.

Option a)
One of the Ifor Williams tack lockers offered by a friend for minimal cash. I’d put a heavy paving stone in the bottom to make it more immovable, remove the wheels and add a lock.

Option b)
A large animate lockable metal tack locker which has come up nearby for £150.

Which would you choose? I’ve always had my tack in a lockable tack room so not sure how risk averse to be?

Last edited:

AFB

Visit site
Both would be easily broken in to by a determined thief so I'd go with whichever is more practical for your needs.

If security was a real concern in that situation I think I'd ferry saddle back & forth and just leave the rest in the locker.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
out of the 2, i'd choose the animate locker because IIRC the ifor tack packs are quite small inside and so you'd get more useable space. I used to have a similar locker and mine was bolted to the floor and inside a shared tackroom which my insurers accepted . but in your shoes I agree I'd take saddle home and only leave other stuff there. I keep my saddles at home despite having my own tackroom at the yard as I'm not happy that it's secure enough.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I would steer clear of the IW tack pack, its small its not remotely secure...its made of plastic, you could open it in 30 seconds with a crowbar, I dont know Animate Tack Lockers, but I would suspect it is more robust. If you can get them, ex-MoD secure cabinets are really good they are solid and designed to resist forced entry. They will have removed the high security lock but you can easily fit something else, try looking on ebay or government surplus sites. I disposed of about 10 a couple of years ago during the course of a ptroject so they do come up.

Shoei

Visit site
I have an IW but I use it to store all my other paraphernalia for away show. I would echo, that they aren't very secure and I can't get my dressage saddle in it!

charlotte0916

Visit site
That’s super helpful, thank you all! I haven’t seen one of the IFW tack lockers in person so wasn’t sure if they were flimsy or doable. I think the metal locker will be the way to go - unfortunately the one I was looking at has been snapped up so would be great full if anyone can point me towards any others they know of for <£200!

Melody Grey

Visit site
That’s super helpful, thank you all! I haven’t seen one of the IFW tack lockers in person so wasn’t sure if they were flimsy or doable. I think the metal locker will be the way to go - unfortunately the one I was looking at has been snapped up so would be great full if anyone can point me towards any others they know of for <£200!
I use a metal coal bunker which I’ve added locks to. It’s not going to stop a determined thief but would definitely slow them down/ put them off. Mine keeps everything clean and keeps vermin away which is my main Reason for using it and nothing goes walkabout!
Mine is a little flimsy but you might be able to get heavier duty ones? I know people who use them as feed bins too.

Ratface

Visit site
I always take my tack home. It's nothing particularly special, but to replace would be costly.
Home is fairly secure. What with nosy neighbours, dodgy gang planks, lurching pontoons, dogs grinning nastily at "unknowns" - there have to be easier places . . .