What to do with this horse?

Bens_Mum

Visit site
Tonight seems to have sealed it. Behavior has got worse and worse this week presumably because hes not working causing a lot of issues coming in and out. Crazy to bring in tonight and very stressed in the box. Numerous poo's walking up and down and just doesn't look right at all. Sadly heart breaking as it is he's going to have to be PTS. There is no chance of him being rested let alone x-rayed in this state. Hes not wanting to eat his hay either. Obviously a lot more going on. Its very sad but I owe it to him not to pass him on. Hes had a good five months retirement until the last month or so he was loving life and he will be much missed. Thank you to everyone for the advice its much appreciated it really is and the kind words.

Nappy Croc

Visit site
Your horse, your money, your choice. I just hope some people reading this will think twice about taking on an Ex-racer if they don't want to deal with KS and poor feet. Horses (and humans!) are usually totally different out of spinal pain than in it.

Equi

Visit site
Your horse, your money, your choice. I just hope some people reading this will think twice about taking on an Ex-racer if they don't want to deal with KS and poor feet. Horses (and humans!) are usually totally different out of spinal pain than in it.
And what do you propose? Surgery and months maybe years of rehab and box rest to stress him out more?

Not every horse can be rehabilitated. It's not the fault of the poor people who have to make these heartbreaking decisions, if you want to blame someone blame those who are riding 2yo horses into the ground on buckets full of oats.

Nappy Croc

Visit site
I propose survey radiographs to establish what is indicated, be that surgery, medical management or something different totally. Then, should it be established that surgery is the only option an informed descision can be made.

I blame the breeders and whole industry actually, many of these horses have KS before they're even broken. The breeders won't change until the industry changes and you can't get away from the fact fast horses are fast and breed fast horses that makes the money!

Last edited:

Melody Grey

Visit site
Tonight seems to have sealed it. Behavior has got worse and worse this week presumably because hes not working causing a lot of issues coming in and out. Crazy to bring in tonight and very stressed in the box. Numerous poo's walking up and down and just doesn't look right at all. Sadly heart breaking as it is he's going to have to be PTS. There is no chance of him being rested let alone x-rayed in this state. Hes not wanting to eat his hay either. Obviously a lot more going on. Its very sad but I owe it to him not to pass him on. Hes had a good five months retirement until the last month or so he was loving life and he will be much missed. Thank you to everyone for the advice its much appreciated it really is and the kind words.

In your shoes, I'd honestly PTS and that's not a comment I make lightly! I've been there myself with KS, ulcers, HGA etc with an ex racer (and she was a real sweetie). The treatment maxed out my insurance and probably ate up about £3k of my own money too over a couple of years. My mare bounced back from the full KS surgery and I did a lot of rehab, only to find that there were a multitude of other issues which we could never isolate or resolve. I'd never do it again. At the time, it felt like to PTS was to quit, but it absolutely exhausted me and was totally necessary for my own sanity. In your position, I'd call it a day now. The whole thing is stressful enough on you without the horse being less than co-operative as well xx

be positive

Visit site

And what do you propose? Surgery and months maybe years of rehab and box rest to stress him out more?

Not every horse can be rehabilitated. It's not the fault of the poor people who have to make these heartbreaking decisions, if you want to blame someone blame those who are riding 2yo horses into the ground on buckets full of oats.

I think Nappy Croc makes a fair point maybe a thread like this will make one or two people think twice before taking on an exracehorse because it seems like a nice thing to do or a way to get a very cheap horse, they need to go in with their eyes open just as they would buying any horse whether it raced as a 2 year old or is sitting in a field supposedly unbroken at 5, if it is cheap there may well be a good reason, the retraining of racehorses is great in theory but not all will end up better off.

The horse the OP has was a pointer so unlikely to have been racing at 2 full of oats, he is more likely to have had a relatively normal start, I think he will be best pts as he sounds a very unhappy horse but there is no point in blaming anyone for where he is now, not every exracehorse is a wreck, there are plenty of non tb's that don't live long lives due to injury or other conditions that cannot be fixed.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think Nappy Croc makes an excellent point too, and ditto the horse was pointing not in full racing.

OP have you spoken to previous owner/trainer about his current behaviour? The trouble is there are a whole load of assumptions being made about what the problem is and the question has to be asked, given that KS doesn't usually come on rapidly (though may deteriorate so) why was he so lovely only 5 months ago having now been in work a month?

I am not particularly keen on KS surgery but would want to know that is the issue rather than anything else before PTS. It also seems a bit odd to get an ex racer and not insure it which I assume from the post, I think Michen's horse at the very least suggested it was a good idea with the issues he had. I don't understand where the suggestion he couldn't be xrayed in this state comes from - they do sedate for that....

Bens_Mum

Visit site
The whole situation is very sad and the decision far from taken lightly. I wasn't wanting to open up a debate on the rights and wrongs simply to thank those who took the time to give their opinions.

The horse was seen by a vet and physio on purchase and has been far from cheap way before all of this in terms of new saddle fitted, physio sessions and money spent on lessons twice a week. I have had horses all my life and worked with them I was quite clear what I thought I was taking on the behaviour isn't the key issue here at all but it's not helpful in terms of the full picture and how he's coping now he's not in work.

The original trainer denies the horse ever had any issues of any sort. He sold him unseen to a woman who had him a couple of weeks then passed him on to someone who did the same then I have had him ever since.

When I bought him he was extremely poor and I contacted the trainer to check his routine, normal feeding etc. A lot of time has gone in to getting him looking good and feeling well - weight and condition wise. When the bad behaviour started again I contacted the trainer who said he couldn't help me.

Nothing has been done at speed and all training has been done with the help and support of a qualified instructor. The horse has only been worked in walk and trot in the school the aim was to build top line as per the recommendation of the professionals involved.

Both vet and physio are saying that the horse has issues from what they initially diagnosed as a calcified lump due to the racing saddle. They are saying (after speaking to one another) as he has started to work differently this has caused it to destabilise. The physio since I contacted her again has said he's lame behind and she feels we must do lameness work up on both hinds too and nerve blocks without this she and now vet are saying X-rays aren't giving the full picture. Her attitude is that you can manage the horse with regular treatment and keep it useful hence my being rather shocked to hear that she felt he was unsound when I called her. She is also convinced there are ulcers too.

Obviously the horse could be sedated but the point I'm making is his distress is such that he won't stand when last week he would.

The vet was very straight with me and we have had three conversations. She feels that the surgery is the most lightly outcome and the full work up is now looking like £500 + sedation to confirm that.

Please don't think that I don't care of course I do I'm sure many would do different but I don't feel that he has the quality of life he deserves and having him stressed out sedated and put through nerve blocks won't change anything it would only be for me.

I thought I had done everything right to ensure I had a horse that was going to do the job and took care I thought to make sure he was comfortable. I feel terrible this is where we are but it is.

I didn't insure him no but I'm pretty sure that they are unlikely to pay out for a pre existing condition which it would appear this stems from. It's not that I can't afford to do this I just feel like sadly there isn't much purpose in it.

I could write about all we tried and everything that has happened all day but I hope this answers some of the questions before.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't think anyone on this thread has been suggesting life at all cost?

It is of course as stated before entirely up to the OP whether she wants to pay out up to a certain amount or not but a £500 vets bill while not insignificant is also certainly not massive compared to a lot and probably not to be unexpected with many horses, let alone and ex racer. However of course if that doesn't give the answers then the costs could increased- hence my first post on this thread.

I think I am still most gobsmacked at the physio saying nothing on treating but that on being questioned now saying the horse is defnitely lame :eek3: