What to do...

Connemara24

Visit site
My vet wouldn’t prescribe gastroguard or sucralfate without scoping first unless the horse had previous ulcer history. He said he needed to know he exactly what he needed to treat.
Luckily In my circumstances my vets will. But I understand your vets thinking completely.

Connemara24

Visit site
We treated a horse of mine for ulcers without scoping, although the vets did try to scope him, but he put someone in an ambulance when he came down on their head. He was deemed too dangerous to continue to try and scope, but they agreed to treat him based on his symptoms.
We didn’t call him the hooligan for nothing! :oops:

That story did make me smile I'm afraid to say, I hope he was okay and the person injured.
Thanks

Connemara24

Visit site
Another quick question, I've never treated a horse for ulcers before. Do I need to withhold food from him for 30mins - 1hr before giving him the omeprazole

Connemara24

Visit site
I was mortified! The person had a seizure and an injury to their jaw, but I believe made a full recovery. I later found out they had been air ambulanced to hospital.
Picking him up a couple of days felt like the walk of shame.

Oh dear that's terrible I didn't think it was that bad otherwise I wouldn't of smiled when I read it?.
I'm sure they wouldn't of blamed you though.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
The one I had scoped and treated for ulcers last year we timed for his hay to run out about 4 hours before being given omeprazole paste and then sucralfate was given 20 minutes later. He was allowed his food after a further 10 minutes. He had sucralfate again in the evening but was not starved for that. He had this regime for 28 days. As there was no improvement to the main problem/cause of the ulcers he was pts.

Connemara24

Visit site
The one I had scoped and treated for ulcers last year we timed for his hay to run out about 4 hours before being given omeprazole paste and then sucralfate was given 20 minutes later. He was allowed his food after a further 10 minutes. He had sucralfate again in the evening but was not starved for that. He had this regime for 28 days. As there was no improvement to the main problem/cause of the ulcers he was pts.

Thank you for the reply that's very helpful.
I'm so sorry about your boy it's never easy.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Thank you. I'll give him a week on gastrogard and see then I'll scope.
He is girthy, very grumpy when being brushed touched rugged, poor performance, his coat isn't in the best shape but it's not dreadful.
He doesn't have cushings.
Usually an improvement isn't expected until after 4 weeks on GG.

Connemara24

Visit site
UPDATE!
He has been on gastrogard since Saturday. So not a week but did his girth up today to see if had improved because he has been a bit less grumpy.
I'm not riding him at the moment. And he didn't put his ears back once or even move I'm a very happy that he seems to be improving!!

Ashleigh02

Visit site
I know im a little late to the party and you have probably made the decision but my lad started getting really moody while tacking up and some friends suggested ulcers. I was a little sceptical of spending money on tests when he only had one symptom so i rang the vet and asked them. He came to check him out and told me we were just going to treat him as if it was confirmed he had them since he was 17 and a thoroughbred and it was most likely that he did have them so i put him on this liquid medication smelt like chalk powder. I just brought it in a tack shop after he recommended it. After that bottle was used he was better so i put him on a pro biotic, seaweed and a gut balancer powder and hes 100 percent better now and its been 6 months

SO1

Visit site
My pony was scoped twice a day for 6 days and didn't colic.

Bit of long and expensive experience but after a really bad colic we decided to get him scoped. His stomach was still full and it turned out he had a gastic impaction that was in an unusual place.

He went into the clinic and it took 5 days of starving and tubing with water and coke to clear the blockage. He was scoped twice a day for 6 days and didn't colic once.

His colic was caused by the impaction which would not have been picked up on if we had not scoped as it was in a place that could not be felt on a rectal.

He does have an ulcer but the vets believe this was due to the impaction rather than the cause of the colic.