What transport do you have?

what transport do you have?

• Total voters

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I bought a 7.5 ton lorry with part of my pension when I retired from teaching. Then I bought 2 youngsters to bring home in it!

I don't like trailers as transport and hate driving with one on the car.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I actually have both a 7.5 ton lorry and a trailer. Sometimes it is more convenient to take the trailer (roads in Ireland can be really narrow....), but for travelling in style you can't beat the lorry (even if it is 20 years old and progresses at a stately 50 mph at top lick).

Spring Feather

Visit site
I have a large American all-aluminum trailer. It holds 5-6 horses tied or I can use the box stalls which can hold 2 mares and foals travelled loose. I did have a big aluminum 3 horse slant trailer with living but it wasn't suitable for travelling mares and foals so useless for the majority of trailering I do.

sychnant

Visit site
5 ton lorry. Fab, easy to drive especially round our twisty mountains!

Have had various trailers but feel much safer with a lorry. Had a 7.5 ton but it was just too big round here. Little 5 ton has a higher payload anyway haha!

maisie06

Visit site
Trailer, only go to the odd local dressage where a friend competes my horses, it's main use is for boxing up for decent hacking, couldn't get a lorry to some of the hidey hole places I have found to park!! I can neither afford nor justify the purchase of a lorry, but I'm happy to tow, even though I am generally a crap driver!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
3.5t van
3.5t lorry

What is the difference?

The lorry is the coachbuilt on the 3.5 chassis, the van is just that - one thats still got the same body & been altered to fit horses in.
Suppose I could have split others too or put these together, and I could have allowed multi-voting too - hindsight is a good thing tho Rog :wink3:

Beausmate

Visit site
Antique (1979-it's a classic :p) trailer. Would love a lorry, but parking and finances don't allow. Not sure that I'd use it enough to justify it, but it would be nice to have the option and I've never liked towing.

FellOutOfFavour

Visit site
We have a 5.5T lorry. A trailer would be uneconomical for us as we have a long commute so prefer to run a small, fuel-efficient car. The 5.5T lorry is only about the same size as most 3.5T lorries so is great on our narrow, twisty country lanes. Tow major advantages of the 5.5T when compared to the 3.5T is that it has a huge payload for a 2 horse lorry and we found we could get a much better lorry for our money when buying it as there is less demand for them than for 3.5T ones.

Copperpot

Visit site
Had a 7.5t lorry but sold it and got a new trailer and a L200. Hated towing and hated having a trailer. So sold those and now have a 6t lorry ☺️

Talyn

Visit site
I have a trailer - an Ifor Willaims 506. Would love a little 3.5t box but it wouldn't have enough payload.

abracadabra

Visit site
Trailer currently. Quite happy with it, no problems or worries with towing it, but the Mr has been talking about renewing his HGV and us getting something that will carry 4+ and kit + small living.
He insisted a trailer was fine for our needs at one time, but now he's come to a few overnighters with me he's changed his tune and wants something with a bed and kettle :lol: Don't like to tell him 'told you so'.
I wouldn't bother with a 3.5 as it's not really a trade up for me, the trailers ok till we get something with a bigger payload.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have a trailer pulled with a defender for local jaunts and hire a box if I need to travel over an hour - best of both worlds and seeing I use a lorry about 3 times a year cheaper than lorry maintanence

SuperH

Visit site
Trailer. Love it, ponies love it and suits our needs as my husband is already running a towing vehicle so I can just borrow that when I like (as long as it isn't cattle market day!).

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I, (well my Father drives it for me, I'm only 13 haha!) have a big 7.5 tone lorry. I love it so much, (don't really like the trailer) and the ponies and horses LOVE the lorry very much.

It can take up to 4 horses and 5 ponies. Plus it's great and roomy when there's only one or two ponies or horses in it, great for tacking up! And the living area is so nice and warm in the winter when you're changing after a hunt or getting ready for an event. Oh and the toilet, I mustn't forget that, it's so nice having a bathroom to go to, and not a bare bush! :'P We also have an IforWilliams, but it's not used that often, the lorry is used almost every week, sometimes three times a week in the summer holidays, but the ponies don't like the trailer, especially my mare Sunny.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I actually have both a 7.5 ton lorry and a trailer. Sometimes it is more convenient to take the trailer (roads in Ireland can be really narrow....), but for travelling in style you can't beat the lorry (even if it is 20 years old and progresses at a stately 50 mph at top lick).

Our HUGE lorry is 25 years old, and you're VERY luck to get 40 miles an hour, never mind 50, but it usually has a full load so we don't go fast, but the inside is very new. It's just the outside that looks a little....Shall we say scratched?...

Kat

Visit site
Pick up and bateson deauville trailer. Love it while we are going forwards. ......... it is an absolute ba***rd to reverse!