What tried and trusted things do you always go back to?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Just a musing really, perhaps a pointless post?? But was talking about this with a friend the other day....... the way we all seem to have our "favourite things" which we personally deem absolutely essential.

For instance: when I was a kid and in Pony Club (OK so a good while ago...... :) ) I had a pair of plaited nylon reins. Those reins saw me through my first pony, on to my first horse, and on to the horse after that!! I rode in them through summers, winters, hunting, competing, the whole lot! And I never rode in anything else; nothing else fitted the bill for me. Now........ oh sooohh many years on, I'm still using plaited nylon reins. What an old dinosaur!

Then there's bits: of course, in my day, there were basically a very limited selection of bits. Most ponies/horses back then were fitted in a jointed snaffle, end of. If your pony was very fizzy you'd go for a Pelham or a Kimblewick. Most "horses" proper were in a double bridle, for everything from hacking to hunting & competing. I know there are still some people who just put a snaffle in their horses' mouths, and that's it!!

Then there's "remedies". Everyone has their favourite: mine again is old-fashioned, in that I tend to use Green Oils whenever there's a problem. That's what I used to do, that's what I do now.

And some of us are still using old-fangled saddle soap!

Anyone else??

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I like Polypads, good enough for Mary King, good enough for me! I have used them for years and years on all sorts of ponies and horses. They make good dog beds when they get a bit frayed around the edges!
I always buy Dermolene shampoo, saddle soap in a bar, Neatsfoot oil, Red Rockies.

Black and navy polypads in use everyday, easy to wash and use. I cannot be doing with all the matchy matchy lime green and worse that get stuck on horse, and the cost of said vomit coloured stuff is shocking.

Leather 3 fold or Atherstone girths, none of the plastic stuff in my tack room, cleaned with bar soap.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I like to try new stuff and I’m not wedded to anything if I can find something that does a better job. Why stay in the dark ages?

Having said that there are things that I haven’t personally yet found a better alternative so I buy them again and again when they need replacing although I’ve never replaced a Rambo after 15 years of use.

Another vote for Canter mane and tail
Sudocreme
Sheep Foot rot spray
Rambo rugs
Ariat boots (just not Windermeres)
Micronised linseed
Rubber feed bowls
Shires fully adjustable headcollars
Woof club boots although they’re thinner than they used to be.
Roeckl Chester’s gloves

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Plain black/brown synthetic girths. Dirty? Bung 'em in the wash, saves time on the tack cleaning :D
Udder cream, iodine and stockholm tar. For me and the horse!

gryff

Visit site
My "jelly" rubber curry comb to deal with moulting coats. I've had furminators, equigroomers, grooming blocks, etc, but always come back to this.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Old-fashioned rope halter, everything responds to being led in a halter, rather than a headcollar
Tea-tree oil spray, sorts out just about any minor skin/foot problem and repels flies at the same time.

I used to like dermobion too but have recently had Isoderm for the dog's skin and that seems pretty good too, - steroid and anti-fungal