What weight rug are yours in?

horsehh

Visit site
And are they fully clipped or hairy?

My 14.2 fully clipped connie is out in a 300g or 350g half neck at the min. He was clipped last week and previously was a hairy beast! Could have stuffed a mattress with all the hair. He was in a 100g lw turnout then. He feels warm under it but not hot. Not sure if i should add a 100g liner yet or wait for temp to drop. Don't like over rugging but other livery is totally opposite and keeps asking 'isn't he COLD!?'

Hmm

Greylegs

Visit site
The hairy highland is clipped in a chaser so still got most of his (polar bear like) coat over the upper part of his body. Out on all weathers in a light weight turnout with standard neck. In at night in a 250 gm rug. He's never cold but then it's not freezing at the moment. I won't be changing this until/unless it is consistently below zero overnight

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Clipped tb is in heavy
Clipped tank is in a medium
Soon to be clipped appy is in medium
Retired wb is in 100g fill with fat and fur.
Old mare is furry but as of last night when she got colic from getting cold (doesn't t cope with sudden temp changes and we had a big drop yesterday) is now in a heavy and toasty warm

Auslander

Visit site
And are they fully clipped or hairy?

My 14.2 fully clipped connie is out in a 300g or 350g half neck at the min. He was clipped last week and previously was a hairy beast! Could have stuffed a mattress with all the hair. He was in a 100g lw turnout then. He feels warm under it but not hot. Not sure if i should add a 100g liner yet or wait for temp to drop. Don't like over rugging but other livery is totally opposite and keeps asking 'isn't he COLD!?'

Hmm

It's really not cold at the moment - I'd seriously hold off adding more rugs, especially if he feels warm as he is! Seems to be a an obsession these days with wanting horses to feel baking hot under their rugs, but this really isn't healthy for them. Warm to the touch is fine.
350g is pretty heavy for this sort of temp. If you start adding more now, by the time it gets to -5, he'll be in 6 rugs and unable to move!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Unclipped WB X TB is unrugged and fully clipped cob (but coat growing back now )is in a rainsheet during the day and unrugged at night when stabled. Cob only wears the rainsheet as the field is very muddy and he's ridden daily.

Its not cold yet.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I have a fully clipped ISH in a 400g HW, bought it a size bigger that normal to fit another rug underneath when it gets colder. Also have a hunter clipped pony in a no fill combo with 300g combo on top, the extra layer makes a lot of difference ! The Connemara pony has a grown out hunter clip, and is in a 100g lightweight combo with a 200g MW on top, when clipped he will be in a 400g combo
I have a hairy horse in a 350g HW -hunter clipped and grown out as not in much work now. He's old and he will stay in that rug all winter, he will just adapt as it gets colder and he gets hairier !

They all live out unless its really horrendous weather (they are out tonight in the wind and rain though!) I just rug according to how warm they are, I try not to over-rug but I will never have a horse cold and shivering.

TwyfordM

Visit site
M/w or no fill during the day, only put the neck on if its raining/wet.
250g at night, she's quite tucked up at the mo and i think her liver is flaring up again so she's feeling the cold. She's not clipped but not really grown much of a coat this year despite me holding off rugging as long as possible :(
All after effects of the health problems earlier in the year and moving her to a new yard a few months back i think.
She only wore her m/w for a few days last year but she was a teddy bear then!

delaneys

Visit site
2 tbs half clipped ( trace!)
Out in day in 450g premier equine turnouts
At night heavy stables with neck covers, med stable no neck and a thermatex
Un clipped box rest tb, summer sheet and med combo
Fully clipped heavy weight cob in a medium with no neck

DW Team

Visit site
My big ID full clip but only in summer sheet and med weight
TBxID in rain sheet out and fleece in but some nights nothing as she is very hot
Heinz 57 in rain sheet out and summer sheet or nothing

MileAMinute

Visit site
My boy is blanket clipped (although it's growing out fast, damn mild weather!) and is in a fleece with a no neck rainsheet over the top.
He did have a 100gm which would have been ideal, but after mere hours after wearing it it is now completely trashed....

TandD

Visit site
3x clipped tb x is in heavy weight turnout and a masta quilt stable rug (about medium weight) in during night, out as much as he wants during day

Very light work mare with no clip is in heavy weight masta turnout, with cotton sheet for those colder days...... I didn't think she would be needing a heavy weight yet as she normally runs quite warm but for some reason is feeling the cold this year! Same routine as above.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
ISH hunter clipped, out all day but with shelter, in at night absolutely boiling in a 300g rug, I considered putting her 250g back on but held off for now as it covers her bum and belly better (the 300g) and so her coat grows back slower. I certainly wouldn't want her any warmer. She's not sweating, so ok. Hate them too "toasty" though.

ISH no2 high trace clipped, again in 300g rug and quite happy (he has a quarter warmblood and is a lot softer than the other ISH!)

NinjaPony

Visit site
Fully clipped welsh a- 450g PE combo in the day, 450g combo and fleece overnight
Fully clipped Connemara- 400g combo and fleece in the day, 450g combo overnight.

diamantejumper

Visit site
I have a NF and a WSP and they are both fully clipped and just have their legs unclipped. They wear Horseware Vari-Layers during the day and night and sometimes they wear Premier Equine under rugs underneath :) They're both ''just right'' with warmth.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
One blanket clipped welsh x cob with a blanket clip, he has 300g on, a lw stable underneath a 200g mw because i only have a 400g combo otherwise. He's nice and warm in this but I wouldn't want him any warmer!

horsehh

Visit site
It's really not cold at the moment - I'd seriously hold off adding more rugs, especially if he feels warm as he is! Seems to be a an obsession these days with wanting horses to feel baking hot under their rugs, but this really isn't healthy for them. Warm to the touch is fine.
350g is pretty heavy for this sort of temp. If you start adding more now, by the time it gets to -5, he'll be in 6 rugs and unable to move!

Ah you've reassured me! I thought I was going mad, I am still mucking out in a t-shirt but this other livery is asking me daily if I'm going to add more rugs!? She's the lady with a hairy pony in a hw rug with neck and under rug, seriously!

celia

Visit site
Two cobs and two natives all still naked. Thoroughbred wearing a 40g rug during the day if wet and/or windy, naked if sunny and naked when in at night. All unclipped.

You have to go with the individual horse - my thoroughbred is a fairly warm type but I know others that do seem to feel the cold more - but I do think there is a tendency to over-rug now. IMO, if a horse feels 'toasty' under their rug then they're probably too warm!

starryeyed

Visit site
My fully clipped mare has been in a 200g combo until this week when i upped it to a 300g as she was dropping weight quickly. I have had a few days off this week so have been monitoring her and she hasn't been too hot in it, which I was worried about as it's not below freezing yet and that's usually when I start to pile on rugs. If the sun ever makes an appearance then I will put her back in 200g as I much prefer them to be a bit cold than too hot.
Our other fully clipped TB x is in 200g combo and fine, the oldie is unclipped and in a lightweight standard neck and plenty warm enough in that.

Moomin1

Visit site
12 year old CB type mare with hunter clip (now growing out) has had no more than a fleece with rain sheet on in the day, fleece at night. Ad lib hay to keep her warm! :)

Alexart

Visit site
2 friesians and an old cob are all really fat so still naked and are on just grass and will remain so even if we have 50ft snow drifts and it drops to -30!!:D, the 2 TB's are in rain sheets as they also could do with loosing some flab before spring!!:rolleyes:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine is hunter clipped (done again at the weekend so it's a fresh clip) and was out in a 200g TO but when I got there tonight, he was absolutely baking underneath it. He is now in a 75g, stabled overnight and out during the day. Although the weather is grotty, it is still about 10C here. If he was cold I'd put more on but he isn't, he is boiling in a heavier rug.

Casey76

Visit site
Girlie in work has a blanket clip, and is in a 100g rug with neck.

Youngster not in work is a hairy yak, and not rugged at all, unless it is wet and windy, then he has a no fill rain sheet on.

Currently it is about 2°C during the day and about -5°C at night - however our winters often hit -20 during the day, so keen to hold onto the heavyweights until then!

LD&S

Visit site
All unclipped all out 24/7 just natural shelter and a little bit of overhang.
Arab in a 300 no neck
Arab x 150gm quilt and approx 150 rug with half neck
Ish naked