What weight rugs are yours wearing?

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
So I've seen a few posts on facebook asking about rugging weights during this cold snap, and answers varying from a hunter clipped (not yet grown out), horse outside unrugged, to a clipped horse inside wearing 950g consisting of 4 rugs, plus a snuggy hood and stable wraps. Mine are recently fine hunter clipped (half face and legs on) wearing a 50g standard neck stable rug with a 300g combo on top , only had the 50g sheet put on tonight as it's dropping to -7, so that will be -10 out in the countryside.

Just wondering really as I like to see how other horses cope in different routines and parts of the country! (but four rugs is nuts IMO, and leaving a fully clipped horse, when the leg lines are clearly visible without protection is awful in these conditions IMO! )

meesha

Visit site
Hunter clipped in 200g full neck, has shelter at all times, unclipped is in 100 g no neck, both happy. Clipped one was last clipped couple months ago and is V well covered, has been in no fill rug down to 3 degrees

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Ish x wb is in a 450g (unclipped but doesn't grow much coat and is a wuss).
TB X ID is in a 300g (was clipped but grew out. Has cushings and always was a naturally hot horse).
Both horses have their top doors shut if it goes below zero, we live in a very exposed spot in the Pennines. Both out in the day, in by night, same (single) rugs (turnout).

Last edited:

MouseInLux

Visit site
I have a very thin skinned warm blood, not clipped in a 200g. Currently stabled all day due to the horrible ground on the turnout and a fully clipped native type pony in a 300g (I think, it’s leftover from my old Horse...). Both are as happy as can be in the -13 temps we’are having.

Mrs B

Visit site
OK, well I live on the south coast, in Devon so the climate is usually kind.

My 15.1 mongrel (possible quarter horse cross?) has recently been hunter clipped (having been trace clipped before) and is out during the day in a 50g, in at night with a 100g but he has access to pretty much ad lib haylage which keeps his engine running. He is always toasty and looks spot on.

In the last couple of days, I have added a 100g liner to his turnout and a 200g to his night rug. These will be back in their bags asap!

I always try to remember this:

I am cold.

He is a horse.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Clipped out Welsh in 400g for the first time tonight. Trace clipped WB in 350g. The damn snow is blowing into WBs stable (old stone barn with lots of Windows) :D

Herefordshire... Was -6 plus windchill when I left at 5pm ;)

rara007

Visit site
My 3 ponies- The fully clipped one is in 300 with neck, the blanket and unclipped ones are in 250 and 200. Rest of the crew mainly unrugged with the blanket clipped cob in 100g with neck.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So I've seen a few posts on facebook asking about rugging weights during this cold snap, and answers varying from a hunter clipped (not yet grown out), horse outside unrugged, to a clipped horse inside wearing 950g consisting of 4 rugs, plus a snuggy hood and stable wraps. Mine are recently fine hunter clipped (half face and legs on) wearing a 50g standard neck stable rug with a 300g combo on top , only had the 50g sheet put on tonight as it's dropping to -7, so that will be -10 out in the countryside.

Just wondering really as I like to see how other horses cope in different routines and parts of the country! (but four rugs is nuts IMO, and leaving a fully clipped horse, when the leg lines are clearly visible without protection is awful in these conditions IMO! )

I refuse to put more than two rugs due to the weight of more than two rugs on them apart from the hassle they are heavy wearing 2 + rugs for the poor horse so I have different weights and achieve the cosiest warmth with a 450 grm rug with 200 grm under rug so 650 grm in 2 rugs. At the moment they are in the 350 turnout rug with 200grm underrug. They are nice and cosy

welsh pony a wuss is in 350 + 200 unclipped
qh 350 unclipped
Id 350+200 blanket clip

all stabled

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Fully clipped, fit and fairly slim in a 100g + 300g combo over

Fat and hairy mare out naked
Hairy 2yo in barn naked

JJS

Visit site
Mine live out in the Yorkshire countryside all year round, with no shelter available in their fields. All are unclipped and three out of the four are usually unrugged, but in light of the heavy snowfall and minus temperatures, I've made sure they're wrapped up warm.

24 year old Section B is wearing 300 grams, as he does feel the cold and is a very precious old boy, so we don't take any risks where he's concerned.

Nine year old ISH type is a naturally hot horse, so he's wearing 100 grams. My nine month old Gypsy Cob x D foal is in the same.

My five year old Gypsy Cob mare ends up looking miserable if she's chilly, so she's in a 200 gram. I might have been stricter if her 100 gram wasn't in need of replacing, but seeing as it is, I decided to let her have her home comforts and make her happy.

Shooting Star

Visit site
My normally hot ISH that lives out and has a bib clip was shivering tonight in -4 degrees and a wind. Was wearing a 200g combo and now has a second one on top taking it to 420g.

SEL

Visit site
My Ardennes is in a stable on top of a hill facing due East & has told me clearly that he wants his rug on! 100g is the only one I had that fits him, so that's what he has. Bitterly cold on that hill.

The other one has a slightly more sheltered stable but is wrapped up warm for her muscles. She's got a brand new 400g on tonight but it felt a little thin so I'm hoping they've sold me the right one.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Unclipped (because he barely grows a winter coat) 23yr old WB in a 400g Rambo with neck. 33yr old Shetland with growing out neck and chest clip 200g turn-out.

We are southern softies so this weather is pretty much the coldest we’ve experienced down this neck of the woods -5C today with a bitter wind.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
unclipped Exmoor and unclipped Fell, 8 and 9yo. necked.

attachment.php

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
My tb is in 350g (thickest i have) and put an extra stable rug (100g tops) under yesterday as he felt a little cold. Id x tb is in 400g. Shettie is naked. Was -9 this morning, -6 when i left this afternoon and not much warmer in between. All water containers frozen solid and poo and bedding in stables too!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
17yo chaser clipped out 24/7 With field shelter in a graduated amigo 400g across the back but not as thick lower down and a no fill neck. Pony out with him in a 200g no neck.

27yo trace clipped out in day in a hw Rambo with neck, in at night with necked under duvet and 200g rug.

None of them wanted to come over for tea today in a half blizzard at -5, I had to walk out to bring in the stables two, they've clearly decided it's spring and they should be out!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Minus ten, in a barn and sometimes out, their choice. Two Shetland minis in nothing. One thin coated three year old in a no fill. One eight year old cob, bib and belly clip, in a no fill. All quite happy.

Boulty

Visit site
My rather wussy trace clipped Welsh D was out yesterday / last night in a 300g rug. This morning he was cold and shivering despite access to haylage, a few options for shelter and lots of space to run about should he wish. I didn't have anything of quite the weight I wanted down at the yard so he's now got a fleece, a 50 t/o and the original 300g combo on. In an ideal world I'd have 2 rugs rather than 3 on him but was worried he'd still be too cold with just the extra 50g as it's supposed to be colder tonight where we are and my other option was to put his 200g t/o with neck on as well as the 300g but felt this may be overkill and then make him sweat. Taking a stable rug down tomorrow so that I can maybe condense my layering down to 2 rugs

meleeka

Visit site
One of mine is in a 400g with leg wraps and the other two were naked until tonight and now have 100g on because they were chilly. They are all natives but one has Cushings is getting on a bit.

skint1

Visit site
My 18yo IDx with a bib clip has got a 300g Premier Equine on, he's stabled at night out during the day- well he'll probably be in most of the time for the next few days- I am worrying now if he might be cold, I might add his 100 combo to the mix, or maybe his 40g, I am trying to resist the urge to over-rug him!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Irish clip, prone to dropping weight pssm horse has a 200g with a 300g over the top.

Unclipped (but no useful coat to speak of, as in, I grow better fur) slim princess mare has a 200g with a rain sheet over.

Hairy unclipped connemara type has nothing

sarahann1

Visit site
100g no neck on my mare who’s got a sort of part blanket clip. Went up to check her expecting her to be tepid at best and possibly have to put something underneath and she was toasty warm. She lives out :)

Beth206

Visit site
We are in West Yorkshire, currently -5 and we have about 3" snow.

My mare is a traditional cob, had a high trace clip in November which has started to grow out but still very visible. Had her in a 50g up until yesterday but have added her 100g tonight as she felt quite cold and it was blowing a gale. Other 2 horses on my yard are in 300g+ with necks; 1 unclipped tb and one clydes x.

AmieeT

Visit site
I’ve had R in a 100g with neck today- he’s Welsh but 24 and tends to be shivery in horrid weather, and when it’s windy it’s very cold as their field is right at the top of a hill. A week ago he was naked in the sunshine!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I feel like I've under-rugged my horses now. 200g for the unclipped arthritic anglo arab and 300g total for the hunter clipped big lass. They were both toasty when checked at minus 6 and are in stables at night with plenty of forage... And we aren't getting the more extreme end of the weather. So I'm happy but much less worried than I was that they'll be too hot!

coss

Visit site
IDxTBxAnglo arab trace clipped living out (access to field shelter but the snow is blowing straight in) - 300g with neck and put a 100g turnout under it (that way both rugs are waterproof should snow get under the top rug.
anglo arab x welsh section b - irish clip living out (natural shelter from trees but wind direction being a pest) 300g with neck. Got too hot 2 days ago, went down to 200g, then wind chill picked up so back in the 300g and he's warm but no longer hot
unclipped retired arab - living out with horse 2 - 300g with neck. Struggles to maintain weight so not needing to shiver any off.

All 3 have started casting. All on ad-lib hay

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site

Was that on the BD fb page?

If so mine was the big white elephant naked who still hasnt grown out his second clip fm november and is on holiday for an injury and fat.....very very fat. He is warm to touch so im happy.

My other one is unclipped but in a 200g as he feels the cold and looses weight easliy