What weight rugs are yours wearing?

Archangel

Visit site
19 year old chunk of a horse, living out with field shelter and no rug. He has grown his own deep triple layer fur creation and is like a giant pom pom but any sign of being unhappy/cold I will rug.

HashRouge

Visit site
My Arab is in a middle weight with neck cover. No idea what it's official weight is! She only had that on yesterday, as we are due heavy snow over the next two days and she lives out (she's 25). Before that she was in a middle weight with no neck. The Welsh is currently still naked but I have asked the YO to put his rug on this morning ready for the heavy snow, as I just can't bring myself to leave him without! However, I added the caveat of "if you can catch him". If she can't, we'll assume he's fine! I can't get down there until the weekend due to work and road conditions (I'd be going after dark and am very anxious about black ice). They don't have a field shelter, but the bottom of their field is nice and out of the wind, and they are getting ad lib hay which they'll like.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Was that on the BD fb page?

If so mine was the big white elephant naked who still hasnt grown out his second clip fm november and is on holiday for an injury and fat.....very very fat. He is warm to touch so im happy.

My other one is unclipped but in a 200g as he feels the cold and looses weight easliy

Not sure where I saw it, I've seen several posts across many page. If the clip has still not grown out, you're never going to get the "snow on the back" insulation to keep in the heat they're burning fat off to produce, so I still stand by what I say when the temperatures have dropped so suddenly and so dramatically for our climate. Surely without the natural coat on the back, they'll just get soaked to the skin and freeze if left out recently clipped in this? And possibly not on a huge amount of hay if very overweight? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm always happy to learn something new.

Antw23uk

Visit site
My two sports horses have spent the winter in 100g lightweights but they are hairy monsters out of work. When it goes below -5 they get a 100g rug liner added (who knew rug liners where so awesome) and this week they have had the liners on a couple of nights but whipped off during the day but today they have stayed on and will till the weekend .... so after all that rambling .. currently in 200g each. Toasty warm and probably too fat for the 1st March!

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Fat ID x blanket clipped is in a 200g medium weight with detachableneck and a 100g PE rug liner. Unclipped connie is in a similar setup. 'Feels like' temp today is -12. Neither horse feels hot under their rugs (or cold for that matter) just a softly warm temp. They're standing in their stables at the moment as the weather is howlingly bad outside.

pansymouse

Visit site
My 25 yo TB x Section D has a growing out chaser clip and is out 24/7 in a 100g with a 200g liner and a 100g neck. I only upgraded to the 200g liner and 100g neck two days ago. She's like a furnace but I am feed a huge amount of hay and have doubled her linseed ration.

Amye

Visit site
My warmblood is clipped but legs and face left on, he's out in a 350grm. He's a warm horse anyway and a bit fat.

It is pretty miserable over here!

DressageCob

Visit site
Fully clipped somewhat chubby cob is in 200g. Fully clipped non-chubby cob is also in 200g, but with a back on track mesh rug underneath.

TheMule

Visit site
I do think some people just go ridiculously overboard and it must become quite uncomfortable for the horse. Plus try wrapping yourself up so much that you can't move freely- you get colder. Modern rugs don't need the same amount of layering as the older systems so for a horse to be wearing 3 or 4 rugs is just unecessary IMO, especially when a couple are turnouts.
Anyway, all mine live out unclipped but some have been rugged heavier all winter to keep the coat finer for riding.
I have 1 in 450g full neck, 1 in 300g full neck, 1 in 100g, 1 in LW, 2 yearlings in 50g all feeling appropriately warm. They also have ad-lib haylage

xDundryx

Visit site
2 TBs, one blanket clipped and the other with a high trace, both in a heavyweight Turnout with neck. Both just a nice temperature and seem happy enough. I don't like piling on rugs as they slip get twisted etc x

albeg

Visit site
Fully clipped (but growing out) in a 370(ish)g body and think the neck is 100g. Lives out 24/7 with a group, a shelter and lots of haylage and is toasty.

abbijay

Visit site
The blanket clipped Clydesdale has had his 250g stable rug on at night for ages. He was a touch cool last night as the snow was blowing into his barn stable and it was -7C so I popped his neoprene hoody on and left him with extra haylage, he's on ad lib anyway but I put extra in as I expect him to eat more. He was warm again by the time I left.
Today they're having a duvet day as the yard is a white out and not safe to get out.

AFB

Visit site
Hunter clipped, wearing 100g standard neck & 250 full neck (100g added last night, up to now been fine in the 250g)

Visit site
Fat natives (18 and 8 yrs old) are in 100gram turnouts without necks; 16yo TB is in middle weight (not sure on its exact weight) with a neck; 28yo Shetland (who has a clip which has 3/4 grown back) is in fleece with rain sheet over the top.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Not sure where I saw it, I've seen several posts across many page. If the clip has still not grown out, you're never going to get the "snow on the back" insulation to keep in the heat they're burning fat off to produce, so I still stand by what I say when the temperatures have dropped so suddenly and so dramatically for our climate. Surely without the natural coat on the back, they'll just get soaked to the skin and freeze if left out recently clipped in this? And possibly not on a huge amount of hay if very overweight? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm always happy to learn something new.

He isnt skin, has a bit of fur on him. Just uploading to imagur and will try on get it on here

He is on adbi small holed as he has just recovered from ulcers. Part of his hay ration is a huge bucket of oat straw. Not a lot more i can do

Boysy

Visit site
3 recently (last week) full clipped natives out 24/7, no grass in the field and I can't ad-lib hay as one of them is EMS and does not have an off button so just gorges if he has the chance and ends up in an episode even in mid-winter. 19yr arthritic in 300g turnout with 200g liner and a snuggy hood type neck cover, 14yr old in 100g turnout and 200g liner (he's the EMS and gets very hot very quickly) and the 19yr old in a 100g turnout with 150g liner.

All are carrying too much weight for my liking at this time of yr when I like to see a good hint of ribs when they turn, they have been coming in for a break from the weather during the day, we have true -5 daytime and up to -11 with the wind chill, they have all been shivering first thing when I bring them in, that lasts 5mins tops once they are in out of the wind. Last night for the first time I went back up late to bring them in for the night, they had not eaten up the hay in the field and were down the bottom, they wandered up slowly and came in, this morning none of them had finished their hay in the stables and when I put them out with hay they all wandered off down the field again to stand in the hedge line.

I'm not worried about them shivering a bit as I know they aren't in the field as I check them a few times, it is just when they know their food is coming as they do it of a night when I am preparing buckets for them, I am not too worried about them leaving the hay either as they are carrying enough weight, what I am worried about is their water intake as 2 will smash the ice and drink as much as they want whereas the 3rd will only drink tepid water in this weather and I haven't had a running tap or trough now for a week..............

I think everyone knows their own horse/pony well enough to sort their rugging out for them, I know that the 300g turnout that I hoofed out of storage 2 days ago hasn't seen the light of day in probably 6yrs or more.......

Casey76

Visit site
B has been in a 200g with 200g neck for most of winter without any issues. T is currently in 600g (300g stable rug with belly band and a 300g turnout) and a cape and she still isn’t that happy (happier today as it’s been warmer)

We’ve had daytime temps of -15C without the windchill. Only today when it warmed up to -7C did the snow start. Temps get closer to 0 as the days go on, and I can’t wait to delayer!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Both out in exposed field with little shelter. One with dealer clip is in a 200gm and one with same clip but not the full belly off is in 100gm. Tonight because of the horrendous gale that's whipping the snow across the field I've put necks on them. They have haylage but weren't that interested in it preferring to root for grass instead.

Sophire

Visit site
Retired WB is out naked! Fully clipped TB is in wearing 3 rugs amounting to 600g. Bandaged all round but due to box rest for an injury and not because of the weather.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
https://i.imgur.com/VPFxmdz.jpg

He is out during the day and in at night

He's rather round I agree :D but glad to see he has some insulating fluff and sheltered at night. OCD clipper here thinks "not yet grown out " means still bald enough to prevent sweating !

Checked my baldies last night and very toasty in 350g with hay , hopefully that's the end of the severe freezing .... And horses with 1100g and 4 rugs might be able to stand upright again ;)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
2 arabs clipped out both in 350g full neck turnouts out during day in at night because the ground is solid and the water keeps freezing in the field although they have been out most nights this winter, I don't normally do neck rugs as they rub the mane out but its been so cold and windy I felt it wont hurt for a week, both feel toasty warm but they do get as much hay as they want to eat in this weather, I would rather put one big on I find putting lots of layers on must feel restrictive and heavy for them.