What would I realistically need to pay?

Michen

Visit site
Vaguely looking at adverts and cannot see what I’m looking for at some point (a unicorn) or even any consistency with prices. There are intermediate horses at the same price as BE90 horses and it just seems really varied.

Basically I’d be looking for something that’s fairly established, eventing at least 90/100 and will be very forgiving of my many mistakes. Needs to be a bombproof hack. No older than 10. Completely pass a vet including x rays. Whilst bombproof it also needs to be a fun ride, I can’t stand a plod. No mares as more expensive to import to USA.

Is 20-25k a reasonable budget to get this?? Or am I dreaming? Do these kind of unicorns even get advertised on the open market or snapped up through word of mouth?

ihatework

Visit site
You should get it for 25 if you are patient but the really clean on vetting that have a couple of solid seasons behind them aren’t actually that abundant. That would be a solid 90/100 that might step up to novice but really not looking scopey enough for bigger tracks.

It’s very subtle why one horse can sell well and another struggle. How pretty/flash, how rideable for the amateur, how good the record is on paper (this can be very deceptive).

The horses you will find more readily in that budget will be the 5yo that has done half a season with a pro and is a bread and butter sell on - these come with risk for what you would want. Or a slightly older, hit the limit and coming back down - great if you want a schoolmaster pick up and go but you’ll be lucky to get something clean on vetting.

millitiger

Visit site
I'd say the higher end of year your budget is possible, if you are patient.

Fun, safe, mildly talented, with a proven record and clean vetting and x-rays are not quite unicorns but almost!

Mine fits most of your criteria, although probably a touch dull for you to ride, and was valued at £30k last year.
Horse prices have softened slightly since then.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I think you need to make a list of absolute must haves (3-4) and nice to have. If the clean vetting is your priority along with great to hack that is probably a different proposition to a couple of seasons and ability.

For instance I have one who meets 80% of your criteria but actually is not your type at all as will be too big and has only competed at 80cm

Don’t rule out a sjer - you are confident xc so as long as not spooky will compensate in the bit you are not so confident with.

Last edited:

blitznbobs

Visit site
Safe established and sound for 25 k and under 10? You would have to be fairly lucky tbh perhaps a horse that want coping at a higher level might be your best bet but tbh it’s what lots and lots of people are looking for

Goldenstar

Visit site

Would thrive with a confident rider alarm bells need to ring .

Lady Jane

Visit site
I think your budget should get you what you want but may be difficultto find. No idea how tall you are? Would an over size sporty connie hit the spot? You don't say what your ambitions are eventing wise? ie do you want to go beyond BE90?

Michen

Visit site
Thanks everyone. My reason for a clean vetting is because with the cost of import you are already adding another 15k to it and I just want to try and at least start with something that doesn’t have a problem.

I probably won’t go for a Connie type again as nothing will compare to my current guy and I think I need a different ride.

Also don’t really want anything more than 16.2hh at the absolute maximum. 16hh would be better.

I’m not ready to buy at the moment, I would possibly do so if said unicorn appeared in the autumn (so I guess a couple of months). Spring would more ideal but if I found something sooner I’d keep it in livery in the UK for winter.

I need something super solid XC that really takes you to a fence. My current guy was basically born for XC and even though he was tricky in many ways when it came to filling you with confidence xc he was amazing and was never, ever green.

90 cm ideally established but something established at 100 would be better so I feel like it’s very within the horses cabability to help me out.

It’s dressage can be rubbish, the standard is so bad here anyway a 80/90 test that would be a 35-40 in the UK is sub 30 here 🤣 and no championships etc to chase.

Michen

Visit site
I’m 5’7 and reasonably light at 9stone 7 ish if I’m not stuffing my face because of horse trauma 🤣. I just think a Connie would be too similar to my current guy and I’d be comparing.

I would love to do a 100 one day!

I think your budget should get you what you want but may be difficultto find. No idea how tall you are? Would an over size sporty connie hit the spot? You don't say what your ambitions are eventing wise? ie do you want to go beyond BE90?

LEC

Visit site
Thanks everyone. My reason for a clean vetting is because with the cost of import you are already adding another 15k to it and I just want to try and at least start with something that doesn’t have a problem.

I probably won’t go for a Connie type again as nothing will compare to my current guy and I think I need a different ride.

Also don’t really want anything more than 16.2hh at the absolute maximum. 16hh would be better.

I’m not ready to buy at the moment, I would possibly do so if said unicorn appeared in the autumn (so I guess a couple of months). Spring would more ideal but if I found something sooner I’d keep it in livery in the UK for winter.

I need something super solid XC that really takes you to a fence. My current guy was basically born for XC and even though he was tricky in many ways when it came to filling you with confidence xc he was amazing and was never, ever green.

90 cm ideally established but something established at 100 would be better so I feel like it’s very within the horses cabability to help me out.

It’s dressage can be rubbish, the standard is so bad here anyway a 80/90 test that would be a 35-40 in the UK is sub 30 here 🤣 and no championships etc to chase.
The AECS have champs divisions for everyone! Plus amateur is defined. There is also a long format classic 3 day every year.

Michen

Visit site
The AECS have champs divisions for everyone! Plus amateur is defined. There is also a long format classic 3 day every year.
Those things involve crazy travel across states and effort that I just wouldn’t go to! I just would love to have a bit of fun at 3/4 events a year.

Equi

Visit site
I’ve sent you a pm with a contact who exports the type you seek regularly. She’s got a good eye!

Michen

Visit site
Thanks equi! I will look! I’m trying to think carefully about what I want.

Though, the thought of spending so much on a horse does make me feel a little sick when they are intent on finding ways to hurt themselves.

In writing this thread and my comment about wanting to event a few times a year (there are minimal “proper” events here in Co). I’m now thinking if it’s even worth spending money on a horse like that to do that. Maybe I should just be looking at youngsters and accepting I may need lots of professional help to make it into something all round.

sollimum

Visit site
Out of interest, I just googled horse prices for a nice trail horse in the USA and I hadn't realised the prices especially for cobs.

humblepie

Visit site
Totally outside the box and not fitting any of your criteria - do Godolphin or similar do ex racehorse re-homing in US where they’ve done the basics and you could spend the money on bringing on? Feel free to ignore!

LEC

Visit site
Thanks equi! I will look! I’m trying to think carefully about what I want.

Though, the thought of spending so much on a horse does make me feel a little sick when they are intent on finding ways to hurt themselves.

In writing this thread and my comment about wanting to event a few times a year (there are minimal “proper” events here in Co). I’m now thinking if it’s even worth spending money on a horse like that to do that. Maybe I should just be looking at youngsters and accepting I may need lots of professional help to make it into something all round.
I think in that case it’s not worth spending the money on that type of horse as 99% of time will be trail riding and lessons. You are not wildly ambitious and plenty of horses have enough talent to do what you want without spending £££ and instead spending it on training.

Palindrome

Visit site
Out of interest, I just googled horse prices for a nice trail horse in the USA and I hadn't realised the prices especially for cobs.
Cobs are fashionable and european horse breeds tend to come with a premium. Quarter horses, thoroughbreds, arabians are more reasonnably priced.

OP, have you looked at adverts within the US?
A nice thoroughbred or appendix quarter horse would probably do the job for you.

ihatework

Visit site
I think in that case it’s not worth spending the money on that type of horse as 99% of time will be trail riding and lessons. You are not wildly ambitious and plenty of horses have enough talent to do what you want without spending £££ and instead spending it on training.

200% agree.
Most of the time it’s chemistry between horse and rider plus ‘good enough’ riding and training.

Ossy2

Visit site
I think you should be ok with that kind of budget especially going into winter.
I’ve seen this one recently

TPO

Visit site
If your top budget is £25k plus £15k import plus vetting(s)/xrays etc then local transport costs to/from quarantine and yards that exceeds £40k. That's roughly >$51k.

Is it really impossible to find RC all-rounder/low level eventer for <$50k in your state/America? 😲

On a separate note thr QH x TB suggestion is a good one. There was a stud (Mendip?) making that cross here. There are some really cracking, useful sorts. I'm not sure why they haven't caught on over here.

Your (specific) relationship with a horse is so important would you not prefer to meet any prospects first? Whoever comes next is going to have big shoes to fill and I know how hard it will be for you. Wishing you thr best whatever you decide

TPO

Visit site
I think you should go for something totally different and get a mustang from the BML sales.
Or as well as. I was stalking their auctions and some were selling for like $900. Would be such a cool experience!

100% not endorsing this suggestion, but...here's a great book (for anyone, not specifically unhandled feral mustang trainers) on thr subject