What would I realistically need to pay?

Cragrat

Visit site
Do you follow Tamarack Hill Farm, Denny Emmerson, on FB?

This is an older post, but wow what a horse! Changed my view of Morgans. (and he did say in a different post that showing them camped out was not something he understood)

If you messaged Denny Emmerson, he would likely be able to put you in touch with some Morgans. He is very passionate about them :)

Michen

Visit site
Do you follow Tamarack Hill Farm, Denny Emmerson, on FB?

This is an older post, but wow what a horse! Changed my view of Morgans. (and he did say in a different post that showing them camped out was not something he understood)

If you messaged Denny Emmerson, he would likely be able to put you in touch with some Morgans. He is very passionate about them :)

No but I’ll look! Thank you!

I am going to hunt for some other Morgan Facebook groups.

palo1

Visit site
No but I’ll look! Thank you!

I am going to hunt for some other Morgan Facebook groups.
I have known a couple of Morgans and nearly bought one: the ones I have had anything to do with have been fab, fun, clever horses.

feesh

Visit site
(I also really want you to get a Canadian, but finding one with an eventing record will be even harder than finding a Morgan... )

(I have a significant soft spot for "a little bit of everything because who can afford more than one horse" breeds.)

Jellymoon

Visit site
I was also going to say a Morgan, coming no experience of them whatsoever, but I also follow Denny Emerson and he raves about them being super versatile all rounders.
He seems to be a huge advocate of the breed and he may respond to you if you were to DM him and offer some recommended breeders/producers…

Jellymoon

Visit site
And yes, as others said, the Morgan showing people have them standing weird and then moving with a very high head carriage, but if you look at Denny’s ones, they don’t look like that at all. They look like pretty connies crossed with something like a BRP with maybe a touch of Arab…sporty, not too big, fun, intelligent, moves, jumps, hacks for hours…I think we’d all be fighting over them up if they took off here!

palo1

Visit site
And yes, as others said, the Morgan showing people have them standing weird and then moving with a very high head carriage, but if you look at Denny’s ones, they don’t look like that at all. They look like pretty connies crossed with something like a BRP with maybe a touch of Arab…sporty, not too big, fun, intelligent, moves, jumps, hacks for hours…I think we’d all be fighting over them up if they took off here!
There are some good Morgan horse breeders here 🤩 One of Ben Atkinson's horses is a lovely UK Morgan.

2ndtimearound

Visit site
I did a short riding holiday down in Cornwall a few years back, which was learning Western riding on Morgans. I got to ride four different ones whilst I was there, and they were all great. Fun and forward, and really liked to march out in walk. Sounds like a good call to me!

ihatework

Visit site
There is a very useful Morgan sire in the UK called Mossrose Triumphant- a friends horse by him went to advanced

palo1

Visit site
There is a very useful Morgan sire in the UK called Mossrose Triumphant- a friends horse by him went to advanced
He is a very nice horse! I very nearly bought a similarly bred horse a few years ago. No regrets with my actual purchase but I was very impressed with the Morgans, and they are beautiful too.

Birker2020

Visit site
Vaguely looking at adverts and cannot see what I’m looking for at some point (a unicorn) or even any consistency with prices. There are intermediate horses at the same price as BE90 horses and it just seems really varied.

Basically I’d be looking for something that’s fairly established, eventing at least 90/100 and will be very forgiving of my many mistakes. Needs to be a bombproof hack. No older than 10. Completely pass a vet including x rays. Whilst bombproof it also needs to be a fun ride, I can’t stand a plod. No mares as more expensive to import to USA.

Is 20-25k a reasonable budget to get this?? Or am I dreaming? Do these kind of unicorns even get advertised on the open market or snapped up through word of mouth?
deleted

sky1000

Visit site
In the Little House on the Prairie series Almanzo Wilder drove two Morgans, Prince and Lady, and when Laura Ingalls agreed to marry him her mother worried that it was his horses she liked (I don't have the book to hand so might have details wrong, but premise is basically that)

wispagold

Visit site
I had a morgan x Welsh sec B, she was a cracking pony. I got her as a 4yr old when I was 12. We did all the pony club teams and BSPS workers. She was by Taproot Green Mountain Boy. She was a fantastic hunting pony, jumped everything you pointed her at. I passed her onto my 2 younger sisters. One hilarious moment was my sisters first hunter trials with her. There was always an element where you had to open and shut a gate. My sister didn't quite bring her back enough on the approach and pony happily popped straight over the 5 bar gate! She was only 14hh.

Ultimately she had an accident out hunting and damaged a ligament. We rehabbed her but she was late teens at this point we made the decision not to bring her back into full work and risk her damaging it again. She went back to her breeder and had a couple of lovely foals. She is in her 30s now and still going strong. She had rock hard feet, although they were tiny and boxy. Never had a day sick until her accident. She did have a very stubborn streak and was not without her quirks, but was extremely careful and clever jumping. I would definitely have another!

Michen

Visit site
Ummm, would love some opinions. I don't want to post the photos on here as they are watermarked but on facebook "Country Wild Photography", the first photos posted of the bay stoof up and loose jumping. 15.3hh just broken in morgan.

It's in Canada and I'm in the UK now for 2.5 weeks, I'd want to go see it so kind of letting fate decide if he's not sold, as I could fly back via Calgary to view... (He's in canada)

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Ummm, would love some opinions. I don't want to post the photos on here as they are watermarked but on facebook "Country Wild Photography", the first photos posted of the bay stoof up and loose jumping. 15.3hh just broken in morgan.

It's in Canada and I'm in the UK now for 2.5 weeks, I'd want to go see it so kind of letting fate decide if he's not sold, as I could fly back via Calgary to view... (He's in canada)
Yes. Let fate decide and if fate decides I buy him first, then so be it. 🤣