What would you do?

How many do you smoke per day? (approx.)

• Total voters

Tia

Visit site
Trouble is, by taking the booking in the first place we have accepted that they can come. I have only had a couple of folk that I wasn't too keen on but I just got on with it. As you say it is my wage at the end of the day. Thankfully at least 99.9% of my customers are terrific!

Tia

Visit site
I really wish the person who voted "yes" would give me some input here. I want to hear ALL thoughts.....perhaps they have a very valid point that would be helpful in figuring this one out.

bandit

Visit site
i went on a trial ride in the STates a few years ago, and even though i declared my weight on a form, i was also weighed there and then.

i did feel slightly offended, but the horses are alot smaller over there, and frankly it is only fair!!!

and as for you not wanting to offend people - i thought your shoulders were far to slippy for htings like that to stick!!! LOL!

Don't book them!!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Another way to look at is is that reputation gets spread by word of mouth, so if you keep them happy (even if you do it through gritted teeth) they will then recommend you to their friends and so on. A bad reputation only has to started from one unhappy customer.

Either that or you could so what i said in my previous post?? I dont think that is a horrible way of putting it.

Niamhy

photobucket.com
Tia,

A friend of mine worked on a trail ride ranch type place in San Diego for a summer recently.

They had a weighing scales at the yard, and weighed everyone. It was something to do with Insurance, they had signs clearly stating that there was a weight limit, and if you were over that weight they didnt have horses suitable for you.

(They also had 2 shires as weight carriers)

I cant remember what the weight limit was but I think it was around 220.

Anywho my friend was also telling me they had to have signs up everywhere re horses are no machines etc. Had people trying to sue cos a horse bit them (lady was seen shoving her hand into the horses mouth) Someone tried to sue cos the saddle was too hard. I kid you not.

Anywho I know your in Canada so not quite the same as America, but the weighing scales seemed to be the norm where my friend was.

If you just dont like these people however, Im not sure how to get out of it.

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! Oh I think perhaps I am just making a mountain out of a molehill......it's just you know what I am like....I don't like doing things that I don't want to do, LOL!!

Tia

Visit site
That's the thing - our farm has a really good reputation around here which is why if I do meet folks that I'm not keen on I still am nice to them because you never know whom they may tell.

Sooty

Visit site
Having just worked out in stones what your limit is, and read the height of these people, I think you will need to consider installing some sort of hoist before you start worrying about how they actually ride!
shocked.gif
And I know of what I speak...
tongue.gif

Tia

Visit site
Perhaps that could be an idea - getting an old fashioned set of scales parked in the garden, LOL!! I only have little bathroom scales
blush.gif
and I'm not even sure they work!

I do often have people who are over 200lbs, that doesn't worry me but I do have a wee bit of an issue when people book and waffle on about how much they weigh when I am darn sure they weigh more.

Weighing set may be the way to go for the future....doesn't help today though and I think if I dug out the bathroom scales they really would be most offended.

Tia

Visit site
Problem is my blooming insurance doesn't specify a weight limit and there is nothing on the waiver forms stating this either.

Tia

Visit site
I have a giant 16.3hh 1500lb Appaloosa - my delightful Spotty Horse!

And Kate and Jessie (although much smaller) are good for just under 200lbs.

I have never taken a booking with more than one heavy person though - but if I did then I would send them onto another trail riding place.....husband does though!

Tia

Visit site
I do have cattle stocks which are about 2 and a half foot from the ground and this is how people get on - I never allow them to mount from the ground. However at 5'5" I am not sure that the stocks would help them mount a giant 16.3hh.

Tia

Visit site
No, I'm not a shire-girl!
grin.gif

Most of the QH's here are very stocky and even though they are small they are quite up to carrying weight....it's just me who has the issue. Most QH's are only around 15hh.

Vicki1986

Visit site
Cancel the ride - let them re-book , when they come back make sure you have a set of scales and a new weight policy pinned up in large letters explaining the weight limits. maybe get a few 'dummy' customers to get on the scales etc to show that its the same for everyone even the skinny minnies. then you can check their weight and if they are too heavy say no!

its the welfare of YOUR animals at the end of the day! are they going to pay when your horse is crippled by their lard arse on their back?! me thinks not!

rema

Visit site
That is quite a high weight limit.I thought 250lbs was about 14 stone.Shows how good at maths i am lol.Can you not tie two horses together!!.Only kidding!.If you are not comftable with them riding then thats your descision.You have a weight limit there for a reason.!!.
grin.gif

hellyt1

Visit site
I think Kelly1982 is right, blame hubby saying very nicely that he was the only person available to take the booking and he doesn't know what he's talking about hence you will unfortunatley have to cancel. might be a small white lie but it will solve the problem hopefully without offending. maybe suggest somewhere else they could try, or tell them you would love to help them out and will call them if you find yourself with suitable horses for them in future, you always keep an eye out for horses so you might find your situation changes etc, then don't!!
grin.gif

sojeph

Visit site
Haven't read all through but could you not say that your weight carrier/carriers are out of action at present (illness/lameness/on holiday/loaned out) and that you'll get back to them when they return/recover and then just not!! and/or perhaps steer them towards another place.

tarbra

www.lulu.com
Here is your out if you want it:
wink.gif

Get the scales out and tell her your new rule is everyone is weighed because of your new insurance policy, tell her you know have to keep a record of everyone’s weight. Show her a made up weight record book if you like. You can just put lots of bogus names and weights and dates in it. This little white lie saves you looking like you are being rude, if they refuse to be weighed you are then entitled to refuse anyone on the grounds of your bogus insurance policy.
No embarrassment this way, lol.
laugh.gif
Linda

Sal_E

Visit site
I haven't read the replies, but can you not have scales on the yard & make weighing them part of a 'health & safety' card you have on every rider? You can also ask for next of kin (you might scare them though!), height, level of riding experience & a few other things... You could also record what horse they are allocated & build up a record of each customer.

Sorry if loads of people have said this!

Zebedee

Visit site
Feel a bit sorry for the lady you couldn't get rid of! She was obviously desperate to impress you & maybe form some kind of bond with you!
If these were people you liked would you be having this dilema? I used to have to take some real dorks out, & just had to keep telling myself that it was only for an hour (or two!) & that they were really enjoying themselves.