What would you think, re dodgy seller.

old hand

Visit site
yes I tell them if I like the horse I will have vetting, and will have bloods run before I pick it up, one of the biggest dealers in the country refused to let me look at any of their horses. I explained very politely that it would , in fact, cover both of us - me for the purchase and them as I wouldn't be able to claim from them later on if all was clear when the horse was picked up but no go. However, the lamest horse I ever bought had a completely clean vetting and bloods from the biggest Vet Centre in the south so sometimes even that doesn't work - he had cancer.

Makemineacob

Visit site
Always run a mile if an vendor is reluctant to have a vetting. You've had a very lucky escape and the perfect horse is out there waiting for you, this one was not destined to be for you.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
As a buyer I would be deeply suspicious of a horse that I knew very little about, in effect taking it on trust that everything was OK and gambling with £2k of my money. If you are planning to insure it, you will almost certainly require to have some degree of vetting in order to establish that there are no pre-existing conditions.

As a seller I would prefer that the horse was vetted, simply to prevent the "You knowingly sold me a dud!" arguement if something turns up shortly after the sale, it protects both of you!

Trust your gut instinct....there are lots of stunning horses out there.....

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Just to clarify, you don't need a vetting to insure a horse if the value of the horse is under a certain amount. The insurance company will ask you if you had a vetting and if you are aware of any pre existing conditions / injuries the horse has had, but usually for a horse under a certain value (depends on the insurer but usually 3-5k) you don't require a vetting at all. You cannot lie about having a vetting either.

Anyway, I would walk away from this horse- another one will be out there for you!

applecart14

Visit site
Proper dodgy, experienced vet friend had similar recently. Kept being put off seeing the horse with the vendor coming out with excuses as to why she couldn't see it. This was because friend had stated she wanted it vetted prior to having it, the vendor knew she was also a vet, the next thing the horse is for resale and at a vastly reduced price. Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware. And in this case you were.

sasquatch

Visit site
My boy was £2200 and we bought him off my old yard owner and still had him vetted at our expense. Even though he'd been vetted about a year and a half before we bought him, and YO said he has passed then, she didn't mind at all that we got him vetted again.

2K is still a lot of money to spend, especially if the horse ends up with further bills from being lame. I'd be very suspicious of any seller selling a horse and not allowing a vetting, especially if they say the horse is sound and 100% in all ways.

Could it also maybe be that the horse is hard to sell, or the seller wants him gone ASAP? so that's why she has possibly made up this buyer to get you to buy him and take him which has backfired on her.