What's all this about? Daily Mail on Phoebe Buckley and Zara Phillips

Beanyowner

Visit site
I agree Dubs...I don't think she is being portrayed badly...just annoyed me about the expensive lorry and how she lives here, drives that and has the luxury of this when I think Zara has worked very hard for what she has acheived. Yes she has the benefits of royalty but she has to be a damned good rider to get where she is. Same applies for Buckley....she also has to be a damned good rider to be where she is otherwise she would have the horses etc to be able to do it.........guts and determination are clearly a trait of both these riders....it doesn't matter how much money you have!

mickey01

Visit site
It seems as if every year one of the (loose term) *newspapers* take upon themselves to rip Zara Phillips to pieces, purely because she is royal/Queen's granddaughter. Good coverage for the sport, yes, but this article made it look as if everyone was very judgemental and rude, frankly, which cannot be positive.

Personally I think she(ZP) is a very talented rider, and works very hard to go to Badminton etc. just like all of the other riders there and really they should get their facts right before they depict her as a snobby cow. Her royalty will only get her newspaper coverage, I doubt any 'special measures' have been taken to get Zara Phillips any further in equestrianism just because she is royal.

Complete congratulations to Phoebe Buckely though. Badminton is a massive achievment, one many thousands of riders dream of.
smile.gif

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
What a load of rubbish.... CR*P like that really REALLY annoys me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's rubbish - it's the Daily Mail. But it could be GREAT for Phoebe Buckley. Out there right now there is some marketing man thinking: "Mmmmm....impoverished girl takes on the Royals. Win or lose she's going to get publicity now that the DM & DE have 'found' her. A bit of sponsorship and we could hang onto her coat-tails!"
grin.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
Oh honestly... it's not exactly the first time around Badminton for either of them so how is this news? Must have been a slow news day! In fact isn't that picture a fence from Badminton (o or is it Burghley?) looks familiar for some reason anyway!

Who cares where either of them came from? It's where they're going that counts!

Good old Daily Mail... never found any paper better for mopping up puppy accidents and lining cat litter trays but not so hot on the whole boring 'facts' thing...

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

Her royalty will only get her newspaper coverage, I doubt any 'special measures' have been taken to get Zara Phillips any further in equestrianism just because she is royal.

[/ QUOTE ]

AH - but don't you know that it is FAR easier to succeed when you are who you are!
grin.gif
I remember WAY back in - um '76 it must have been, Princess Anne came to Oz and was being interviewed about her equestrian success. The interviewer said: "But it must be far easier for someone like you!" HRH nearly exploded and her then husband, Mark Phillips, piped up quickly: "The HORSES don't know who she is!"

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What a load of rubbish.... CR*P like that really REALLY annoys me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's rubbish - it's the Daily Mail. But it could be GREAT for Phoebe Buckley. Out there right now there is some marketing man thinking: "Mmmmm....impoverished girl takes on the Royals. Win or lose she's going to get publicity now that the DM & DE have 'found' her. A bit of sponsorship and we could hang onto her coat-tails!"
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, that would be fantastic! I've got my fingers crossed for her
smile.gif
Not sure how I can hang on to her coat-tails though!
tongue.gif

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree Dubs...I don't think she is being portrayed badly...just annoyed me about the expensive lorry and how she lives here, drives that and has the luxury of this when I think Zara has worked very hard for what she has acheived. Yes she has the benefits of royalty but she has to be a damned good rider to get where she is. Same applies for Buckley....she also has to be a damned good rider to be where she is otherwise she would have the horses etc to be able to do it.........guts and determination are clearly a trait of both these riders....it doesn't matter how much money you have!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

In fact, the chances are, that coming from a travelling family, Phoebie Buckley was probably brought up with horses from the day she was born, and has probably had more hands on experience, hour for hour, than Zara Phillips has, so has an advantage in that sense. It's all swings and roundabouts.

I agree that, regardless of status, both women have worked incredibly hard to get where they are, and the Cinderella story just adds a nice fairytale touch, and a shed load of publicity for Badminton Horse Trials.

Kenzo

Visit site
I think its good that people from all walks of life get to compete and full fill their dreams, if that girls wins or at least gets a good place, I will cry, cry with happiness that she has done so well on a horse that cost near to nothing, it the hard work and dedication that shows, not how much things cost.

I wish her all the luck in the world.
smile.gif

Ezme

Visit site
I've just realised I've seen her at quite a few events because I took a real shine to her horse! The way she stayed on at..... pinin or outlander bank or whatever it's called this year was incredible!

Rachel_M

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think some people are missing the point a bit tbh.

IMHO, the article simply uses Zara as a direct comparison, because of who she is. I don't think she is being portrayed badly.

It's a feel good story, that will hopefully, inspire every hard working rider out there, and give them the motivation to succeed.
It also gives the sport publicity, and because Britain loves an underdog, there will probably be many more people turning on their TV's this weekend to cheer her on.
More viewers equals better ratings for the beeb, and hopefully that will lead to continued or increased TV coverage, which is a bonus for all of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Dubs. It is just showing the different spectrum of competitors competing- Not all are rich snobs- and hopefully it will work towards distilling the image that all horse competitors are Rupert Campbell Black lemmings.

I say good for her.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I like her very much and she's a cracking rider

[/ QUOTE ]

She certainly is - and has a very, very good horse.

I wonder if they'll run a story again once Badminton has finished commending her on finishing on her very superior little horse!