whats the biggest thing that would put you off buying a horse?

Boxers

Visit site
I enquired about a horse and the owner 'befriended' me on facebook so that I could see more photos of the horse. I also scrolled down her wall (nosy me) and found that the horse had been lame on 2 occasions (she told me he had never been lame) and also she often commented on there about bad behaviour from the horse, napping, bucking etc. So I was not going to go back to her, but she contacted me and I told her what I had read on her facebook. She promptly deleted her facebook account!

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Some vices put me off eg Windsucking/cribbing, weaving ... dont mind a biter though. Headshaking deffo a no no, it would drive me mad!! Long sloping pasturns make me cringe (they freak me out), capped hocks and sweet itch. Thats all i can think of atm :D

Rachellouise1

Visit site
Mine box walks and if I'd known I proabably would have still bought her!! It is really annoying though!! The last one weaved, in the lorry as well!! She also loaded and travelled badly and when we were looking for the replacement I stated several times that I wanted one that was easy as to take anywhere and the one that box walks is perfect out and about!!! The only one I wouldn't ever tolerate again was a rearer - in hand and when ridden, he wouldn't go anywhere off the yard. I love hacking, so he was sold.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Napping and rearing. I have had one of each and it shattered my confidence and made me really unhappy. I can deal with bucking, leaping, spooking but those two now reduce me to a quivering heap :(

Firewell

Visit site
Bad to shoe.

Having had a horse that was awful to shoe and struggling for years every time the farrier came that would be a total no no. I've had horses that were bad to load and that has been rectified but my horse that was bad to shoe never got over the fear. We got round it and got her shod everytime but it was a huge headache and I would dread the farrier coming.

Firewell

Visit site
Bad to shoe.

Having had a horse that was awful to shoe and struggling for years every time the farrier came that would be a total no no. I've had horses that were bad to load and that has been rectified but my horse that was bad to shoe never got over the fear. We got round it and got her shod everytime but it was a huge headache and I would dread the farrier coming.

juliette

Visit site
I'd avoid a horse that bolts as my last one did that and it was scary!

I'd also avoid one with COPD my current one has that and it is a worry and something you have to manage all the time. Having siad that i love him to bits and i suppose noone is perfect!

silverstar

Visit site
rearing, napping, bucking, windsuckers, cribbers, rubbish flat feet, horses with wind problems i.e. COPD, horses that wont stand to be shod, horses that are really bad to catch, windgalls and horses that have separation anxiety. Oh and sarcoids.

I dont mind a horse that weaves as long as its not really really bad and I dont mind splints as long as they're cold.

So goodness knows how Im going to get another horse.

JustMe22

Visit site
Won't phone up about POA adverts.

For a horse to buy..if you exclude major conformation faults (which I assume we do..). Um..completely uncontrollable bolting.

Bailey_Noxy

Visit site
Well, i never had much money to throw at posh well behaved ponies, so my horse WAS a rearer, napper & a bolter. She wouldnt load or hack alone. But except for those minor faults (snigger, snigger) she was perfect :) But she was very pretty, no kicking or biting, clean legs and no conformation faults or stuff like scars or sarcoids. She was £1500 with full tack & rugs. So I went for it, and she's still my perfect horse six years later and most of her 'faults' are long gone. So I guess i was abit stupid, but over confident and on a budget and for once it paid off.

millitiger

Visit site
wouldn't buy anything with bad limb conformation.

otherwise, pretty open to most things but the price and talent of the horse would have to make up for any faults.

jumptoit

Visit site
just out on interest would people buy a horse that loaded but didnt travel well unless mildly sedated?

Personally no, as any horse I buy now would be to compete so a) it would have to travel often and b) it would probably be against the rules to use a sedative close to competition but if I didn't intend to travel the horse often then it wouldn't bother me.

only_me

Visit site
Anything with very poor conformation

Bad feet - ie. weak, crumbly sort of thing

And windsuckers or confirmed buckers that only want to get you off!

Enfys

Visit site
Bay/Chestnut/Brown.
Standardbred/ Thoroughbred/ Warmblood.
No papers - unless it was very small and very pretty.

Luci07

Visit site
Anything with very poor conformation

Bad feet - ie. weak, crumbly sort of thing

And windsuckers or confirmed buckers that only want to get you off!

Agree totally with the above. Also, though not sure how you can really work this out, anything without a strong sense of self preservation!! best horse I bought was one with a good eventing record and the picture of the then current owner hanging on for dear life over a trakener.. she was brilliant then and still great fun now..