What's the obsession with buckskins and duns?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have known bad ones ;) but they are pretty all the same. My first pony was one of the ultra golden coloured variety and I grew up riding an advanced eventer that was the same colour so I would love to have another, lots of fond memories of looking through those black tipped ears <3

Auslander

Visit site
they're much easier to get looking clean :D
I'm afraid I can't agree with you there...
15541426_10155224788055730_6855562936877097660_n.jpg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
LL bucksin with sooty :).

as well as primitive markings (dorsal through the tail, zebra marks on legs, dark face mask, cobwebbing on face and ear bars) the dun dilution on a bay has a different tone to it, often peachier. It is possible to have cream + dun too which looks like a paler real dun and is called a dunskin.

greymanes photo shows a great face mask!

Lexi_

Visit site
I love them purely because of this little dude who was about 100 years old and the darling of the riding school. I got to know his owner a bit later on and it turned out that Midge was the most amazing showjumper in his youth 😄

0C83EC66-0C15-41EB-BE34-A866D2D70F24.jpeg

BBP

Visit site
We have a grey, a black(ish, can’t remember what we all decided), a bay and a buckskin. The buckskin is definitely the best for looking respectable. Doesn’t look muddy like the grey, doesn’t look dusty like the blackish one, and well, the bay is short and fat and fluffy so hard to compare. Plus she goes from gold to chocolate and back again each year so keeps it interesting! That said, I think when the grey or black are looking sparkling they are actually more striking. The grey glows and the black has a shine that the buckskin can just never match.

ponies4ever

Visit site
I don't get it. I don't like the odd/barbie colours eg palomino, dun, roan, spotted. I wouldn't discount them but would prefer a more traditional colour although if anything has 4 good socks and a blaze I couldn't care less what colour it is I'm in love!

CMcC

Visit site
Best thing about having a dun/buckskin is when they are covered in mud, you brush them and the mud just blends into coat colour unlike greys.

TPO

Visit site
I was given a buckskin QH to work with and school when I worked in Australia back in the dark ages. It's because of her that I love buckskins and QHs. She was sharp as a tack
FB_IMG_1555712748977.jpg

Clodagh

Visit site
'You never get done by a dun'. :)

I have never owned one - too tight to cough up the extra funds - but I do love them.

katastrophykat

Visit site
I am a recent convert... I have a matching pair of buckskin section As- this is the older one at his first driven dressage last week. He warmed up in a particularly nasty bit of Storm Hannah just before this pic! I’m hoping his little brother is just as sensible and has a passion for pairs driving. He does go much brighter in summer- this is mid winter clipped coat shed!
157ACBC9-706A-4A02-B286-D815CAD7032C.jpeg

Visit site
I dont mind them but in shetlands its very hard ti find a good example of one. People who breed for colour ignore other vital things - like conformation! Same with this fashion for cremellos! Ive yet to meet a cremello shetland with half way decent conformation! Plus their eyes are weird.

Dont get me started on spotteds ...

No I would much rather have a nice grey or black!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My blue dun mare with bay dun foal. I also had a chestnut dun. Bay dun is the best colour for not showing dirt :)
gerpla and vordis.jpg

Reactions: TPO

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm really not sure I understand the general obsession to be honest. Although I appreciate the pretty colour and appreciate the interesting genetics even more. When actually horse shopping for me colour is at the bottom of the list. Which is why I end up with greys. Lol! I am so desperate for a bay or a chestnut next time! But know I'll just find the nicest horse in budget I can and it'll be another bloody grey.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I have a grey Connie and would snap off someone’s hand for a buckskin Connemara! My pony’s sire was the most beautiful dappled buckskin, and funnily enough so was my welsh a’s sire but mine are grey and black! I keep swearing I won’t have another grey as they are so high maintenance to compete but a buckskin would solve that problem nicely.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I think a good dapple grey is my favourite but I would never own another grey. I would also love a roan having had one as a kid. A nice bay is hard to beat but having a black Fell, I am a convert-black ponies look great in any colour! I like solid colours, not keen on coloureds but do like spotties more than I used to.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
People who breed for colour ignore other vital things - like conformation!
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...ns-and-duns.775570/page-2#ltvwP6Qr1mYaVfLU.99

Hear hear. Maybe even more in the USA than here! Am no expert on conformation but this looks so odd

View attachment 32153

Peculiar... but to be fair, you get strange-looking badly put-together horses in all colours. Responsible breeders will breed carefully and the irresponsible ones will exist in every category. It’s not too different to all the young warmbloods one sees breaking down.

Gallidgirl

Visit site
I’m in love with mine but more to do with she’s such a nice little thing ❤️

Attachments

• 0A4CC760-C5D9-481F-B723-0035524EA07E.jpeg
    0A4CC760-C5D9-481F-B723-0035524EA07E.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 17

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
How very dare you call my Pally a Barbie 😂
I do often wish I could dye her mane & tail & turn her into a dun - life would be easier 😬
Always loved the colour but another middle aged fuddy here who can't use the term "buckskin" just doesn't sound right to me 🙈

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1548518741561.jpg
    FB_IMG_1548518741561.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: TPO